The rich get richer....part II

SilverEagle

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...rs/15143297.htm

"Young, the No. 3 overall pick out of Texas, agreed to a five-year deal, with an option for a sixth, with $25.7 million guaranteed and an overall value that could reach $58 million with option and roster bonuses and salary."

geezzz

Thanks for the link. Don't get the title though "Rich get richer". I am probably just missing something, but didn't Vince Young go from poor to rich?

New title ...."the poor get richer";-)

Thanks for the link. Don't get the title though "Rich get richer". I am probably just missing something, but didn't Vince Young go from poor to rich?

New title ...."the poor get richer";-)

He quit being "poor" the minute he stepped on the UT campus....and put on his football uniform. Not only is he now "richer", but so is UT from the great publicity, about their great athlete.

He quit being "poor" the minute he stepped on the UT campus....and put on his football uniform.  Not only is he now "richer", but so is UT from the great publicity, about their great athlete.

Vince Young was not Rich in college. he was popular, but he wasnt getting paid. he has also earned every cent that they are going to pay him.

He quit being "poor" the minute he stepped on the UT campus....and put on his football uniform.  Not only is he now "richer", but so is UT from the great publicity, about their great athlete.

no offense, but get over it.

VY grew up in a crappy part of Houston, had a dad who was never there, and used his God-given talent to become one of the greatest college QB's of all time instead of choosing to waste his life away in drugs, gangs, etc.

I dont understand the negative tones in your comments. Seems like a great story of success to me, whether he went to Satan U or not.

Edited by Eagle1855

VY grew up in a crappy part of Houston*, had a dad who was never there, and used his God-given talent to become one of the greatest college QB's of all time instead of choosing to waste his life away in drugs, gangs, etc.

I dont understand the negative tones in your comments**. Seems like a great story of success to me, whether he went to Satan U or not.

* There's a non-crappy part of Houston?

** This is more about the great publicity that UT is getting (as if they need anymore) as a result of this big contract being signed, than a slam at Vince Young.

Again, Texas doesn't really need this great "pub". But now that VY has signed this huge contract the implication in all of their recruiting from now on can be "see how successful our athletes become? See what coming to Texas can do for you?

And since you brought it up. There are countless numbers of young men (and older men for that matter) who were in the same situation (or worse) as VY, who didn't have a great gift that over-paid them huge amounts of money, and they still turned out to be very productive people. And they did it without any expectation that they would get any publicity and/or their pictures in the paper.

Now, it's you who can get over your fawning over VY. He really doesn't need your support.

* There's a non-crappy part of Houston?

I assume this is a joke, but in the event that it is not, yes, there are non crappy parts of Houston. Congrats on your blanketed insult of 2 million (5 mill+ in the metropolitan area). Typical Dallas attitude. I know its hard to believe, but yes, someone from outside the metroplex who didnt make the trek all the way from Lewisville, America decided to attend North Texas- by choice.

** This is more about the great publicity that UT is getting (as if they need anymore) as a result of this big contract being signed,  than a slam at Vince Young.

Its about Vince, not UT. Its a great athlete that happened to attend school at UT. I know its hard to believe he wouldnt choose NT, but he didnt. I didnt say a word about UT.

Again, Texas doesn't really need this great "pub". But now that VY has signed this huge contract the implication in all of their recruiting from now on can be "see how successful our athletes become? See what coming to Texas can do for you?

SO WHAT? isnt that what we want for all of our athletes at NT? Seriously, am I mistaken, or do we want all of our athletes to enjoy the highest level of success they can achieve?

And since you brought it up. There are countless numbers of young men (and older men for that matter) who were in the same situation (or worse) as VY, who didn't have a great gift  that over-paid them huge amounts of money, and they still turned out to be very productive people. And they did it without any expectation that they would get any publicity and/or their pictures in the paper.

You are absolutely right, as much as it pains me to agree with anything in this diatribe of yours. There are countless people who lead noble lives who never get a fat paycheck. But what are you saying? If Patrick Cobbs enjoyed that level of success (you know, the kid from OK that nobody gave a chance, blah blah blah) you'd get on here and be the voice for those that have no voice, the champion who speaks for the ones that live their lives without recognition? How noble of you. Spare me. This is nothing more than the typical "I hate UT" p*nis envy we see on this board all the time- and it makes us look so small-time.

Now, it's you who can get over your fawning over VY.  He really doesn't need your support.

