With SMU leaving I am concerned

Where do we go from here?  Again, SMU did everything in their power to not be associated with us in any way.  And now their wish has been granted and they have joined a power conference.  What happens now?  I am very fearful that the Mountain West or PAC2 now will join in some way and we will be left behind once again.  Please talk me off the ledge.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 8
  • Downvote 4

This is actually not worse case scenario. If all of this played out differently, we could have lost a lot more teams, and would have been really reeling. At this point, we are decently positioned. If SMU is the only team that leaves, and the conference is stuck at 13 teams, so be it. It was a little awkward having two DFW teams in the same conference anyways. Best case scenario we either join up in a new "best of G5" conference in the Pac-12, or add Washington State and Oregon State to the AAC. Even though geographically MWC makes more sense for them, we can offer more money. The main deal either way is we need to find ourselves competitive for that token G5 playoff spot by being in the best G5 conference. My fear would be that MWC really pulls away with additions of Oregon State and Washington State as well, but even in that scenario, with teams like Memphis, Navy, Tulane etc. still in tow I think we can still be competitive. Buckle up, now comes the fun part for us. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

This is actually not worse case scenario. If all of this played out differently, we could have lost a lot more teams, and would have been really reeling. At this point, we are decently positioned. If SMU is the only team that leaves, and the conference is stuck at 13 teams, so be it. It was a little awkward having two DFW teams in the same conference anyways. Best case scenario we either join up in a new "best of G5" conference in the Pac-12, or add Washington State and Oregon State to the AAC. Even though geographically MWC makes more sense for them, we can offer more money. The main deal either way is we need to find ourselves competitive for that token G5 playoff spot by being in the best G5 conference. My fear would be that MWC really pulls away with additions of Oregon State and Washington State as well, but even in that scenario, with teams like Memphis, Navy, Tulane etc. still in tow I think we can still be competitive. Buckle up, now comes the fun part for us. 

Agreed.  Now we need to hope that ESPN and Aresco can work out a deal for the 2 left behinds and maybe pick off the Mountain West of their better markets.

6 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

and they have joined a power conference

Just give it a couple of years. I don't think there's any way the B10/SEC let the ACC remain a "power conference." As a matter of fact, I give it 1-2 years before the B10/SEC pluck the schools they want and the ACC ends up in the same boat as the P12.

My prediction for the future

• The B10/SEC pluck the best of ACC schools
  • The B10/SEC break off from the rest of FBS
  • They create their own rules around paying players
  • They create a similar structure to the NFL with conferences and divisions
  • They end up with their own playoffs
  • They crown their own national champion

At that point, I think the rest of the conferences and the ACC leftovers (like SMU) go back to being more regional and playing in a separate playoff system.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the concern. Who cares about SMU. They'll struggle to be 6-6 and won't regularly win more than 10 in basketball in the ACC.

The PAC 2 won't join the MWC. Not enough money and limited visibility.

Edit to add: if anything, this reinforces the notion that geography doesn't matter. Oregon and Washington to Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana for an AAC West division isn't so far-fetched anymore. The beauty in all this is that the other AAC schools such as Tulane, Memphis, USF have no potential landing spots. The ACC and BIG 12s expansions this summer have solidified the AAC (Minus SMU).

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

We should cancel our series with them, but we won’t. 

Agree. UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane ect. should also refuse to schedule them in the future. Use it as an opportunity to lock them out of Texas and surrounding state based games.

We get nothing out of our series with them. 

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

30 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Pretty sure its going to be the other way around.

Y'all are going to need "winnable" games to get to bowl eligibility and I think your AD loves that we help fill up your stadium. I don't think SMU would be against playing UNT in OOC. But like others have said, the series was cancelled when we joined the AAC and we don't have any OOC openings until 2030. This year's game will be the last for a long time. 

21 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Y'all are going to need "winnable" games to get to bowl eligibility and I think your AD loves that we help fill up your stadium. I don't think SMU would be against playing UNT in OOC. But like others have said, the series was cancelled when we joined the AAC and we don't have any OOC openings until 2030. This year's game will be the last for a long time. 

We already have a better NIL and transfer portal class than most of the ACC including Wake, Duke, BC, Syracuse, NC State, and UVA.

I do not think we'll keep UNT on the schedule but I wouldn't mind it.  Easy travel and fun for the region.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTX said:

I really hope this is a bluff or untrue news. He has to get OrSt and Wazzou. If we just let the MWC have them they are, without doubt, the premiere G5 conference. We will slide back to 2 while the Belt keeps nipping on our heels. 

I know P5 isn't necessarily a "thing" any more, but WSU and OSU are now the first two to be kicked out of the club and they are not likely to be the last.  I think the biggest threat to the AAC and UNT in particular (and it's diminishing daily) is if WSU and OSU were somehow able to pull a rabbit out of the hat and reconstitute the PAC with some collection of schools from the MWC and AAC (or all of the MWC schools) and keep all the benefits and privileges that go along with it.  

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There is zero reason to play SMU. It's a lose/lose for UNT. 

The Safeway Bowl isn't a lose-lose when we're beating them. I still want to see us go to Not That Gerald Ford Stadium and put another slobber knocker on them like 43-6 in 2014.

The fact that stupid conference is still called the Atlantic Coast indicates how stupid they are and all this is. More stupidness will come from it. I am not concerned at all about avoiding stupidness. Any prior involvement with smu was stupid and we should learn from prior stupid mistakes. Sadly their stupid people will come on here to proclaim their superiority. Just block or otherwise avoid their stupidness.