Tic Price Joins Unt Staff

Harry

214264.jpeg

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

May 14, 2007

Tic Price joins UNT staff

North Texas men's basketball coach Johnny Jones has added an old friend to his staff in Tic Price.

Price served as the head coach at McNeese State, Memphis and New Orleans and also worked as an assistant at Auburn, Old Dominion, Virginia Tech Chattanooga and Roanoke College.

Price is a former Southland Conference and Louisiana Association of Black Coaches Coach of the Year.

For more on Price, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle or see or web site at www.dentonrc.com.

Posted by Brett Vito email.gif at 2:45 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0

Tic Price has lifted the McNeese State basketball program back into national and conference prominence in the four years he has been head coach of the Cowboys.

His 2001-02 team won the league title and played in the NCAA tournament, the 2002-03 squad posted a first round upset victory in the Southland Conference tourney and carried eventual champion Sam Houston State down to the wire in a semifinal matchup and the 2004-05 team won six games in a row down the stretch to make the post season tournament.

To characterize the man, one would have to use words and phrases like - driven, disciplinarian, passionate, tireless worker, focused, strong craving for family and basketball.

His 2001-02 Cowboy team posted a 21-9 overall record and won the SLC regular season and tournament championships, a first in school history. His first two teams won a record 27 straight home games at Burton Coliseum.

Price just completed his 24th year of coaching and has also served head stints at the University of New Orleans and at the University of Memphis, his teams there posting a combined 93-54 record, winning three league titles and playing in both the NCAA and NIT tournaments.

His head coaching record is 153-108 for a .586 winning percentage and he is 60-54 after four years at McNeese.

In nine seasons as a head coach he has won 10 different coaching honors including Southland Conference coach of the year, Louisiana collegiate coach of the year and NABC District 8 coach of the year.

During the 2000-01 season he was the associate head coach at McNeese for a team that went 22-9, produced the best turnaround in the NCAA and a nation leading 17 game conference winning streak, won the SLC title and played in the NIT.

Price is a native of Danville, VA and played collegiately at Virginia Commonwealth and Virginia Tech. He is married to the former Jamie Lynn Simms of Baton Rouge and the couple has two children, a son Ryan who is a member of the McNeese basketball team and a daughter, Chanel.

Tic and Jamie form the only husband-wife basketball television show anchors in the nation. Price is the past president of the LABC (La. Association of Basketball Coaches).

Apparently McNeese State fired Price. Don't have much info but here's a couple of post from a thread on the Cowboy board.

++++

I heard on the radio today that the men's basketball program, along with either the mens or women's track program (I can't remember which), are on probation for recruiting violations. The basketball violation has something to do with an assistant coach dealing with a Junior College transfer. The report stated that TIC PRICE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. It also stated that the team would be eligible for post-season play despite the probation. Does anyone know what probation entails?

The track violation involved a coach asking a student to make false documents.

Back to the fact that Tic Price had nothing to do with it, I ask everyone, why was he fired? As a student, and as a fan, I believe I have a right to know. I had pretty much concluded that it was due to violations, but here we find he is innocent. WHY WAS HE FIRED?

I respect and comment Dave Simmons on his coaching job, and I see true potential in the team's future, but why is it that we had to go through this "rebuilding year" in the first place? Perhaps our administration owes Mr. Price and apology for jumping to conclusions, while at the same time ignoring more pressing issues lingering right under their noses, the AD situation for instance?

Tim aka Wet Burrito King

Wrom: XISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSF

To: TOOBAHCOWBOY (2 of 4)

7124.2 in reply to 7124.1

It's a two-year probation. All of the penalties other than the probation itself have already been served through McNeese's self-imposed measures (the NCAA accepted McNeese's actions, basically).

Tic was not directly implicated on any of the major violations the report listed; however, there was a litany of secondary violations he was directly linked to and that may answer your question on why he was fired. Plus, if major violations happen under your watch, even if you are not directly involved, then that can influence the decision as well.

Ok I am rather confused by this. Why would he go from a head coaching job to an assistant coaches job. Also, did we finally get high enough assistants pay to hire someone elses coach? At Memphis wasn't JJ the interim coach after Price left and on his staff?

Thought the same thing, but didn't want to sound negative about the hire... Not that your post does, just didn't want to be the first to go there...

Thought the same thing, but didn't want to sound negative about the hire... Not that your post does, just didn't want to be the first to go there...

Absolutely, I didn't want to go there either. However, he was definitely the coach that JJ took over for in his 1 year stint as Memphis' head coach. This surprised me at first, but I do believe that a guy who does not have a history of wrong doing deserves a second chance (unlike a Bobby Huggins or Jerry Tarkanenian).