It isnt fawning. Its admiration for someone who is the best at what they do. Much like Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, blah blah blah. I dont care if UT wins another game for the rest of eternity, but I respect the hell out of the someone who can seemingly carry a team on his back with a refuse to lose mentality. Thats something special.

I have respect for a kid that came from the same "trash dump" as I, you know, "the hometown kid".

Take off your "I hate anyone who is in a better position than I" glasses and try to look at it objectively.

VY is a story of success.

Edited by Eagle1855

I assume this is a joke, but in the event that it is not, yes, there are non crappy parts of Houston. Congrats on your blanketed insult of 2 million (5 mill+ in the metropolitan area). Typical Dallas attitude. I know its hard to believe, but yes, someone from outside the metroplex who didnt make the trek all the way from Lewisville, America decided to attend North Texas- by choice.

Its about Vince, not UT. Its a great athlete that happened to attend school at UT. I know its hard to believe he wouldnt choose NT, but he didnt. I didnt say a word about UT.

SO WHAT? isnt that what we want for all of our athletes at NT? Seriously, am I mistaken, or do we want all of our athletes to enjoy the highest level of success they can achieve?

You are absolutely right, as much as it pains me to agree with anything in this diatribe of yours. There are countless people who lead noble lives who never get a fat paycheck. But what are you saying? If Patrick Cobbs enjoyed that level of success (you know, the kid from OK that nobody gave a chance, blah blah blah) you'd get on here and be the voice for those that have no voice, the champion who speaks for the ones that live their lives without recognition? How noble of you. Spare me. This is nothing more than the typical "I hate UT" p*nis envy we see on this board all the time- and it makes us look so small-time.

It isnt fawning. Its admiration for someone who is the best at what they do. Much like Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, blah blah blah. I dont care if UT wins another game for the rest of eternity, but I respect the hell out of the someone who can seemingly carry a team on his back with a refuse to lose mentality. Thats something special.

I have respect for a kid that came from the same "trash dump" as I, you know, "the hometown kid".

Take off your "I hate anyone who is in a better position than I" glasses and try to look at it objectively.

VY is a story of success.

Diatribe? It started out as a general shot/needle at the overly-rich....both VY and UT....mainly UT. I didn't go on and on about it.....you did.

"It isnt fawning. Its admiration for someone who is the best at what they do. Much like Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, blah blah blah."

You mean people who are waaaaaay overpaid for what they do? I do agree with one thing however.....blah blah blah.

Typical Dallas attitude.

Fort Worth. It's in my profile, but I suppose that it's much easier to "assume" than to read.

BTW, are there any non-crappy parts of Dallas?..... cool.gif

Fort Worth. It's in my profile, but I suppose that it's much easier to "assume" than to read.

same difference. haha, actually I know it isnt, but I like to lump all DFW-ites into one, much in the same way everyone assumes all of Houston is a trash heap wink.gif

BTW, are there any non-crappy parts of Dallas?..... cool.gif

spent 6 years in the metroplex, still not sure of that one... laugh.gif

jokes, jokes...

same difference. haha, actually I know it isnt, but I like to lump all DFW-ites into one, much in the same way everyone assumes all of Houston is a trash heap  wink.gif

jokes, jokes...

This Eagle1855 guy doesnt know what he's talking about. I mean, what a rant. This all fun, right? And what the hell is 1855 anyway?

same difference. haha, actually I know it isnt, but I like to lump all DFW-ites into one, much in the same way everyone assumes all of Houston is a trash heap  wink.gif

jokes, jokes...

Please don't lump Fort Worth with Dallas. There are many things that Ft Worth does that Dallas doesn't. For instance:

• FTW actually remains civil during City Council meetings
  • FTW tries to build roads to keep traffic moving, not huge parking lots (see lot 635)
  • While Dallas has all the business, FTW has all the culture
  • FTW doesn't have toll roads ... yet.

VY's jumping to the NFL after saying he would stay cost UT several more mature QB's than the two they'll field. I'm just glad we have a decent punter and apparently a great kicker as that's all that's between us and the 0-92 we've posted in two DD trips to Austin. Many will be glad to know that this will be the last in the UT series for many years as when DeLoss Dodds asked for a three year deal with NT, RV said two for one, with the one being at Fouts!! Since UT will never again play U of H for getting shafted on seats at Robason a few years ago, I'm sure playing at Fouts got a really BIG LAUGH out of the UT A.D. If we continue to refuse to play BIG games at Texas Stadium, we can forget about EVER getting any. If you were defending National Champs or even any top 50 team would you come to FOUTS?? laugh.gif

VY grew up in a crappy part of Houston, had a dad who was never there, and used his God-given talent to become one of the greatest college QB's of all time instead of choosing to waste his life away in drugs, gangs, etc.

