Dd Was A Very Crummy Recruiter And Yet Won 4 Championships.

agw0038

Dickey won 4 rings and was not a very good recruiter. we are already starting to see the signs of That TD will bring a change. The question is, How big of a change can we expect in say a 3 or 4 year period. Assuming TD brings success how much better will the talent become. Can we ever compete with say a TCU or TECH for Recruits?

I don't know if DD was a crummy recruiter, he just had a different philosophy. He didn't want anyone to know who he was recruiting until signing day in the hopes of stealing a few recruits. This philosophy also sent a message, at least to me, that he was afraid to put NT's name out there fearing recruits would get stolen by other programs. This philosophy told me what DD's true attitude towards NT was, that he didn't think we could compete with anyone above the Sun Belt.

You aren't a crummy recruiter when you end up with the likes of:

Patrick Cobbs, Jamario Thomas, Johnny Quinn, Nick Zuniga, Brandon Kennedy, Adrian Awasome, Cody Spencer, Taylor Casey, etc... He also had a knack for finding "diamonds in the rough" that developed into outstanding players like Chris Hurd.

DD's other problem with recruiting was that he didn't hold his OC accountable for his lack of results.

To answer your question about our future with Dodge, we will compete with anyone as long as he is here, because he believes we can compete with them and doesn't downgrade NT.

Edited by UNTLifer

We have competed well against both in recent times and have wins over both. I discount the last game with Tech at TX Stadium as DD made it a forfeit by his failure to start Scott Hall. The last time the froggies got the gumption to play NT we had a freshman in Andrew Smith who was not nearly at his prime that early in the season and still stayed right with them with a strong D led by BK. A decisive WIN AGAINST SMUT in Dallas will start to raise eyebrows in the metroplex and put pressure for the metroplex privates to tee it up against UNT. We should set our sights on Tech & U of H as those are closer to being our peers than the $$$$ private schools.

Patrick Cobbs, Jamario Thomas, Johnny Quinn, Nick Zuniga, Brandon Kennedy, Adrian Awasome, Cody Spencer, Taylor Casey, etc... He also had a knack for finding "diamonds in the rough" that developed into outstanding players like Chris Hurd.

All great players who I had the honor of watching. But who replaced them? DD's well ran dry.

All great players who I had the honor of watching. But who replaced them? DD's well ran dry.

Exactly right. I don't know if "luck" is the best word for it...but Dickey's recruiting philosophy was to wait and see who the bigger boys didn't pick up...he found some gems without a doubt...however its a philosophy that doesn't play out over the long term.

Also, as great as the 4 straight SBC titles was...and I was there for all four years and all four bowl games...it does need to be said that the Sun Belt is a MUCH better and deeper conference then it was during those years. If you put the 2002 team that got Patrick Cobbs a national rushing title, or the 03 team that got J.T. the same, they would have had success last year, but I doubt either churns out 2000 yards.

Todd Dodge's recruiting philosophy has me incredibly excited. He has a specific type of player he's targeting and is making the statement that he isn't afraid of any school and is willing to compete with them for the guys he wants. Its refreshing.

I think DD just got lazy, or didn't care in his last few years at NT, plus his running battle with RV and the Asst. Coaches salaries saga. BTW, let me say that I think we should pay our Asst. Coaches more money because we are probably behind many programs as to compensation for good assistants.

Do any of you know whether DD made many recruiting trips or in home visits to "seal the deal" during his last 3-4 years at NT? Or, did he deligate and leave the decisions to his assistants, like the now infamous Ramon Flanagan? <_< I can remember DD actually coming to SE Texas with Chuck Mills on recruiting visits during his early tenure at NT. Haven't seen an Assistant, much less DD, down here since Freddie Kitchens. I know Todd Dodge has already changed that thinking.

If you put the 2002 team that got Patrick Cobbs a national rushing title, or the 03 team that got J.T. the same, they would have had success last year, but I doubt either churns out 2000 yards.

Neither did churn out 2000 yards when they won the rushing titles. Jamario set the single season record with just over 1,800.

Of course with 2002's defense we wouldn't have needed to lead the nation in rushing to win the last few years. That defense with a minimal offense would have taken us to at least 6 or 7 wins.

DD had one inexplicible great class 2001 with Kennedy, Spencer, Gardner, Buckles, etc. and parlayed it into 4 conference championships. I think he/staff did a good job of evaluating talent and even though he seldom got any players with offers from anyone other than Belt schools, he was at least conference competitive until his last few years. Finally, IMO DD's "woe is me" persona plus his constant put downs of the University and situation could not be overcome. NT was not only losing recruits to Belt schools but to 1aa programs. Who could be coaxed to join a program that the head coach deemed the most difficult in the nation? DD's attitude and frankly probably the laziest recruiting strategy in the nation spelled doom for DD. Even the extremely fugal NT administration could see that a $500k plus buyout of DD's contract was a bargain compared to the complete ruin of the football program.

