A Scott Leaving Us

If they don't change NIL rules, look for college sports to continue to die.  It is always been a monopoly at the top, but that may change as all the lower tier competition is eliminated.  The SEC, PAC whatever, and Big Ten maybe have to schedule each other in the non-conference and they all have feasted on basically home only oc seasons.  

I assume Scott has graduated, if so I can't fault anyone who wants a different school on the next diploma.  Yes, I recognize it is likely; some other school  has offered and he has accepted a much larger NIL deal.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Who, Rubin, or is this in reference to Scott?

Last year Aaron and Rubin were offered NIL deals to a nearby B12 program but turned it down.

• Upvote 2

I will always be a fan of Aaron and Rubin but with the last two high school recruits-turned-stars for us leaving, I am 100% on board with majority focus on recruiting scorers out of JUCO/D2. They may leave after a year or two as well but at least we know they are proven at the collegiate level.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Bye

And people wonder why interest is lagging and people don't want to go.  Donate to the scholarship fund, donate to the facility's fund, donate to this collective or that for what?  A kid that is just using us to move along?  Getting more difficult to donate, to spend money on season tickets and to carve out time to travel to and from Denton for the games.  This doesn't help.  Love, A Scott.  One of my all-time favorites because of the little things he does, but I honestly don't know where he think to go to get more playing time.

This doesn't have anything to do with playing time. He is probably looking to play his final year in a bigger conference and make some money from the NIL. Don't blame him at all. He has earned that right and I wish he was staying but hope he finds what he is looking for. He can be a great role player on a top ten level team.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

This is really bad news, we will basically be starting over next season.

We had better get used to it. That is the way it is going to be every year going forward with the current situation in place. Glad we have someone like Ross who has that Junior College experience of rebuilding a roster every year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

If I won a Billion dollars I would use all of it to fight the concept of the NIL and the portal than to give it to people who don’t understand the concept of loyalty, team, family, and sacrifice. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Any time I see/hear someone say "If I had an XX number of dollars, this is what comes to mind."

Given all the kids at all the various schools, a billion dollars probably wouldn't last that long.

Edited by CMJ
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Last year Aaron and Rubin were offered NIL deals to a nearby B12 program but turned it down.

Do you know who the program was? OSU would work with the timing of beating them in the NIT. I wonder if they got offers this time from a program like Houston that would allow them to play in front of friends and family every home game.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

If they don't change NIL rules, look for college sports to continue to die.  It is always been a monopoly at the top, but that may change as all the lower tier competition is eliminated.  The SEC, PAC whatever, and Big Ten maybe have to schedule each other in the non-conference and they all have feasted on basically home only oc seasons.  

I assume Scott has graduated, if so I can't fault anyone who wants a different school on the next diploma.  Yes, I recognize it is likely; some other school  has offered and he has accepted a much larger NIL deal.  

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Bye

And people wonder why interest is lagging and people don't want to go.  Donate to the scholarship fund, donate to the facility's fund, donate to this collective or that for what?  A kid that is just using us to move along?  Getting more difficult to donate, to spend money on season tickets and to carve out time to travel to and from Denton for the games.  This doesn't help.  Love, A Scott.  One of my all-time favorites because of the little things he does, but I honestly don't know where he think to go to get more playing time.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Losing stars to the portal seems to be a much bigger gut punch in basketball than football. But this year proved we can rebuild into a 20-win team as fast as anybody. The NIL drives me nuts but at least don't question your season tickets. We still had our highest attendance in 47 years this season. Yet I bet most people not on this forum that go to games couldn't even name all the starters on the basketball team when they were students.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Losing stars to the portal seems to be a much bigger gut punch in basketball than football. But this year proved we can rebuild into a 20-win team as fast as anybody. The NIL drives me nuts but at least don't question your season tickets. We still had our highest attendance in 47 years this season. Yet I bet most people not on this forum that go to games couldn't even name all the starters on the basketball team when they were students.

We have had season tickets for like 30 years. I won’t give football or basketball up. Will continue it with my kids just like when I was kid; however I’m never giving to any form of NIL collective. 

and yes I could make many players. I would have to really think though haha. Maybe Eric Jackson to George King were some of the firsts as I would be them in the driveway at home after games shooting hoops. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Posted (edited)

If you want to feel better about our situation.......follow some of the Portal sites on Twitter (or X). Because this is hitting everybody. All schools. As I recall......there were 200 names in the portal....two days into the process. (when it started a few weeks ago). 

About the Portal.....it's a gut punch when you lose guys. (like Aaron, Rubin and Jason).

But in a week....or two....or three....when we start adding some from the portal (or juco or h.s. recruits)...it's easy to get excited again. 

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if Hodge does his job we're gonna be fine and all you bitching about NIL and the portal will be right back watching winning basketball next season and cheering for guys we landed through NIL and the portal. get over it. 

I suppose that's true if you're a generic sports fan who doesn't make an emotional investment in your favorite team/school. Perhaps in this new Era that's a mistake. Where we sit, we make it a point to cheer and encourage the players by name And I know they hear us.  We care about them as people, not some nameless player wearing the uniform. They are like family to us. As fans we buy tickets, attend as many games as possible, donate to the scholarship fund and collective and anything else we can do to help the team. It's a financial, time and emotional investment that takes a toll on us and losing our team  like this is like losing a family member to a cross country job promotion. This sucks big time and it hurts. I suppose I'll have to adapt or get out all together. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1