Charlotte (1/20/24)

CMJ

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I guess if you have the horses, you never lose.

Calling out one player in a game were the entire team looked completely gassed, is suspect IMO.

Oh there is lots to pick out. But everyone is piling on Stone when there are other liabilities out there. Say what you want… but there are some that maintain the level of play and others that don’t. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is not a fair assessment since we didn’t have Buggs &, more importantly, Jones.

Lets get back to full strength & see wha we look like against these upper echelon AAC teams before overreacting.

We haven't been a strong post team all year, not just about this game. Luckily we have been good at shooting, but tonight we had an off night, and one of the best ways to break out of that is relying on your big man to make some buckets down low and take some of that mental pressure off of the shooters. It's just something we aren't strong in, and that's always going to be a glaring issue when we have off shooting nights.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Too much over reacting about fatigue, Sissoko vs Abou, guys not pulling their weight and so on. It was an off game and that's it. I told myself against ECU that it was likely the last win of our 4-0 conference start. You just can't expect to stay undefeated down 2 starters. Going 4-1 without Buggs and 3-1 without Buggs and Jones is more than we could have asked for. Now the question is will they be back for SMU.

I don’t disagree with you at all bc I think those guys all make each other better but Sissoko really does have to improve if we are going to accomplish whatever it is we want to accomplish this year.  Which to me is at minimum a tournament bid.  That may not be fair with Ross in a new role and replacing key players, but I think we are at the point where it’s ok as a fanbase to begin to expect that.  If Ross and these dudes with another NIT I know that’s still logically beyond acceptable given how hard it is to get into the tournament or win enough straight games for an NIT.  

I guess the point to me though is that as a program, we are so healthy and consistent. We may not have every piece that makes us feel like we are going to get as far as we want to this yr but we just keep this culture and style and we will absolutely be ok.  These are fun times and I hope we all get to enjoy them bc it just feels so damn good to be proud of how these Eagles fight.  I trust them to do what they need to but for the first time in my 20 years of Eagledom, I finally have sensed a culture that reflects me and my values and the values of the school they represent.  

My pops played football at Houston in the 70s and they were just like us, middle class, looked down upon…but their attitude was F you, we are gonna shock the world.  And they did.  If we embrace our GRIT (which we do really have despite all the inclusionism culture on campus which in and of itself is a good thing, just another conversation) but seriously, if we embraced our culture of a bunch of middle class kids who stand on the shoulders of our poorer ancestors who got us here and we are here to earn this mf’n opportunity, THAT is our super power.  Our super power is F YOU!  We will outwork your ass!  And I honestly trust our current staff(s) to do that.  

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I still don't get what everyone saw in Sissoko that made it so easy for so many to wave bye to Abou. dude played well in 2 games and y'all thought we had the center position solidified. 

Doesn't matter what we think. We cheer for our team and hope for the best. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

We don’t look tired, this is what it looks like when you get  your ass handed to you. Give Charlotte their credit. They were up for the game. They wanted it.

And, I stand by what I said earlier…Aaron Scott plays soft. If he was one of the guys to lead this team, he’s underachieving. It’s not all on him tho. Other guys need to step up when the moment arrives too. Just don’t wait for one person to score for you. 

In the words of Vince Lonbardi, "fatigue makes cowards of us all." Not saying our guys don't have courage, but when you're fatigued you don't play your best and as a result make the other guys look good or perhaps better than what they are. Om sure our guys will remember when we get them in Denton. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hunter Green said:

In the words of Vince Lonbardi, "fatigue makes cowards of us all." Not saying our guys don't have courage, but when you're fatigued you don't play your best and as a result make the other guys look good or perhaps better than what they are. Om sure our guys will remember when we get them in Denton. 

Perhaps…or, as someone posted earlier, we may have just had a bad day. Understandable. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

I don’t disagree with you at all bc I think those guys all make each other better but Sissoko really does have to improve if we are going to accomplish whatever it is we want to accomplish this year.  Which to me is at minimum a tournament bid.  That may not be fair with Ross in a new role and replacing key players, but I think we are at the point where it’s ok as a fanbase to begin to expect that.  If Ross and these dudes with another NIT I know that’s still logically beyond acceptable given how hard it is to get into the tournament or win enough straight games for an NIT.  

