Benford 2.0

Hookset

Morris is going to do to our football program what Benford did to our basketball program. 
We have 4 very talented running backs that will likely enter the transfer portal after this season so they can play for a team that knows how to utilize them.

We kept the game at 3:00 to take advantage of the heat. Even as “cool” as it was, the Cal fans were wondering how their defense would hold up in “the brutal heat” against our run. 
41 yards???

How many passing attempts were made?

We should have done our best to wear them out. Our strength is our running game. Their weakness was the heat.
Against the rest of the league, do your “Air Raid”.

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 12
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, rcade said:

If we've got this much despair after one loss, if we lose 8 like we did in Littrell's first season it's going to look like the Jonestown Massacre around here.

I really see it more like we care.  If we didn’t care you wouldn’t see much of a reaction.  I feel that passion is a good thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

It was pretty obvious what Benford was after one game, as he took what was a roster full of talent left behind and the player with the most (never to be fulfilled in any way) raw talent UNT basektball ever saw and easily lost to a DII team. Notice how Wren never fired him, but rather let him coach it out until the end of his contract.

Cal is no DII team, and the UNT roster left behind was not great. You could argue that Morris should have dipped heavier into the portal (which is probably true) but that sure would have been helped hade the admins taken their decision at a better date rather than wait forever to make sure that the SL and WB eras matched each other exactly in terms of football games. You can also argue that Morris went too hard on inexperienced coaches, and that may be true. However that should also give you hope that they may actually learn from their mistakes pretty quickly. They will have to, otherwise they will not be long for their business. I trust that Morris does not get to the end of his contract if things keep looking like that for two years. Jared doesn't seem to have a WB-like aversion to firing anyone.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

These overall Benford comparisons continue to be a pathetic excuse for an overall pathetic football lprogram. We continue to lose good players to the transfer portal only to flip them for non D1 players. Doesn’t help that a good old boy network is involved in some of these hiring  decisions. 

Let Tony Benford enjoy his life; 5+ years since he left. He certainly didn’t hire himself. While other coaches are flipping their rosters overnight to improve the product, we keep bitching about Tony Benford. 

For the past 5-10 years we rave annually about the quality of the football recruits/classes  (All based on a flawed star system) Just because they may pick up another P5 or G5 offer doesn’t mean they can play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So how did Wyoming, Fresno St, Texas St and even UTSA compete so well against the Big Boys? And I’m sure there were more games like these this past weekend. 

Are they getting quality  players through the portal that change their program almost overnight? If so, where are they getting the “money” to pay these guys? Or do they just have better coaching? Why are we always on the outside looking in? 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is quite an accusation after 1 game.

I get that we’re frustrated & disappointed in Saturday’s outcome, but I’ll need to see at least 3/4 of this season before I would saddle Morris with this kind of comp.

It only took one game to see how big of a disaster TB was for our program. I remember how many of us were saying that after that loss. And I am seeing that same thing here this week.  The reality is… we shouldn’t have to pay the amount we pay for someone to give us these results. We should expect an actual football manager to give us something good from the get go and it is reasonable for us to expect them to get it right early.  I think we are going to see numerous mismanagement issues by our football manager and it will hurt us badly. 
those that are saying ‘it is just one game’ are having to put a lot of effort forward to ignore the train wreck we just witnessed. 

• Downvote 4

9 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

and a win against FIU is meaningless

Agreed. The next few weeks will seem like smoke and mirrors.

But I don’t think I am confident at all even with the next two games. This looked so much like the ‘15 team at a time when we should never have to look like that again with the portal.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Will Ferrell Chill GIF

Not a good take. Patience my friend. 

Calm with the lip service. You're unable to be unbiased without risking coaches or players not being on the pod/ leaking you info. Your opinion has no weight, what you report on is much appreciated though. All love. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1

Just now, Jonnyeagle said:

It is not meaningless to win on the road ever!

Point taken and a win is a win. It is meaningless in judging the team’s results and progress. Only winning cupcake game and looking overwhelmed against tougher teams is what got Littrell fired. It isn’t what Morris was hired to do. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Hookset said:

Morris is going to do to our football program what Benford did to our basketball program. 
We have 4 very talented running backs that will likely enter the transfer portal after this season so they can play for a team that knows how to utilize them.

We kept the game at 3:00 to take advantage of the heat. Even as “cool” as it was, the Cal fans were wondering how their defense would hold up in “the brutal heat” against our run. 
41 yards???

How many passing attempts were made?

We should have done our best to wear them out. Our strength is our running game. Their weakness was the heat.
Against the rest of the league, do your “Air Raid”.

Ok, so you think after 1 game against an improved Cal team that Morris is going to be Benford. That's a wild take, but yeah we did technically have a pretty balanced approach this past week.

We had 27 run plays vs 26 pass plays. I do agree that we should have maybe tried to run the ball more. However, it wasn't very effective against the Cal defense. 

The first week is over, it's time to bury the tape (nvm I'm old it's all digital now) and move on. 

We're On to MIAMI!

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well I don't think this is a good comparison. Seth didn't win hardly anything, like championships and big games, but Jones did. Benford wasted the talent of Tony Mitchell, Morris isn't wasting any talent. It's also been 1 game, chill the hell out.

How can you say morris isn't wasting talent? 

I can say he's wasting our OL talent, running back talent, and Mazins talent...off the top. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1