Rubin didn’t leave UNT for NIL money

On 4/21/2024 at 10:33 AM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

He was not the same player his freshman year.  

I think Rubin is the standard for a developing player.  His Frosh year, he was a source to eat minutes for the starters.  Good on defense. He was not part of the offense.  Soph year became part of the rotation, even handled the ball some. Jr year became starter, handled the ball a good bit, rebounded…..Sr year, he became the man.  Added scoring to his game.   Complete development of a player that got him a shot at Michigan.  

we need a Rubin in every recruiting class

I don't know if we will ever see a 4-year player (or should we take this path) with recruiting or player development again.  IMHO we should not waste our time recruiting HS players unless they are certified difference makers that will or are ready to start game one.  Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to a attract that type of player (yet).  Our path to relevancy in the college basketball dialogue is winning by bringing in older, more experienced players even if it's only for a year or two at the end of their eligibility and then do this season after season, hanging banners and firmly establishing our program.  We need to do this with 22-23 year old players not 18, 19 and 20 year old players.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

What's fascinating about it? May was always enamored by Rubin as a defensive player.

I am fascinated that May will take the chance.

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2024 at 12:11 AM, emmitt01 said:

This is like saying the quality of food at Taco Bell has increased significantly over the past four years...it's still subpar.  

Terrible analogy. Taco Bell is amazing. 

• Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

On 4/24/2024 at 7:20 PM, drex said:

I am fascinated that May will take the chance.

I am fascinated just looking at their portal activity.  

Michigan lost:

PG Dug McDaniel to K-St.

C Tarris Reed to UConn

SF Youssef Khayat to Bowling Green

PF Terrance Williams to ???

May has added:

C Danny Wolf from Yale

CG Rubin Jones

PG Tre Donaldson from Auburn

SG Roddy Gayle Jr. from Ohio St.

SF Sam Walters from Alabama

What fascinates me is that he hasn't gone after Vlad or Davis from FAU and took Rubin over them.  From the looks of things, not much research done here, he is looking at Rubin as a sixth man type off the bench.  Maybe Davis expressed he wasn't willing to play that role, but I really thought he would bring he and "The Flopper" along.

(Vlad is projected to Michigan)

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Puking Eagle 2

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am fascinated just looking at their portal activity.  

Michigan lost:

PG Dug McDaniel to K-St.

C Tarris Reed to UConn

SF Youssef Khayat to Bowling Green

PF Terrance Williams to ???

May has added:

C Danny Wolf from Yale

CG Rubin Jones

PG Tre Donaldson from Auburn

SG Roddy Gayle Jr. from Ohio St.

SF Sam Walters from Alabama

What fascinates me is that he hasn't gone after Vlad or Davis from FAU and took Rubin over them.  From the looks of things, not much research done here, he is looking at Rubin as a sixth man type off the bench.  Maybe Davis expressed he wasn't willing to play that role, but I really thought he would bring he and "The Flopper" along.

(Vlad is projected to Michigan)

My understanding was Davis is having issues getting admitted academically to UM, thus the hold up. 

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Johnell Davis is out of Michigan’s price range. Massive bidding war going down for him right now between Arkansas and Kentucky. He will probably be highest paid player in college basketball next season.

I didn't want to "shoot the messenger", so

Throw Up White Lotus GIF by HBO

• Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Johnell Davis is out of Michigan’s price range. Massive bidding war going down for him right now between Arkansas and Kentucky. He will probably be highest paid player in college basketball next season.

Every post like this just causes me to have less and less interest in minor leag…I mean college basketball.  

It’s ridiculous. He’s a great player and he will help whatever team he goes to, but NOBODY is going to a game to see Johnell Davis play.  They will be going to see Arkansas or Kentucky play…and I bet those arenas are pretty much at capacity no matter how good or bad the team is.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, NT93 said:

Every post like this just causes me to have less and less interest in minor leag…I mean college basketball.  

It’s ridiculous. He’s a great player and he will help whatever team he goes to, but NOBODY is going to a game to see Johnell Davis play.  They will be going to see Arkansas or Kentucky play…and I bet those arenas are pretty much at capacity no matter how good or bad the team is.  

It's baffling. 

But... big followings = big egos with big pockets. It's not a "go to see johnell play," it's a pay whatever I can for my team to win. Not 1 fan/alum/student from UK or Arky gives a damn about johnell Davis. Not 1. NIL has gotten professional level to the point of market price or FMP. The only difference is there's no cap or contracts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

He could just get drafted 

You are correct. If he gets a guarantee from a NBA team that he will be drafted in the 1st round then that is a 3 year deal x $2M a year minimum and he will be GONE. 
But that is a long shot.
The Arkansas message boards are sure their Chicken Man money will land Johnell but some big $$$ alums at Kentucky took Calipari leaving for the Razorback job personally and refuse to lose out to Arkansas again. Johnell is benefiting from that bidding war. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

When all is said and done, I wonder if it will be more rewarding to be connected to the history and tradition that someone else created or be connected to the history and tradition you helped create yourself?  

If we're talking about Davis and FAU, A 2 year bump in success is hardly history and tradition unless FAU spins off a couple decades of success from the May/Davis era... Which is, uh, unlikely. 

16 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If we're talking about Davis and FAU, A 2 year bump in success is hardly history and tradition unless FAU spins off a couple decades of success from the May/Davis era... Which is, uh, unlikely. 

No, I realize this thread took a turn to other players and programs, but I was referring to the start of this thread and Rubin's decision move to Michigan to be connected to its history and tradition if that was part of the motivation.  

1 hour ago, keith said:

No, I realize this thread took a turn to other players and programs, but I was referring to the start of this thread and Rubin's decision move to Michigan to be connected to its history and tradition if that was part of the motivation.  

Meh. That's what his mama said. It sounds better than he was selling himself to Michigan. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 9:21 PM, Ross Hodgeson said:

He left because he and his family wanted to be connected to the history and tradition of the Michigan program.  I frankly doubt he makes a dime there money wise.

i also think Dusty May has been working on this deal for a long time which is disheartening.

He is getting 400,000 of those dollars you claim he isn't.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Meh. That's what his mama said. It sounds better than he was selling himself to Michigan. 

You wouldn't take a new job if they offered you 400,000 more than your current salary?

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1