I dont understand the negative tones in your comments. Seems like a great story of success to me, whether he went to Satan U or not.

---I like your attitude... Congrats to a kid with a lousy background. I really don't understand those who knock others who are successful as long the success is gained honestly [unlike SMU did]. I see folks here that knock wealthy of SMU, it is not the wealth I dislike, it is all about SMU's general attitude toward others that a lot of their alums, students and administration display.

---As for the Dallas/Ft Worth discussion, I have never lived in either but the nightlife of downtown of Dallas is the worst of any major city I have been in (I have been in many world wide-New York, San Fran. Chicago, San Antonio, London Paris, Chicago, Rome, Munich etc.) Ft Worth may be much smaller but downtown at night between the Coliseum and the Courthouse (basicly Sundance area) beats anything I have witnessed in Dallas.

Ft Worth may be much smaller but downtown at night between the Coliseum and the Courthouse (basicly Sundance area) beats anything I have witnessed in Dallas.

While we are on a rabbit trail...

I too think Ft. Worth is way better than Dallas. Ft. Worth has all the better date spots, better zoo, better art museums, better history museums, botanic gardens, stockyards/rodeos...the list goes on and on...Dallas has basically one thing and that is the music scene and even that is dying off it seems...

oh, and obviously TcU is better than SmU wink.gif

I can hardly wait to see the first time Young gets knocked into yesterday by a pro LB or DB the first time he takes off when the reciever is covered.  Make him earn every penny.

Rick

I read something intresting in the Houston Chronicle today for you FFR. While dropping back in practice yesterday a DT broke thourgh the line and tipped up VY's pass into the air. VY while wearing the red jersey laid out the DT, preventing him from getting the int.

By earning it thourgh his play in college. Just like how people earn a promotion, or earn a pay raise.

I never earned a promotion or a pay raise based off of what I did in college. I earned a degree in college that allowed me to take an entry level position with entry level pay. My work since then, in my professional life, has allowed me to earn promotions and pay raises. The same should be true for professional athletes. They are all over paid coming out of college without ever proving themselves professionally. Remember Tony Mandarich, Rod Hill or Billy Cannon Jr.? All 1st round busts that got paid based off of their success in college that never translated to the pro game.

I never earned a promotion or a pay raise based off of what I did in college.  I earned a degree in college that allowed me to take an entry level position with entry level pay.  My work since then, in my professional life, has allowed me to earn promotions and pay raises.  The same should be true for professional athletes.  They are all over paid coming out of college without ever proving themselves professionally.  Remember Tony Mandarich, Rod Hill or Billy Cannon Jr.?  All 1st round busts that got paid based off of their success in college that never translated to the pro game.

So you're saying that working hard in college allowed you to get a job. Well VY worked his ass off to get a good paying job. A job that is high demand, so therefore demanding high money. Your pay raises were because of your work ethic, same for VY. It's all based on what you have done in college for NFL rookies. Tell me then, what should NFL teams base their rookie evaluations on, since you seem to think college doesn't mean much. High school stats, SAT scores, class rank, organizations they were involved in? How come no one ever made a deal of any of this until VY signed a big deal? This has been going on in the NFL for decades.

I never earned a promotion or a pay raise based off of what I did in college.  I earned a degree in college that allowed me to take an entry level position with entry level pay.  My work since then, in my professional life, has allowed me to earn promotions and pay raises.  The same should be true for professional athletes.  They are all over paid coming out of college without ever proving themselves professionally.  Remember Tony Mandarich, Rod Hill or Billy Cannon Jr.?  All 1st round busts that got paid based off of their success in college that never translated to the pro game.

Genius. you've hit on a great new system. Make everyone play one season in the pros for free - then give them a long-term salary based on that year's performance. hope they don't get injured.

That's how they do it in the real world, right?

I never said he should play for free, but in the era of the salary cap they, the NFL, should institute a cap for rookies. All I am saying is that these players should have to prove themselves prior to making un-Godly amounts of money. My college degree didn't get me a job that pays at the top of the pay scale in my chosen profession and neither should their's in my opinion.