New Design For Sink Navy T-shirt

NT1978

Thanks for everyone's comments. The new design is below.

The North Texas Exes, Denton Chapter, have created a special shirt for the North Texas vs. Navy game and the shirts are for sale to the public. Beginning April 16th the shirts will be available for purchase at the Exes Center for $12 each. Shirts must be purchased in person. There will be no mail order for this project. Proceeds from the shirt sales go to student scholarships. Questions? Call the Exes at 1-800-UNT-1153 or locally at 940-565-2834.

SinkNavy-noship.JPG

One suggestion: The NORTH TEXAS you've used is from the academic wordmarks. Per UNT's branding website, the academic wordmarks are preferred for academic and administrative use. For sports, UNT prefers the NORTH TEXAS spirit mark, which is a slightly different font and style. You'll find the spirit marks on the UNT football helmets, t-shirts, hats, etc.

Here is a link to the UNT branding website, where vector images of spirit marks, spirit images, and combinations of the marks and images are available for download:

UNT Branding

One suggestion: The NORTH TEXAS you've used is from the academic wordmarks. Per UNT's branding website, the academic wordmarks are preferred for academic and administrative use. For sports, UNT prefers the NORTH TEXAS spirit mark, which is a slightly different font and style. You'll find the spirit marks on the UNT football helmets, t-shirts, hats, etc.

Here is a link to the UNT branding website, where vector images of spirit marks, spirit images, and combinations of the marks and images are available for download:

UNT Branding

Using the word marks looks better then the spirit marks given the size of the text. Damn the R and O for mating in the spirit marks.

To be quite frank, I don't understand why we have two different sets.

Edit: I can't spell.

Edited by UNTFan23

I, too, like the new design. But, then, I liked the first one too. Call me "graphics challenged"...anyway the new design looks good. I'll buy it and a few extras for friends. Let's hand it to the Denton Exes for doing something fun and positive and responding to a few people's "concerns" with the original design. Let's buy the T-shirts and let's wear them to the Navy game!!!! The Denton Exes need our support for getting this project rolling....BUY "em now...call the Exes and order yours today....my order is already in! See you at the game...love the idea about selling them at the spring game. GO MEAN GREEN!

Bravo!

And thanks for the timely response for what could have been a very sensitive issue, especially those from the Naval Academy who will visit Fouts this Fall (along with their parents/relatives/friend) and...............Roger Staubauch!

I think many would agree that the Cadets of Army can say or use "Sink Navy" in any form, fashion, yell or graphic arts on any T-shirt and get away with it; just not sure a civilian-oriented campus like UNT could ever do the same, though; but as always, just my .02 on this issue.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Previously stated: "this might offend the astronomy club though because it shows stars sinking, and if stars were sinking on earth that would be a good indicator the world is coming to an end, therefore it is not appropriate."

I liked the first shirt and I don't think it was disrespectful, but the second shirt looks good too. It's not like we are saying "Navy sucks! (in bold letters)Btw...News Flash - our ships arent getting sunk in Iraq.

I'm from a military family and they thought the first shirt was better and not offensive. It is a football game/rivalry....just my two cents.

To be quite frank, I don't understand why we have to different sets.

I don't understand it, either. I don't know if other universities do the same thing - have one set of marks for its academic departments and another set for sports and other non-academic activities. But it especially doesn't make sense when you're trying to establish a new branding identity.

I would like to see an effort to get a shirt printed for every home game. I get a Lobo blast every week during football season with the UNM shirt for the upcoming home game. For example they have the New Mexico showdown (NMSU), the Border Battle with UTEP - heck we could name some of our battles to give the event an identity. Those programs we are still building our relationship with would get the "Sink Navy" treatment. Further, you buy all shirts at the front of the season and get one for free: Metroplex Showdown (SMU), Border War (OU), Cook the Ragin Cajuns" "Topple Troy," "Blast the Blue Raiders," Ambush Arkie State". Mean Green diehards would have their gear ironed, hung up in logical order and ready to go before the end of August!

GMG

I would like to see an effort to get a shirt printed for every home game. I get a Lobo blast every week during football season with the UNM shirt for the upcoming home game. For example they have the New Mexico showdown (NMSU), the Border Battle with UTEP - heck we could name some of our battles to give the event an identity. Those programs we are still building our relationship with would get the "Sink Navy" treatment. Further, you buy all shirts at the front of the season and get one for free: Metroplex Showdown (SMU), Border War (OU), Cook the Ragin Cajuns" "Topple Troy," "Blast the Blue Raiders," Ambush Arkie State". Mean Green diehards would have their gear ironed, hung up in logical order and ready to go before the end of August!

GMG

If you gave shirts like these away to students (with ID) as they walk through the gates...you might see a boost in attendance.

This is a great idea. I'll put my order in for two of each right know. Where do I send the orders?

If you gave shirts like these away to students (with ID) as they walk through the gates...you might see a boost in attendance.

Even a better idea, I'll put you down for funding the first 10,000. When can the Athletic Department expect the check?

UNT Branding

Good suggestion...the "academic wordmarks are not quite as nice as the others...

The shirts that UNM sells before every week's game look more like bowl game shirts as opposed to high school spirit ribbons.

I love seeing stadiums decked out in solid color like the bright yellow gold shirts the entire student section wore in Tempe on a couple of Mean Green occasions.

GMG

You do realize that most large, BcS, conference schools do this, don't you? Alienate someone because they "hated the athletics environment at their high school?" I would hope we've grown out of that by college.