I guess the point to me though is that as a program, we are so healthy and consistent. We may not have every piece that makes us feel like we are going to get as far as we want to this yr but we just keep this culture and style and we will absolutely be ok.  These are fun times and I hope we all get to enjoy them bc it just feels so damn good to be proud of how these Eagles fight.  I trust them to do what they need to but for the first time in my 20 years of Eagledom, I finally have sensed a culture that reflects me and my values and the values of the school they represent.  

My pops played football at Houston in the 70s and they were just like us, middle class, looked down upon…but their attitude was F you, we are gonna shock the world.  And they did.  If we embrace our GRIT (which we do really have despite all the inclusionism culture on campus which in and of itself is a good thing, just another conversation) but seriously, if we embraced our culture of a bunch of middle class kids who stand on the shoulders of our poorer ancestors who got us here and we are here to earn this mf’n opportunity, THAT is our super power.  Our super power is F YOU!  We will outwork your ass!  And I honestly trust our current staff(s) to do that.  

Sure, Sissoko has to improve. He's also barely getting any playing time. Starter or not, you can't expect him to progress and/or get in a groove with how many minutes he's playing. Over the course of the season, he's averaging 17.2 minutes per game and 6.1 rebound including 2.6 offensive rebounds per game. For comparison, Abou's career high in average boards per game for us was 6.0 in 24.3 minutes per game. Obviously we need more on offense from him but at least he's not hitting 48.3% from the field on 9 attempts per game like Abou was. Being that inefficient from around the basket was a killer at times.

For us, our only path to the Big dance is through the AQ. Best we get our starters healthy for the conference tournament. I'd love some marquee wins along the way but beating Memphis or FAU once won't get us in anyways.

The program is otherwise in a great place. I believe we have the right coach to continue that F U culture and attitude. Ideally we can get some more depth for these long seasons in the next few recruiting cycles.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why do get to be judge and jury?  If you think it is a bad take you should have the decency to provide some facts or data to support that opinion.

I'm second-ing another's opinion in this thread.  I'm not intersted in repeating things that have already been said.  But if you want something, here

I've seen enough of this game to know when I see a tired squad.  Does a bad shooting night always equate to being tired? No, but they're related.  It makes sense, IMO, to believe this after what transpired @ ECU.  To see this small rotation get maxed out...night after night.

I don't like the "tired" talk though.  You can't be constructive about it, except for saying "get some rest."  Let's talk about our shallow rotation.  Our awful offensive efficiency.  And, when Edwards is off, how painful we are to watch. 

Stating another obvious: Stone isn't contributing.  A difficult truth is, since the Grant era, not only are we not recruiting to help with depth, we haven't successfully gotten anyone that is enough to offset Stone's minutes.  Apparently, who ever we have past him is not good enough defensively (or even offensively?) to earn the edge over him.  

Want to call someone out? Call out Grant and Hodge for that.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

The bottom line is we have no offense outside of JE. Until we figure out how to recruit some offense, this will happen. 

Maybe I am speaking out of emotion right now, but the offense outside of JE the last two games has looked like a high school team playing pickup ball at the gym. 

Some will say, oh their defense was good, blah, blah. We just didn't make shots. Plain and simple.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully, the two kids we’ve recruited for next season is a start. But, that’s still a season away. 
Anyways, the season is gonna be a dog fight. Tired or not, they’re gonna have to bring it every game. But, this is what’s expected when you move up a level in conference. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

The bottom line is we have no offense outside of JE. Until we figure out how to recruit some offense, this will happen. 

Maybe I am speaking out of emotion right now, but the offense outside of JE the last two games has looked like a high school team playing pickup ball at the gym. 

Some will say, oh their defense was good, blah, blah. We just didn't make shots. Plain and simple.

Aaron Scott has a lot of offensive game, but I've been saying since early non-con that we have no offensive sets focused on getting him the ball in good positions. 

we missed some good looks today that might drop next week. we also took a lot of bad shots because this team lacks a dynamic point guard and a real offensive identity/plan.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1