Noland To The Portal

It is happening everywhere. Arkansas has ZERO scholarship players on their roster right now. 
If you were a good college basketball player under the current rules, why wouldn't you jump in the portal every year and see what NIL offers you could get? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Big Z said:

Looks like no one wants to play for Hodge? 

Doubt that has much, if anything, to do with it.  This is simply college football and basketball in 2024.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

None of these have been reported by the school or the player, yet.  The response I got to bringing this up was that this usually occurs when the players may be testing the waters but would be welcome back.  Guess I am showing my age, but if I were the coach, once you decide to enter the portal you are done here.  Another poster messaged me with the same feeling.  Zero commitment today.  All about what I can get for me, period.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

None of these have been reported by the school or the player, yet.  The response I got to bringing this up was that this usually occurs when the players may be testing the waters but would be welcome back.  Guess I am showing my age, but if I were the coach, once you decide to enter the portal you are done here.  Another poster messaged me with the same feeling.  Zero commitment today.  All about what I can get for me, period.

My thing is....ok I get that you transferred 1 or 2 times already, but when you are on your 4th or 5th stop? Why would I want a player like that? 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 7

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This is the AAU basketball/Select baseball mentality manifesting itself.  It was sure to happen eventually.  

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

We aren't the only school losing 5-6 players. This is what happens when you allow unlimited transfers and no NIL regulations. I really don't care if anyone from last season stays. It will be new guys every year.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

I mean at this point almost all of the talented AAC players regardless of team are in the portal. They’re going to have to adopt some contractual obligations for players/schools in the future. Year over year complete rebuild across D1 basketball isn’t sustainable. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Same thing works in the professional world. Surely you'd understand to see what value you can get for yourself 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

It is happening everywhere. Arkansas has ZERO scholarship players on their roster right now. 
If you were a good college basketball player under the current rules, why wouldn't you jump in the portal every year and see what NIL offers you could get? 

Because I would want to loyal and rely on myself and my team. I would want to prove people wrong. I would t want to be a coward hiding behind money and others. But I guess college athletics isn’t about competition anymore…..

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

20 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Same thing works in the professional world. Surely you'd understand to see what value you can get for yourself 

This isn't the professional world...well, I guess your right. With NIL it is now. Better start getting these young people agents to help them make smart decisions.

If SMU offered you $200,000 per year to come post on their fan board (Poneyfans.com) versus GoMeanGreen.com would you? What if LSU or someone else tops that by $50k the following year? In the business world, have you ever been offered substantially more to leave your employer? Or did you stay "loyal" to your company that may have hired you right out of college? It's unfortunate but these are the questions the kids have to make today. Playing and/or starting seems to be secondary. I think I would go get that paycheck my final year of eligibility.   

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1