TD is doing a great job thus far of recruiting but I doubt if anyone at NT is going to compete with good BCS teams for players. TCU is currently a top notch non-power conference school in the best non BCS conference and they don't come close to recruiting against a UT, OU, or A&M and probably even a Baylor. It will take NT years and a couple of conference upgrades before they can challege a Big 12 school in recruiting.

Edited by GrandGreen

DD had one inexplicible great class 2001 with Kennedy, Spencer, Gardner, Buckles, etc. and parlayed it into 4 conference championships. I think he/staff did a good job of evaluating talent and even though he seldom got any players with offers from anyone other than Belt schools, he was at least conference competitive until his last few years. Finally, IMO DD's "woe is me" persona plus his constant put downs of the University and situation could not be overcome. NT was not only losing recruits to Belt schools but to 1aa programs. Who could be coaxed to join a program that the head coach deemed the most difficult in the nation? DD's attitude and frankly probably the laziest recruiting strategy in the nation spelled doom for DD. Even the extremely fugal NT administration could see that a $500k plus buyout of DD's contract was a bargain compared to the complete ruin of the football program.

You probably hit the nail on the head. DD could spot hidden talent fairly well and did have one very good recruiting year, which paid off big time. But, when opposition coaches can use your own quotes to convince a prospect not to go to your school then you are doomed. The wonder is that DD did not see what the effect of his "down on me approach" had on his program. Also, DD let some of his assistants underperform tremendously and they helped to bring him down. Still, I appreciate what he did when he had a little more of his swagger and hope that maybe he can learn from experience.

Darrell was not a bad recruiter. He was a good evaluator of talent, and he made recruits feel wanted. The major problem was the turnover in coaches. Some of them were not good recruiters and did not recruit their assigned areas worth a hoot. I don't know any inside info on this subject, this is what I believe from what I've been told.

what about his feeling entitled to be hired by a more powerful school. i thought this contributed to his laziness in recruiting. what i'm getting at is that since he thought the big boys would just be dying for dick-ball, why spend any effort on a shool he thought he would soon be leaving any way. of course, that tactic bit him in the arse when he wasn't hired away and the losses came... I'm not saying this is the reason, but certainly a contributing factor.

the big boys would just be dying for dick-ball

Dick-ball? :blink:

I've got an idea....let's quit talking about the past and DD. It was...it's over! Whether he was a good recruiter, a bad recruiter, a lousy play caller, a boring coach, a lazy coach, etc. is all in the past now...THANK GOODNESS! Let's look forward with TD, get behind the team, buy tickets and go to the games. And, be part of the Exes...an active part...It's a new day and new era at UNT and I, for one, am 100% happy about that. I just want to look forward...the recent past with DD is just too BAD to even remember. I say...FORWARD!

I've got an idea....let's quit talking about the past and DD. It was...it's over! Whether he was a good recruiter, a bad recruiter, a lousy play caller, a boring coach, a lazy coach, etc. is all in the past now...THANK GOODNESS! Let's look forward with TD, get behind the team, buy tickets and go to the games. And, be part of the Exes...an active part...It's a new day and new era at UNT and I, for one, am 100% happy about that. I just want to look forward...the recent past with DD is just too BAD to even remember. I say...FORWARD!

Ellipses... are ...fu...n! Scre....w ....you, peri...od....s ...and ....commas!

Who fits in better to the swingin' Utah scene, Dickey or JayDub?

If Darrell Dickey had had any 2 of his 4 bowl teams ranked in a Top 25 poll (no matter which part of the season), I would have been somewhere toward the front of the parade with many of you saying: We have to do what we can to keep this goat ropin' son of a gun on the UNT payroll. Well............... ;)

4 bowl appearances ='ed..........No Top 25 Rankings ='ed...............Bye bye...

All of DD's condescending post-game radio comments his last few years, then calling many of the Mean Green Nation at a practice (knowing fully they were there) a bunch of Mutha'F'ers and then..............topped off with the black jerseys caper completely caused DD to run out of every bit of capital he had compiled with 4 bowl appearances; albeit bowl appearances with non-ranked teams.

PS: Actually, shouldn't we just all wish him good health and a happy fresh new beginning as USU because after all, don't we all need such things to happen in our own lives from time to time? :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen