New sports Bar/restaurant in Denton

BonfireBrian

I had briefly mentioned this possibility in another thread about a month ago and I was encouraged to write a business plan and see who might be interested. Well, I definately don't have a completed business plan but I am curious to what everyone thinks....

The concept is simple: A sports bar and restaurant to open in Denton. It will be a pretty typical establishment except for one notable exception:

It will be 100% supportive of the University of North Texas. I would like to donate a set percentage of profits every month to the North Texas athletic department, the University as a whole, and a general scholarship fund. I would like to be the official game-watching establishment for all North Texas sporting events.

The main concept is that this would be a great place for any North Texas student, alumnus, fan, or friend of the University to eat and drink because they are basically donating to the University when they visit the establishment.

We would also make every attempt to hire only North Texas alumni and current North Texas students, but I'll have to check on the legality of such hiring practices.

I am putting this here on the message board because I don't have the required financing to get this started. I am wondering how many gmg.com members would be interested in investing in this type of business venture or may know someone that would.

Please post if you may be interested in investing so that I can get an idea of who would be interested or you can email me at b_gilmore@yahoo.com if you prefer.

Also, if you wish not to be a part of the business, but would likely visit the place, please post that as well.

In my opinion, there is no better business to be in then one that supports your alma matter. Go Mean Green!

I had briefly mentioned this possibility in another thread about a month ago and I was encouraged to write a business plan and see who might be interested.  Well, I definately don't have a completed business plan but I am curious to what everyone thinks....

The concept is simple:  A sports bar and restaurant to open in Denton.  It will be a pretty typical establishment except for one notable exception:

It will be 100% supportive of the University of North Texas.  I would like to donate a set percentage of profits every month to the North Texas athletic department, the University as a whole, and a general scholarship fund.  I would like to be the official game-watching establishment for all North Texas sporting events. 

The main concept is that this would be a great place for any North Texas student, alumnus, fan, or friend of the University to eat and drink because they are basically donating to the University when they visit the establishment. 

We would also make every attempt to hire only North Texas alumni and current North Texas students, but I'll have to check on the legality of such hiring practices.

I am putting this here on the message board because I don't have the required financing to get this started.  I am wondering how many gmg.com members would be interested in investing in this type of business venture or may know someone that would. 

Please post if you may be interested in investing so that I can get an idea of who would be interested or you can email me at b_gilmore@yahoo.com if you prefer.

Also, if you wish not to be a part of the business, but would likely visit the place, please post that as well.

In my opinion, there is no better business to be in then one that supports your alma matter.  Go Mean Green!

This is a great idea, and I would like to be involved. email me, give me a call at 214-454-7391 and leave a message. Do you have a location yet?

While I'm not sure this is the best location for a North Texas Sports Bar, there's a spot up the street from me that is ready to go. The guy started from scratch and did everything right. Everything that is except get a final inspection. He opened anyway, and the City of Denton slammed him shut. He got mad (as you would expect) and didn't re-open.

Anyway, the place needs some dusting and the electricity turned on and bang...Bob's your uncle (?).

Any interest, call me. (940) 387-9314. Joe aka GreenJoe

Edited by greenjoe

Now what if...

we bought shares in this establishment and slap Stebo's name on the liquor license.  smile.gif  Then we could be paid out like stocks.  And each share would be responsible for x amount of money if the place needs something.

Yes, that's basically what I am looking for. I don't think it's fair to ask people to invest and not give them anything in return. I would definately want to pay out profits to all of the investors, making the Mean Green nation richer all of the time!!!

I have not chosen a particular location. I am still looking at places in Denton. If you have any suggestions, feel free to put in your input.

Thanks for the input so far... keep it coming.

I've owned part of a restaurant in the Woodlands before...go talk to some local owners on how much it costs to run. Our burger/pizza place was $400k to start, and we didn't have enough start up cash to go further than 2yrs. Not enough in the budget to advertise either. I was in volved in 2 Quiznos as well...about $250-$350k to start up..and that is a sandwich shop. Not trying to piss on your parade, because I would love to see something like that when I come up for games. It may not cost that much in Denton, but places like that cost alot in Houston. When you are talking construction, equipment, taxes, licenses, & a million other things, it gets really expensive. If you go to a bank you'll have to put up a sh*t load of collateral and personally guarantee the loan...I've seen it bankrupt people.

I hope you can get some $ together and can maybe even buy an established place that went tits up...might be able to save a ton of dough. Good luck.

Ed

This is somewhat already in the works....

my brother and I are both Ntex grads

He and a silent investor are opening a sports bar on Unicorn lake by the AMC

It will be devoted to North Texas first and other texas schools second

THey are working to get the coaches show etc there

I just saw the blueprints and it is phenomenal.

There will be a room full of about 30-40 leather recliners with 8 flat plasma HD screens that form one large screen

The room is sound proof as well.

IT will had a wrap around glass bar with tvs looking both ways in to the bar and out to the patio on the lake.