On the positive side, he brings a wealth of experience and is a heck of a coach. If he can recruit (and hopefully stays here for longer than a year) this has the makings of being something really special.

Regardless, Price does bring a very impressive resume.

Almost too good.

Former head coach and assistant at some big name schools. I hope he can make an impact on this team to keep NT at the top of the SBC basketball.

Not to start a controversy, but Price could be head coach here too. But the last thing NT needs is a power struggle.

Hey guys...basically, the story is that when Tic Price took the Memphis job in the '97-'98 season, he came from UNO and brought Johnny Jones along with him as an assistant. Tic coached here for two years, got caught having an affair with a student, and resigned literally days before the '99-'00 season began. Johnny was then forced into the interim role, where he did quite well, considering the circumstances.

So basically, Johnny was once Tic's assistant, and the tables have now been turned.

Once again, North Texas passes up an opportunity to hire one of its own. When will we get someone in the athletic department who actually went to school here and bleeds green? Why not Deon Hunter or Wendell Williams or Tony Worrell....they would be a good fit.

Once again, North Texas passes up an opportunity to hire one of its own. When will we get someone in the athletic department who actually went to school here and bleeds green? Why not Deon Hunter or Wendell Williams or Tony Worrell....they would be a good fit.

Do any of them have HC experience at a high Mid-Major or a good minor major? What about a good working relationship with JJ?

I like the hire as it brings a great deal of experience to the staff.

man, Tic Price...there's a name most Memphis fans try and forget...while he's a decent coach, i would keep the girls dorm on lock-down during the baskeball season...maybe Johnny Jones can keep him in check.

you guys seem to be pullin' in all the old Memphis coaches...

Johnny Jones...Memphis Interim Head Coach.

Tic Price...Memphis Head Coach from 97-99.

i hear Dana Kirk needs a job!

Go Tigers!!!

Drew

The practice of hiring only homers has been over as long as the practice of making freshmen wear beanies. Very few (if any) D1 schools expect to hire an alum or an insider and keep him around for years. They're all traveling professionals now -- basically freelance contractors.

man, Tic Price...there's a name most Memphis fans try and forget...while he's a decent coach, i would keep the girls dorm on lock-down during the baskeball season...maybe Johnny Jones can keep him in check.

you guys seem to be pullin' in all the old Memphis coaches...

Johnny Jones...Memphis Interim Head Coach.

Tic Price...Memphis Head Coach from 97-99.

i hear Dana Kirk needs a job!

Go Tigers!!!

Drew

Anytime you folks want to send Calipari down our way we'll take him too!

Anytime you folks want to send Calipari down our way we'll take him too!

LOL, i bet...

we found out today that Holy Cross has backed out of our schedule for next year...so we need a "buy" home game...we were going to pay Holy Cross 70,000 to come to FedExForum to play next year...you think JJ/Tic would be interested in a little re-match?

just something to think about.

Go Tigers!!!

Drew

LOL, i bet...

we found out today that Holy Cross has backed out of our schedule for next year...so we need a "buy" home game...we were going to pay Holy Cross 70,000 to come to FedExForum to play next year...you think JJ/Tic would be interested in a little re-match?

just something to think about.

Go Tigers!!!

Drew

JJ will only play you if you're non-D1?

What level is Memphis again? I hear Hendrix will have a kick a$$ team next year. :P

Edited by untbowler

Folks, this is Johnny helping an "old friend" who once hired him. It's done all the time in college athletics...take a look around. Tic has been out of coaching long enough that he probably hoped folks would have forgotten his somewhat "checkerd" past...I guess he was wrong on that one...I agree with Drex that Deon Hunter might have been a better choice. Deon played with a lot of heart and determination and has some nice ties to the community. Might have helped put some fans in the "emptiness" of the UNT basketball arena. Just thinking....an assistant like Tic will be here only long enough to get a "higher profile gig" somewhere else. You think he'll take Johnny with him this time???? You scratch my back...I'll scratch yours...just look around all college sports...all levels...and you will see this type of activity. O.K., so let's give Tic a chance here...he can coach...so, stay away from the female dorms, remember all those NCAA rules, and help UNT keep winning and adding ticket buyers and I'm just fine with Tic. Ball's in your court Tic. Do something with it!

Just thinking....an assistant like Tic will be here only long enough to get a "higher profile gig" somewhere else. You think he'll take Johnny with him this time???? You scratch my back...I'll scratch yours...just look around all college sports...all levels...and you will see this type of activity.

While I imagine Johnny will move on someday if he has continued success, I feel sure it would not be as an assistant. Now if things drop back off to where they have been . . .