Tic Price Joins Unt Staff

Harry

''Tic Price will no longer be with the university effective Monday, July 31. Athletic director Sonny Watkins said that McNeese thanks Coach Price for his contributions to the men's basketball program and the community and wishes him well,'' the school said in a brief statement.

Sports information director Louis Bonette said that would be the only comment from the school.

Price went 74-68 in his five seasons in Lake Charles. His best season was his first one, a 21-9 Southland Conference championship season in 2001 that produced the Cowboys' second appearance in the NCAA tournament.

The Cowboys never finished higher than fifth place in his remaining four years.

''I am very disappointed to learn that McNeese State University has chosen not to renew my appointment as head men's basketball coach,'' Price said in a written statement. ''My family and I want to thank our friends and supporters in the community. We are very grateful for the support you have given us. I would also like to thank the players, coaches and staff for all of their hard work and dedication to the program,''

The 50-year-old Price also coached New Orleans from 1994-97 and at Memphis from 1997-99.

Price resigned from Memphis a week before the 2000 season after an affair with a student. He returned to coaching as an assistant at McNeese under Ron Everhart in 2000-01. He became head coach the next season after Everhart left for Northeastern University.