Just wanted to let you know that its up coming and although no a co-op as discussed NT will be at the forfront of what the bar is about

This is somewhat already in the works....

my brother and I are both Ntex grads

He and a silent investor are opening a sports bar on Unicorn lake by the AMC

It will be devoted to North Texas first and other texas schools second

THey are working to get the coaches show etc there

I just saw the blueprints and it is phenomenal.

There will be a room full of about 30-40 leather recliners with 8 flat plasma HD screens that form one large screen

The room is sound proof as well.

IT will had a wrap around glass bar with tvs looking both ways in to the bar and out to the patio on the lake.

Just wanted to let you know that its up coming and although no a co-op as discussed NT will be at the forfront of what the bar is about

Interesting concept. I had heard about a place similar to this. From what I heard, they decided it was going to be too expensive to open in the Unicorn Lake area and too close to residential housing, so they are opening another restaurant there instead. This is likely another concept. Maybe I could get in touch with you and we can discuss some different ideas?

My mom is a director of small business development in this area. She has a lot of experience in helpeing small businesses get off the ground. She has helped start Little Guy Movers, Hubcaps Sports Bar in Gainesville as well as quite a few other places.

She can really get you started and on the right track both financially and strategically.

PM me if you would like her contact information.

Edited by GreenN'walinsVet

I think the location should be close to the stadium, w/in easy walking distance. This would make the place hugely successful on game days, football and basketball. It could be like the BUS in Houston across from Minute Maid Park or like the 'Boro across from MTSU's field. I know all of that land is limited, but that gas station is there, and the old truck restaurant (building) still there?

I think the location should be close to the stadium, w/in easy walking distance. This would make the place hugely successful on game days, football and basketball. It could be like the BUS in Houston across from Minute Maid Park or like the 'Boro across from MTSU's field. I know all of that land is limited, but that gas station is there, and the old truck restaurant (building) still there?

Wonderful idea, guys. Hope it works out. We need something similar in Murfreesboro. The 'Boro across from MT's field would be a perfect location for a sportsbar supporting MT, but right now it's kind of "ratty". Not even sure if they even support our athletics program.

If you mean the Texas Pick-up, then no it's not. That land was purchased and turned into apartments.....or possibly dorms.

I've always thought that a North Texas themed bar and grill would be a great idea. The Texas Pick-up was decorated with a lot of North Texas stuff, but it wasn't totally North Texas.

Since you can't sell beer and/or wine to the majority of students, it would need to be very near, but not inside the campus, in a pretty high traffic area.

Lots of neon.

Maybe it could be a microbrewery as well.

I can't invest, but I would definitely go there to watch games and be around UNT stuff.

I play darts too. PLEASE have an area with dart boards and stuff. I can help set it up. There is a dart league in Denton and if you keep a good area, change out the boards when they get beat up (VERY BIG PET PIEVE WITH A DART BAR), I am sure you can get a good crowd every Monday night when they have league.

If you like (and my work schedule cooperates) I can help set up and run dart tournaments on weekends. Good advertising and money payouts draws a good crowd.

Best wishes for your new venture. Anyone who has ever owned their own business can tell you how rewarding it can be.

"We would also make every attempt to hire only North Texas alumni and current North Texas students, but I'll have to check on the legality of such hiring practices."

You would have to claim what is called Bona Fide Occupational Qualification (BFOQ). In other words, you will have to prove that only NT people are qualified to work in your restaurant, which would be exteremly difficult. Even Hooters could not prove BFOQ with their previous policy of only hiring women with two major assets...now they have "Hooter's People in addition to the Hooter's Girls.

I recall when the McDonald's near Ave C opened, it was painted lime green and decorated with pictures of NT sports. Great!

Good luck!

Best wishes for your new venture. Anyone who has ever owned their own business can tell you how rewarding it can be.

"We would also make every attempt to hire only North Texas alumni and current North Texas students, but I'll have to check on the legality of such hiring practices."

You would have to claim what is called Bona Fide Occupational Qualification (BFOQ). In other words, you will have to prove that only NT people are qualified to work in your restaurant, which would be exteremly difficult. Even Hooters could not prove BFOQ with their previous policy of only hiring women with two major assets...now they have "Hooter's People in addition to the Hooter's Girls.

I recall when the McDonald's near Ave C opened, it was painted lime green and decorated with pictures of NT sports. Great!

Good luck!

If it is UNT themed bar is probably good enough. I honestly wouldn't care if my waiter is a TCU fan. As long as he's dressed in the required NT green. laugh.gif And as long as he says the required <in monotone voice> "Welcome to greenies bar. I love the mean green. Can I show you today's specials?".

If it is UNT themed bar is probably good enough.  I honestly wouldn't care if my waiter is a TCU fan.  As long as he's dressed in the required NT green.  laugh.gif And as long as he says the required <in monotone voice> "Welcome to greenies bar.  I love the mean green.  Can I show you today's specials?".

Let's fix one thing here. Waitress....WaitRESS....hot at that.

And good service.

I throw darts at a bar in Dallas. The waitresses are indeed HOT there. But to get a beer or get a waitress to take your order or deliver your order is impossible and unacceptable. I am about to look for another bar next season.

Bad service is a death blow to a bar.

Bad dartboards are a death blow to a dart bar.