Two things Dickey doesn't control

emmitt01

1)Turnovers- Darrell Dickey didn't throw either interception last night nor did he put the ball on the turf any of the THREE times it was fumbled.

2)Penalties- Anybody remember an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that sustained a crucial Troy drive? (You should because it was an iffy call) Talk all you want about how the coach should teach discipline but Dickey can't be on the team to physically restrain his players. What's he gonna do....bench them? Yeah, cuz we're so blessed in the depth department.

Ok, if you're willing to blindly overlook both of these things then fire away at how you don't like the playcalling.

You think he can't control the unsportsman penalties......the last time we played OU, OU committed 4 of those penalities, and the first thing out of Stoop's mouth in his post game comments was an opology to the OU faithful for his teams lack of discipline and told them that would NOT happen again as long as he was the coach. Since then they have yet to have a game where that has happened.

You want to stop it, bench some guys evertime they do it.....regardless of our talent. If a coach wants to stop it, he can....problem is DD doesn't care.

2)Penalties- Anybody remember an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that sustained a crucial Troy drive?  (You should because it was an iffy call)  Talk all you want about how the coach should teach discipline but Dickey can't be on the team to physically restrain his players.  What's he gonna do....bench them?  Yeah, cuz we're so blessed in the depth department.

Umm well the Unsportsmanlike Penalties come directly from DD and his discipline this has been evident every year, he never sits his guys or anything, but rather like last night just gives them a pat as if it is ok to act like a common thug.

Not sure how you can even consider that an iffy call since the ball had already hit the ground, when he hit the guy.

Edited by untbowler

1)Turnovers- Darrell Dickey didn't throw either interception last night nor did he put the ball on the turf any of the THREE times it was fumbled. 

2)Penalties- Anybody remember an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that sustained a crucial Troy drive?  (You should because it was an iffy call)  Talk all you want about how the coach should teach discipline but Dickey can't be on the team to physically restrain his players.  What's he gonna do....bench them?  Yeah, cuz we're so blessed in the depth department.

Ok, if you're willing to blindly overlook both of these things then fire away at how you don't like the playcalling.

Those are valid points, but the real issue is the lack of offensive production. We have not had more than 3 first downs in the first half of any of our games this season, and we're constantly giving the opposition the ball in the mid-field area.

The system has to be adjusted to find some way to be somewhat productive. The team is not devoid of talent, we just need to find a way to utilize what we have because the current system clearly isn't working.

Risinggreen you are dead wrong about lack of immagination for this game!!!

By your post you did not even see the game!!!

DD and RF did more in this game on mixing up the plays than any other game in the last 4 years. Give them credit.

Risinggreen, if you do not have the $8 to go see the game.....blast me a post because i will give you the money so you can see the game before you make such an uneducated post and insult the intelligence of all the readers and all of us who were at the game or saw it on ESPN2!!

Euless, just because your obviously in love with our OC doesn't mean that he can do no wrong. Blast me if you want, but I still say our offense lacks imagination and changes need to be made. If you think that last nights game showed great imagination, then you either didn't see the game or you lack imagination yourself. I'll give credit where credit is due. You can keep your eight bucks. I'm sure you need it.

I have always believed these were both very much coaching issues.

1) Practice and game preparation -coaches job-to plan for and prepare for your offensive strengths and weaknesses.

2) Instill discipline -coaches job- 1st take a players off the field and chew their a$$es out make them sit by themselves on the bench when they commit unsportsman penalties. 2nd Make sure that your players know through discipline that stupid penalties will not be tolerated.

BINGO.... No questions left. Dickey is doing his part. This team chemistry and skill will need more time. Meager will need more time. This defensive front four (still no Isaac Thomas???) will need more time. And I will need more.....Tylenol and rum.

GMG!!!

Risinggreen you are dead wrong about lack of immagination for this game!!!

By your post you did not even see the game!!!

DD and RF did more in this game on mixing up the plays than any other game in the last 4 years.  Give them credit.

