Should Matt Caponi Be Fired? My Thoughts on the Situation.

TheReal_jayD

Let’s say we give it to them for starting behind the 8-ball with the late hire. That’s understandable. However, the problem is the adjustments, or lack thereof. We are the worst team in rushing defense, but we CONTINUALLY come out light on defense with undersized personnel. I don’t get it! Short down & distance and we give them the same look…small 3-man front! Our LBs are also on the smaller size to hold up against the run. What changes have we seen to combat that? Supposedly, the benefit of having a 3-safety look is to help with run support. I don’t see our safeties running downhill to support the run as much. Although I see them make a lot of tackles, it’s always 8-10yds beyond the LOS. So, if your scheme doesn’t support the run with your safeties, utilize undersized LBs and light DL, we are where we’re suppose to be…dead last in stopping anything. What’s changing or what has changed since day one? If for ten games this defensive staff have not made the adjustments to win games now, they are not going to help you win later. 

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

The defense has been terrible in spots and decent in others.  Unless Morris has a home run hire, I think Caponi is likely to get another year, though.  See what Caponi can do in the TP and what Kegans can do with the off-season.  There’s no way it’s worse next season… 

Technically it can't. We are the worst in the nation right? There is no lower we can go. 

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/6/2023 at 4:22 PM, aprice said:

I'd see your point if we weren't dead last in the FBS.  You have to be next level incompetent to be last out of 130 teams.  If we were 90th or 100th, I would totally agree with you.

This is the non-beaten down North Texas fan take, imo. 

Any program that takes itself seriously knows the difference between room to grow and abject failure. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

it is the same story every week it seems.  If we just had a bad defense we would probably have more wins. just replay the Memphis game over in your head.  That pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

If I am the opposing OC I dont know if I would ever pass against us.  Just pull the Buick out and starting running.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Old Eagle said:

I don’t understand anyone who has patience with this defense and specifically it’s leadership. Any coach worth his salt would have scrapped the 3-4-4 scheme and moved to something that better fits his personnel. I for one have lost patience with the program’s lack of progress!

It’s amazing that just one individual can have such a disastrous affect on the outcome of an entire season. 

Unfortunate for players, fans and program. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Coach_1976 said:

If he is fired. What about Texas A&M DC. With Jimbo fired. DJ Durkin will most likely be on the market. He does have a top 20 defense in the SEC. Not sure we can afford him but we may have to on the purse strings.

I think, if we're looking at recently-fired defensive coaches, this guy might be a little more attainable (I don't see him getting another HC look,, at P5, G5, or even FCS).   And he would actually bring in a good understanding of how a real 3-3-5 defense is supposed to work, as he's a Rocky Long disciple.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Mississippi State just fired their HC, who also happened to be their previous DC the past 3 seasons. This was his first time being HC, and he worked under Leach. Maybe the Leach connection and the no job thing may entice him to catch on as a DC. P5 coach who has actual, real experience as a DC. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/11/2023 at 8:59 AM, GMG_Dallas said:

If we give Caponi another year, we're only delaying the process of transitioning to another system if that ends up being the direction. Better to do it now before too much damage is done by way of recruiting players for the 335 or we'll have no choice but to hire another 335 coach. If we keep Caponi, the next DC will likely also run a 335 which tells me what type of defense we need to be prepared to see for the next few years.

I'd be all down for giving the 335 and Caponi another year if it weren't for the fact that the defense is performing so poorly, even in the passing game. We may not be giving a bunch of passing yards per game but that's only because the run defense is so poor and we played NAVY plus Temple with a backup running QB. Just terrible all around and I feel bad the players are wasting their eligibility with this guy.

Absolutely ..  Run defense does not exist under Caponi. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/13/2023 at 9:23 AM, 3_n_out said:

Mississippi State just fired their HC, who also happened to be their previous DC the past 3 seasons. This was his first time being HC, and he worked under Leach. Maybe the Leach connection and the no job thing may entice him to catch on as a DC. P5 coach who has actual, real experience as a DC. 

Not only that, Arnett learned the 3-3-5 directly from Rocky Long when he was on his staff at SD State.

That said, I think Arnett will get another P5 DC offer after this year. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...