Charlotte (1/20/24)

CMJ

10 hours ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

When you live and die by the 3 point shot like this team does, you are bound to have an off shooting night like today’s game. 

Or just being a jump shooting team in general. Maybe mix in some mid-range jumpers now and then at least. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

In the words of Vince Lonbardi, "fatigue makes cowards of us all." Not saying our guys don't have courage, but when you're fatigued you don't play your best and as a result make the other guys look good or perhaps better than what they are. Om sure our guys will remember when we get them in Denton. 

You can look at the score to see this first thing. Holding them to 56 is what we do. 44 points in a game is just not normal for us.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Exactly.  For nearly 8 years now these fellas have shown us that they’re mentally tough enough to deal.  We aren’t as fragile as we’ve been conditioned to feel over the decades.  These dudes can handle.  Tonight sucked and I honestly had the same initial fear when I saw the graphic of the next slate of games we have.  But the culture of this program truly does have fortitude and until they prove otherwise they’ve got the benefit of the doubt.   Hope we get our 2 guys back to play probably the most winnable sports game we’ve felt we’ve had against SMU in quite awhile (which to be honest is I think at least one of the largest reasons around any commenters’ stress)…and I hope we do.  But these dudes in this program have never done anything other than just come back and back and back and back.  It’s not an easy league.  Shit happens.  Get back to work and go kill it. We will be ok I bet. 

Good take. The AAC is a tough league. Even the two ranked teams have losses in conference already.
I was watching the Texas/Baylor game today and Texas next EIGHT opponents are ranked in the Top 25.

If we are going to keep ascending as a program we are going to play better and better teams. We aren’t going to win ALL of them. We just have to win most of them (while still also winning all the cupcakes) and this team is doing that. 

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Good take. The AAC is a tough league. Even the two ranked teams have losses in conference already.
I was watching the Texas/Baylor game today and Texas next EIGHT opponents are ranked in the Top 25.

If we are going to keep ascending as a program we are going to play better and better teams. We aren’t going to win ALL of them. We just have to win most of them (while still also winning all the cupcakes) and this team is doing that. 

I think that most here acknowledge that AAC is tough and that winning on the road in league play is even tougher. There will be some losses for sure.

The justified griping on here is not that we lost, rather HOW we lost yesterday. Out hustled, out efforted, and completely miserable on the offensive side of the ball. Sloppy ball handling, lazy passes, and unforced errors all over the place. Charlotte wanted it more and kicked our ass as a result.

Still believe in this team though. Clunkers happen. Just unfortunate timing. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I think that most here acknowledge that AAC is tough and that winning on the road in league play is even tougher. There will be some losses for sure.

The justified griping on here is not that we lost, rather HOW we lost yesterday. Out hustled, out efforted, and completely miserable on the offensive side of the ball. Sloppy ball handling, lazy passes, and unforced errors all over the place. Charlotte wanted it more and kicked our ass as a result.

Still believe in this team though. Clunkers happen. Just unfortunate timing. 

That's more or less how people describe losing to us (out efforted, etc.).  Granted I wasn't really able to follow the game other than checking my phone for the score a few times, but it sounds like Charlotte may have beaten us at our own game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

That's more or less how people describe losing to us (out efforted, etc.).  Granted I wasn't really able to follow the game other than checking my phone for the score a few times, but it sounds like Charlotte may have beaten us at our own game.

Yeah - I agree to a certain extent. If you read through the game thread, I pointed out several times how Charlotte’s defense was stout contributing to our self inflicted woes, especially during several key stretches of the game. They straight up beat us. We deserved to lose.

That said, many of our threes were open look, uncontested shots that were nowhere close to going down. Edwards especially was forcing things and very undisciplined with the ball leading to turnovers in critical situations where we could have cut the lead to a single possession. As always, when you get dominated, there’s multiple reasons why. Take nothing from Charlotte though. Credit due for handling us pretty easily.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Yeah - I agree to a certain extent. If you read through the game thread, I pointed out several times how Charlotte’s defense was stout contributing to our self inflicted woes, especially during several key stretches of the game. They straight up beat us. We deserved to lose.

That said, many of our threes were open look, uncontested shots that were nowhere close to going down. Edwards especially was forcing things and very undisciplined with the ball leading to turnovers in critical situations where we could have cut the lead to a single possession. As always, when you get dominated, there’s multiple reasons why. Take nothing from Charlotte though. Credit due for handling us pretty easily.

I have seen plenty of teams miss open threes against us too.  I think when a team plays good/great defense it can cause the opponent to press when they actually DO have decent opportunities, because they have that boogeyman in the back of the head.  When you know you won't get a ton of great chances you tend to overthink it when you do.  It's sort of a forced, unforced error - hearing the footsteps - situation.  Back when Temple had John Chaney as coach, I thought his stout zone defenses tended to do that to schools.  By the end of the game whoever would play them would be bricking wide open shots constantly.  

• Upvote 2

I missed this game, unfortunately.  Just the box score of 1-17 from 3pt is really all you need to see, though.  We're a volume 3pt shooting team and made 1.  I'm highly inclined to think and agree with those who said we must have been tired.  Shooting touch is the first thing to go when you're tired.

• Upvote 2

I’m thinking they got some of the ‘eastern’ Carolina bbq while in Greenville and, besides being a long way from home the better part of the week for 2 straight road games, that junk will make anyone feel bad. Supposedly the ‘western’ Carolina bbq is better but I’m here to tell you it’s ALL junk. If you want pork bbq, don’t go past Memphis.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1