33 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Exactly a year ago today. 

North Texas didn’t have a head coach

North Texas had no Recruiting Class

No Chandler Rogers or Ethan Miner on North Texas roster

Ayo had never rushed for 1000 yards in a season

Maclin had never had over 400 yards receiving in a season

Landon Sides was enrolled in HS

Moral of story is there is a lot of time between now and August 2024.

Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS 

What do you think Mean Green fans would say in December of 2023 if you were to ask them about their predictions about where UNT football would be in December of 24?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Considering we were late to the portal game last year and I don't follow other programs much, when can we expect commitments to start rolling in? I realize nothing is done until they're actually on campus but I'd feel a bit better about our fate if I saw some commitments.

If our coaches are savvy, they could use this portal cycle to show potential recruits UNT is where you can come to raise your profile and then get paid elsewhere. There is still hope for year to year success.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If our coaches are savvy, they could use this portal cycle to show potential recruits UNT is where you can come to raise your profile and then get paid elsewhere. There is still hope for year to year success.

Very interesting outlook. Accepting what comes…lemons into lemonade. Hats off to you!

• Upvote 4

Need to leverage this new day: 

1. Play close to home - unleash your skills in front of friends and family

2. Play in the hottest sports business region in the country - eyeballs and proximity are here

3. Play in a fun system 

4. Utilize these final years to elevate all your skills - athletic, business acumen, network, connectivity 

5. Execute in great company. North Texas is AAC ACC Big 12 SEC country

GMG

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I really hate this take, honestly. 

What is wrong with us fans wanting to build?   Convincing someone to join a 3k-1k-1k is a heckuva lot easier than assembling another 3-1-1.  

Remind me again of when this program has seen sustained success?  As the roster continues to exit stage left, it gets increasingly more difficult to achieve that level that everyone wants.  

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

so 2024 is the same except Sides, hopefully will be a Sophmore and we have a HC

And about 15-20 kids more already committed and about a dozen of kids coming on campus this week. 

9 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

I really hate this take, honestly. 

What is wrong with us fans wanting to build?   Convincing someone to join a 3k-1k-1k is a heckuva lot easier than assembling another 3-1-1.  

Remind me again of when this program has seen sustained success?  As the roster continues to exit stage left, it gets increasingly more difficult to achieve that level that everyone wants.  

Literally everyone in the country is having to deal with the portal right now. There is already 3000 kids in the portal. And we havent played the first bowl game. There will be almost 6000 kids in when all is said and done. There are only a little over 11,000 availlible fbs schollys. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

And about 15-20 kids more already committed and about a dozen of kids coming on campus this week. 

Literally everyone in the country is having to deal with the portal right now. There is already 3000 kids in the portal. And we havent played the first bowl game. There will be almost 6000 kids in when all is said and done. There are only a little over 11,000 availlible fbs schollys. 

Bookmarked for a year from now. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigWillie said:

But we had just finished making a bowl game.....just sayin.

We lost in a Bowl that claimed 12,000 in attendance.  There might be more people on campus during the fall semester on an away game Saturday.   🙄.  If you were one of the few UNT Football fans who watched or went to the game I applaud your loyal support.  But I don’t know what you are saying.  They lost to a Boise State program in such good shape their head coach Andy Avalos  got fired just a month ago.   Bowl games are worthless now more than ever because any of your players that put on an impressive show might use that to jump into the portal.

sidebar: I would love to add Andy Avalos to the defensive coaching staff as a replacement in waiting for Caponi. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

We lost in a Bowl that claimed 12,000 in attendance.  There might be more people on campus during the fall semester on an away game Saturday.   🙄.  If you were one of the few UNT Football fans who watched or went to the game I applaud your loyal support.  But I don’t know what you are saying.  They lost to a Boise State program in such good shape their head coach Andy Avalos  got fired just a month ago.   Bowl games are worthless now more than ever because any of your players that put on an impressive show might use that to jump into the portal.

sidebar: I would love to add Andy Avalos to the defensive coaching staff as a replacement in waiting for Caponi. 

I am by no means a SL supporter. I think they did the right thing in getting rid of him, but if we are talking about being better than what he left, that's my point. Regardless of what type of bowl it was, it was better than sitting at home. Hell, we were even in the championship game. All those points that were made in the original post mean nothing if it didn't get the job done.

THAT'S what I was saying.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Seth Littrell coached them to that bowl game but not in that bowl game. Bennett coached that bowl game. Bowl attendees did have the chance to see the new coach (Morris) during the pregame stuff though. I don’t know how you specifically pin that particular low attendance on Littrell, if he was the big issue wouldn’t more folks have come out to show their support for the AD in firing him and also for the newly hired coach?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

Exactly which is why now I'm wondering what this cycle should look like. When do players really start committing?

you have to remember Transfer Portal Players do not sign NLI's like High School or JUCO kids, so they may commit, but until on campus they are free game

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Considering we were late to the portal game last year and I don't follow other programs much, when can we expect commitments to start rolling in? I realize nothing is done until they're actually on campus but I'd feel a bit better about our fate if I saw some commitments.

6 minutes ago, untbowler said:

you have to remember Transfer Portal Players do not sign NLI's like High School or JUCO kids, so they may commit, but until on campus they are free game

'Twas in my original question but that was never answered. 

Should we expect players to start committing after bowl games when more guys enter the portal? Is it normal for things to be so quiet or in typical G5 fashion are we just waiting for the P5s to fill up so we can pick from what's left?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

'Twas in my original question but that was never answered. 

Should we expect players to start committing after bowl games when more guys enter the portal? Is it normal for things to be so quiet or in typical G5 fashion are we just waiting for the P5s to fill up so we can pick from what's left?

I wonder how many other schools already have transfers committed since the portal opened.

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Seth Littrell coached them to that bowl game but not in that bowl game. Bennett coached that bowl game. Bowl attendees did have the chance to see the new coach (Morris) during the pregame stuff though. I don’t know how you specifically pin that particular low attendance on Littrell, if he was the big issue wouldn’t more folks have come out to show their support for the AD in firing him and also for the newly hired coach?

Not pinning the attendance on Seth.  But we have to get out of the mindset that just getting to a bowl game is some significant accomplishment when more than half of all FBS.  The quality gap between teams G5 with 6-4 wins is minimal.  Fans know that and that  is why interest was minimal in that bowl game.

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yes, But not many have to deal with as many that has entered the portal as we have. 

I appreciate your optimism. I truly do and I want nothing more than my grumpy, negative ned self to be proven wrong with my pesimism.  

• Upvote 1