Risinggreen, if you do not have the $8 to go see the game.....blast me a post because i will give you the money so you can see the game before you make such an uneducated post and insult the intelligence of all the readers and all of us who were at the game or saw it on ESPN2!!

EE you are beyond dead wrong. If you consider 1 wr option play imagination then you need some serious help with your sense of reality. I guess you consider running AND passing to be "mixing up the plays".

1) You are dead on.

2) The problem is that DD should sit a player for and personal foul whther it be for one play or ten plays. The coach has to set the tone with a player that things like that will not be tolerated. If a player thinks that the coach won't bench him just because the team is thin then there is nothing to deter that kind of stupid mistake. At the end of the first half, we hold Troy and set ourselves up to get a punt with a minute and a half left. Cotton mixes it up with a player after the whistle and Troy gets a first down and runs the clock out. STUPID. Cotton gets a pat on the butt and remains in the game. Covington gets a personal foul and sustains a Troy dive. STUPID. Paton the butt and an atttaboy.

If you're talking about that penalty before the first half where Cotton (#24) pulled his helmet off after they made a big stop...I don't call that an "iffy call". I call it a pure bone headed....no!....make that a "dumba** play" on Cotton's part. Initially I thought it was Branch, but I was told it was Cotton. We could have gotten the ball back with a little over a minute before the half, but instead we had to battle to keep them out of the endzone and then luck out when they missed the field goal.

To me, that is a coaching issue. You give away 15yrds AND THE BALL because you're not smart enough to keep your hat on? mad.gif It's not a real hard rule to remember. blink.gif And it's the coaches job to make sure that they know the rules.........especially the real easy ones like KEEP YOUR DAMN HAT ON WHILE YOU'RE OUT ON THE FIELD. mad.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

EE you are beyond dead wrong. If you consider 1 wr option play imagination then you need some serious help with your sense of reality. I guess you consider running AND passing to be "mixing up the plays".

Please do not confuse imaginative playcalling with gadget plays. Those plays are extremely risky and even with the most talented of playcallers, what you call "imaginative playcalling" is a once or twice a game type of thing.

31 rushes, and 27 passes is much more imaginative that the 40 rushes/10 passes a game we saw but a few years ago.

I have some bad news for the DD apologist on here. It's over. The tide is turning fella's and I love it. People are expecting more out of this program than a second rate head coach and a high school offensive coordinator at best. It's good though. You can sense it with the fans. Everytime we criticize DD, you guys try to mask it that we are preaching doom and gloom, well we're not. We are saying that we expect better and Darrel is not it and has not been it for a while. Nobody is giving up on North Texas. We have just raised our expectations. So before you try to defend DD for everything he does, just realize that there has been a paradigm shift at the way North Texas fans look at football. Losing is not acceptable anymore, NO MATTER WHICH TU WE ARE PLAYING

Please do not confuse imaginative playcalling with gadget plays.  Those plays are extremely risky and even with the most talented of playcallers, what you call "imaginative playcalling" is a once or twice a game type of thing.

31 rushes, and 27 passes is much more imaginative that the 40 rushes/10 passes a game we saw but a few years ago.

I am not the one calling it imagination. So talk to EulessEagle about that one.

Just because you balance the running to passing ratio does not mean you are being imaginative. I'd just like to see more than the quick out, wr inside screen, and go pattern.

I am not the one calling it imagination. So talk to EulessEagle about that one.

Just because you balance the running to passing ratio does not mean you are being imaginative. I'd just like to see more than the quick out, wr inside screen, and go pattern.

More as in... what? Triple option WR end around flea flickers?

I would say that balancing out running to passing actually DOES constitute a step forward imagination wise. It might not be a quantum leap forward, but it is progress.

No, I looked closely at the tape that I made. His hands were on either side of his helmet when it flew off.

I remember it clearly as it was right in front of where I sat. He threw his helmet off after he was slightly shoved by a Troy player and then proceeded to stumble back 10 yards as though he lost his balance and his helmet. Sorry, can't stick up for our team on that one, it was a nice acting job that didn't fool the officials.