Game Thread: 9/16 @ LA Tech

Matt from A700

Coaches really missed an opportunity to have a semi dominating win and quiet the critics, but a win is a win and the first win is always tough.  Enjoy the win Coach Morris and get some things addressed during the bye week. 

The QB job seems to have been settled tonight if it wasn't already. 

Fix the defense.  There were glimpses of goodness tonight, but there are still glaring issues on D.

GMG

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Victorygreen04 said:

It was the first win by our new HC...yall act like we are ALABAMA. Be happy we won.. I swear yall stay living with CORA!!! 

I didn’t realize Louisiana Tech was a G5 powerhouse.  I guess you missed the part where I said I enjoyed the win.  Hell drop down to FCS independent right now with no playoff eligibility due to too many scholarships, we can win a lot of games then🙄

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Victorygreen04 said:

Do yall forget we have a NEW HC? I swear.. This isn't going to happen overnight.. 

So it’s high and unreasonable expectations to have a coaching staff that knows how to protect a 17 point lead?  I wouldn’t have as passionate of a criticism of the defense IF they didn’t put their shortcomings front and center by running a stupid trick play at midfield.  Protecting the ball with late in games is football 101.  Unfortunately some high school coaches would need security for losing a game after making such a bone headed call.  The call was maximum risk with minimum reward.  As EVIDENT they still needed an onside kick, converted into a TD drive to tie the game.  That play was maximum risk and minimum reward if executed correctly.  If you don’t like to read valid criticism then log off, have a drink and enjoy the win. 🙄

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, aprice said:

Don't you think there's gotta be somewhere between worst defense in the FBS and Alabama

Hell, I would just settle for not running trick plays with a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter.  😂. Maybe then the defense doesn’t give everyone a heart attack.  But hey they are  “new” what do you expect?  High School level game management?  We aren’t Georgia remember? 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

We don’t act like we are Alabama, we act like we expect the new coach to outperform the fired coach he replaced. We beat Louisiana Tech by 20 points last year.

Hell even that’s too steep for many I guess.  As for me, I don’t expect trick plays when the offense has 3 score lead in the 4th and has executed well for most of the game.  I guess we are both irrational malcontents.  😂

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm a bit annoyed at the collapse. They took their foot off the gas on offense and I'd expect our HC to know better than to do that. You never give the other team life. Glad they squeezed it out. Hopefully getting that first win gives them some momentum moving forward. 

Well said. We’ll learn from this. That FG drive at the end was clutch. 9 plays, 61 yards in 1:01. It feels good to get the win. 

IMG_1797.png

• Upvote 7

i made a point to check stats at the end of the 3rd qtr. i made a mental note that we only had given up 230 yards of offense at that point in time (was important to me, given our reputation as the worst defense in murica). La Tech finished with 432 yards... 

but the last play of the 3rd qtr was a gain of 33 yards for the bulldogs, so for the last 15 minutes and change, the mean green gave up the majority of yards/points to the techsters

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Hell even that’s too steep for many I guess.  As for me, I don’t expect trick plays when the offense has 3 score lead in the 4th and has executed well for most of the game.  I guess we are both irrational malcontents.  😂

Couldn’t agree more 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

The 4-man front resulted in back-to-back 3 and outs and about 4 yards of LT offense in the 1st quarter, but Caponi thought it would be smart not only to move back to the 3-man front, but basically stick with it for most of the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th quarters.  That dude is too stupid to remain as our DC. 

Who is the CEO of the football team that allows the defensive coordinator to continue with a 3 man front?  Fire the DC if he doesn’t change to a 4 man front!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm not sure we pull that off in OT, mainly due to the defense.

I give Rogers all the credit for being a gamer and moving the ball down the field after spending much of the final 10 minutes on the bench. I was worried about their ability to get back in rythm and ended up impressed. That was a great game winning drive.

Very true.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Rogers at QB definitely seems to move the ball more steady with his short to intermediate pass efficiency, which can only help this defense.  Earle seemed more reliant on the home run ball which is seemed more susceptible to stacking multiple 3 and out drives together which contributed to exposing this defense.

Yupp. Said in another thread that controlling the ball would help the defense look a little better. Definitely still more work to do on the defensive side but that’s exactly how it played out. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

The 4-man front resulted in back-to-back 3 and outs and about 4 yards of LT offense in the 1st quarter, but Caponi thought it would be smart not only to move back to the 3-man front, but basically stick with it for most of the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th quarters.  That dude is too stupid to remain as our DC. 

I agree with everything you say but have to wonder if part of the immediate success (first two drives) was that they weren't prepared for it and had to readjust.  I also don't remember, but I think their second drive was ended by a dropped pass that would have been a first down (again, I can't remember more than...what was I talking about?)

• Haha 1