And Here We Go

UNTLifer

Athletes suing for not getting paid to play thus forcing universities to share in the revenue produced by the teams these athletes play for.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39064621/athletes-sue-ncaa-power-5-not-getting-paid

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

The anti trust exemptions are going to be the key to all of this.  The amount of money that will line politician's pockets will no doubt be huge regarding this topic and I am sure big money will eventually win out and the athletes will ultimately lose this aspect, but they will win the right to get more money than they have in the past.

If it truly becomes pay for play and players become employees I believe most universities will be forced to shut down organized sports and revert to intramural/club.  However, I doubt it gets to that point and they figure out a way to pay players enough to keep them somewhat content without being employees.  Going to be an interesting few years.

For what its worth, most of the rest of the world's universities operate on the intramural/club model when it comes to sports, although Japan has recently embarked on an intercollegiate journey somewhat similar to the US model.

• Upvote 2

So if student athletes become employees they can sign a contract and be sued when they break it. 

What kind of mass revenues does UNT make off the Athletic Department...

So if your selected to attended a military Academy your signing a contract with that military branch and owe them your service after graduation. How does NIL and the portal effect them? 

This quickly turning into a SHITSHOW. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

NO.  Their payment is a college scholarship.  Do Junior High kids need paid for playing 8th grade football?  The school gets revenue from tickets and popcorn sales.  It's all stupid. 

Not many teams make money through sports.   I think you will see programs shut down or move down.  From what I have been reading a lot schools wont be able to compete in the NIL revenue sharing world.  Some are names we know in conference we strive to be in.  The super conference will form and they will pick and choice who they want in the league. you think they will want a Vanderbilt, Baylor, UH etc etc. I am not sure if SMU can keep up with the teams in the super conference.  Could even a Nebraska get in the super conference.  I guess the best we could hope for is regional conference with some good teams in it after the cards are all shown.

I have not lost my love for the Mean Green but my love for college football is diminishing.   Why not just watch the NFL.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

46 minutes ago, untphd said:

The days when NFL players used to work second jobs to make ends meet are over and I think the days of not paying players is coming to an end. The  evolution of NCAA football will be come similar to that of the NFL

https://operations.nfl.com/learn-the-game/nfl-basics/rookies-guide/evolution-of-the-nfl-player/

As @TripleGrad mentioned above, this is great and remove the scholarship that pays for everything. Might be eye opening to some of these kids when they realize how much all of that costs. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

I believe full rides are based on cost of attendance.  At UNT THIS AMOUNTS TO $27,937 for an in-state student.  If we abide by the NCAA restriction of 20/week, a fifty week year would add up to a 1000 hours per year.  Using these numbers, we come up with an hourly wage of $27.94.  An hourly wage this size exceeds the hourly wage of 75% of hourly workers.  In addition to these tangible benefits there are many intangibles associated with acquiring a college education.

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, Graddean said:

I believe full rides are based on cost of attendance.  At UNT THIS AMOUNTS TO $27,937 for an in-state student.  If we abide by the NCAA restriction of 20/week, a fifty week year would add up to a 1000 hours per year.  Using these numbers, we come up with an hourly wage of $27.94.  An hourly wage this size exceeds the hourly wage of 75% of hourly workers.  In addition to these tangible benefits there are many intangibles associated with acquiring a college education.

I would guess that it is closer to 50 hours a week at a lot of institutions.

https://www.diverseeducation.com/sports/article/15088977/ncaa-athletes-work-long-hours-survey-says

One sensible solution is to take the money that would normally go toward paying for a scholarship and place that money in a trust fund similar to the armed forces or minor league baseball.  Stop the charade of forcing players to take classes, many times in subject they are not even interested in, and let them focus on their sport. 

Schools will still have to pay room and board and enough of a salary to cover hanging out money (or more) while playing their sport.  After they are done playing, they can spend the money on whatever they want, including an education.  There are plenty of degrees that coaches won't allow/strongly discourage.  This approach would allow players to pursue subjects they are actually interested in and have the time they need to focus on their studies.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, untphd said:

The days when NFL players used to work second jobs to make ends meet are over and I think the days of not paying players is coming to an end. The  evolution of NCAA football will be come similar to that of the NFL

https://operations.nfl.com/learn-the-game/nfl-basics/rookies-guide/evolution-of-the-nfl-player/

No.  The great difference is these are student-athletes, enrolled in college, that should be trying to get an education and degree, not a paycheck!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

53 minutes ago, NT80 said:

No.  The great difference is these are student-athletes, enrolled in college, that should be trying to get an education and degree, not a paycheck!

You are right, they should be. What they are doing is getting an education in sport, so they can try to make it to the big time.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1