The Grass Isn't Always Greener

jtm0097

9 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

We had a RB by the name of Sigger 2 years ago who transferred to SMU and decided he was to far deep to play and then transferred to another school. What school did he transfer too? Might have spelled his name wrong.

Incarnate Word, he's in the rotation at RB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Every single player listed besides Gumms is playing meaningful snaps at their new school. Gumms is behind a true freshman who was a top 100 national recruit and two seniors. He is still a sophomore and will likely factor in next season. Just because they're not lighting the world on fire doesn't mean it proves they can't play at that level or that they're unhappy. 

I personally know a player who went from G5 to P5 as a junior this season and is redshirting when he was hoping to play. Is he upset? Of course not. He got $40,000, lives in a high rise 5 minutes from campus with his brother who's on the team that's fully paid for, and just this past week got an additional $5,000 from NIL just for being on the team. 

We also shouldn't take joy in seeing guys that gave blood sweat and tears to us for 3+ years not succeeding if that is the case. 

• Upvote 11
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

Honestly, if Sundays aren’t in their future, my recommendation to players would probably be to go get paid for Saturdays. A cash base before taking your first career job would be really helpful.

And miss out on playing?  Seems like sort of a sell out in some ways but I do get that people need money to pay bills.

• Puking Eagle 1

On 9/3/2023 at 10:49 AM, jtm0097 said:

I looked at the box scores from yesterday for a few games. It seems our guys that left via the portal had minimal impact at their transfer destinations.

Jake Roberts 1 catch 1 yard (Baylor)

Jyaire Shorter 0 stats (Auburn)

Larry Nixon 0 stats (Auburn)

Var'Keyes Gumms 0 stats (Arkansas)

Asher Albersing 0 stats (Cal)

Cameron Robertson 0 stats (SMU)

DeShawn Gaddie Jr. 1 tackle (Ole Miss)

if a former "star" player here leaves and isn't contributing at a new school, isn't that more a poor reflection on the state of our program than the player himself?

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

34 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

And miss out on playing?  Seems like sort of a sell out in some ways but I do get that people need money to pay bills.

$150k/yr before I even went to start my career would have given me a pretty big head start financially. They’re still part of a team, get to practice, work out, network with alums, and have a shot to play… all with a nice little nest egg. Seems like a no brainer in the current system.

• Upvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if a former "star" player here leaves and isn't contributing at a new school, isn't that more a poor reflection on the state of our program than the player himself?

I don’t think it is. If they were good enough when they left our program to make the roster at the new school, the reason they’re not contributing is on the player or the new coaches.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm not necessarily saying that, but it is an interesting case study. Blue Blood P5 schools are taking players from the lower tier P5 schools. Lower tier P5 schools are taking top G5 players.

G5 schools are taking players from lower level G5 schools (in our case ULM and Arkansas St). Lower tier P5s and G5s are taking players from FCS and D2 programs. 

As a result, high school and JUCO kids are not being recruited as much. I'm interested to see what transpires in the next few seasons. If this model stays or if the NCAA adds more regulation. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

If every coach intended to use every player he acquired by transfer, sure. But sometimes they just want to load up with backups in case there are injuries. I'd hate to be a star player who moved to a bigger school and never played. The money would be nice, but not as nice as getting on the field with the few years of eligibility an athlete has.

9 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I personally know a player who went from G5 to P5 as a junior this season and is redshirting when he was hoping to play. Is he upset? Of course not. He got $40,000, lives in a high rise 5 minutes from campus with his brother who's on the team that's fully paid for, and just this past week got an additional $5,000 from NIL just for being on the team. 

This guy has made $45k and lives rent-free in a high rise apartment…all while redshirting.  It’s not even pay to play, it’s pay to be on the team and maybe play in the future.  

I think we’d all take that deal.  

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

What school is he at?

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:49 AM, jtm0097 said:

I looked at the box scores from yesterday for a few games. It seems our guys that left via the portal had minimal impact at their transfer destinations.

Jake Roberts 1 catch 1 yard (Baylor)

Jyaire Shorter 0 stats (Auburn)

Larry Nixon 0 stats (Auburn)

Var'Keyes Gumms 0 stats (Arkansas)

Asher Albersing 0 stats (Cal)

Cameron Robertson 0 stats (SMU)

DeShawn Gaddie Jr. 1 tackle (Ole Miss)

Just so much cowardice involved in this new transfer portal world. Want cash no and don’t want to get better for the future. What a joke. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 9/24/2023 at 1:16 PM, ntmeangreen11 said:

How pathetic and disgusting what college football has become then. Would never coach up or want my son to ever have that mentality or life. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 6