GMG Report: Scrimmage Notes 8/19

TheReal_jayD

36 minutes ago, Hookset said:

The he defense has been this team’s Achilles heel for years. McCarney had one good year with a defense and won a bowl. Dodge years scored lots of points but couldn’t stop anyone. Littrell years were the same, no defense (3 man or 4 man fronts). Littrell started running the ball mostly to take advantage of our backs and to eat as much clock as possible to keep the opposing offense of the field. 
If Morris/Caponi don’t recruit better defensive linemen and LB’s, then we will repeat the mantra. “Explosive offense, but easy to score on.”

Praying that our new defensive coaches can recruit…

It's two weeks until the beginning of the season. If you are going to pray, then pray that our defensive coaches can properly assess the strengths and needs of the defense and then coach the hell out of them in the next two weeks......and then coach the hell out of them during the game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hookset said:

The he defense has been this team’s Achilles heel for years. McCarney had one good year with a defense and won a bowl. Dodge years scored lots of points but couldn’t stop anyone. Littrell years were the same, no defense (3 man or 4 man fronts). Littrell started running the ball mostly to take advantage of our backs and to eat as much clock as possible to keep the opposing offense of the field. 
If Morris/Caponi don’t recruit better defensive linemen and LB’s, then we will repeat the mantra. “Explosive offense, but easy to score on.”

Praying that our new defensive coaches can recruit…

I guess some people have amnesia with Reffett. When we had the right guys 2017-2019 our defense was good to great at times. 

Might be a bit rough this season, but I expect they’ll right the ship. Just gotta recruit their asses off.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I guess some people have amnesia with Reffett. When we had the right guys 2017-2019 our defense was good to great at times. 

Might be a bit rough this season, but I expect they’ll right the ship. Just gotta recruit their asses off.

Sure, they have to recruit better front 7 personnel. We knew that. After they became accustomed to our game film, they knew that. Things have changed. There is no more incremental improvements in weak areas. Incremental improvement is gone forever (hopefully not forever) with the rules in place. Our defensive staff knew our personnel and they knew it needed to be shored up. It's about going after high impact high school recruits that can and will help in the future AND productive transfers from the portal that will help NOW. Yeah, yeah they're going into their 1st season with one 1/2 of a recruiting season under their belt. Well, isn't UAB? FAU? CLT in the same scenario? 

I can live with holes in the roster. I can't live with it as being a season altering excuse when the rules let coaches hem up their roster YoY as they see fit. Oh? They couldn't get the transfers they needed/wanted? Again, not our problem as fans. That's their problem(s). I'm not tryin to doom and gloom, just pointing out the rules in place. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sure, they have to recruit better front 7 personnel. We knew that. After they became accustomed to our game film, they knew that. Things have changed. There is no more incremental improvements in weak areas. Incremental improvement is gone forever (hopefully not forever) with the rules in place. Our defensive staff knew our personnel and they knew it needed to be shored up. It's about going after high impact high school recruits that can and will help in the future AND productive transfers from the portal that will help NOW. Yeah, yeah they're going into their 1st season with one 1/2 of a recruiting season under their belt. Well, isn't UAB? FAU? CLT in the same scenario? 

I can live with holes in the roster. I can't live with it as being a season altering excuse when the rules let coaches hem up their roster YoY as they see fit. Oh? They couldn't get the transfers they needed/wanted? Again, not our problem as fans. That's their problem(s). I'm not tryin to doom and gloom, just pointing out the rules in place. 

I agree with this but I knew they weren’t going to shore up everything on defense in one cycle. Was hoping they’d bring in some better LBs. Guess we’ll start seeing what we got in two weeks. 

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

So, based on these two accounts, it sounds like Earle is making electric plays that keep him in the convo,

…while Rogers seems to be moving the ball more consistently - minus the big plays.

would this be a good assessment of how they compare right now?

Sounds that way... and sprinting away from pressure and heaving the ball into triple coverage 40 yards for a Christmas gift of a completion does not sale me. If Earle is doing that AND making the routine look routine then sign me up. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

So, based on these two accounts, it sounds like Earle is making electric plays that keep him in the convo,

…while Rogers seems to be moving the ball more consistently - minus the big plays.

would this be a good assessment of how they compare right now?

Scouting report says Rogers still started with first team offense.  To me that implies Rogers was still deemed starter at the beginning of the scrimmage.  Maybe that changes next scrimmage?  Maybe I'm reading too much into it.  But I don't want a Seth-start to the season where the starter is pulled the first time we are down two scores or because of an interception on a panic throw.  I want a QB to separate themselves and other QBs still be happy, lol.

Starting Lineups 

1st Team Offense ( Got 1st Snaps)

Rogers Ragsdale Cleveland, Maclin, Burns

Moreka, Blair, Carroll/Miner, Duncan, Nwaiwu

2nd Team Offense

Earle Horton Ward Conwright Johnson/Adeyi

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I don’t discount those years. We weren’t at the bottom of the FBS defensively (slightly worse than 50%) and I hoped we would keep trending up but that didn’t happen and we went back down to the bottom of the FBS.

Defense needs to improve quickly!!! Whether it’s scheme, players, coaches, or all three.

I am tired of seeing other programs play better than us (see UTSA, UAB, FAU). 
Offense is exciting to watch but defense wins games.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

From @DallasGreen

Chandler was recruited to be the starter, he will be the starter. I like Earle as far as hustle and running ability, but Seth never used him due to arm strength. No D-1 experience like Rogers. Earle is a great change of pace backup, but he is not capable of consistently moving the ball vs Berkeley. Rudder May have an arm but he is way too slow

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

From @DallasGreen

Chandler was recruited to be the starter, he will be the starter. I like Earle as far as hustle and running ability, but Seth never used him due to arm strength. No D-1 experience like Rogers. Earle is a great change of pace backup, but he is not capable of consistently moving the ball vs Berkeley. Rudder May have an arm but he is way too slow

This is legit?? The most likely scenario?

Black Woman Wow GIF by adamant media

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, Jdawg48 said:

This is legit?? The most likely scenario?

Black Woman Wow GIF by adamant media

Think of it this way: transfers make their move to either 1) be more high profile AKA start or, 2) go to a specific school.

In other words, I don't think Rogers was targeting Denton.  I think Morris reached out and told him he needs a QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

From @DallasGreen

Judging a QB based on Seth Littrell’s assessment is not a great way to go about it.

He’s never played nor coached the position. He lucked into Mason Fine and having Graham Harrell develop him.

I don’t care who it is. It’d be cool to see Earle beat the odds but as long as we’re winning I don’t care who it is.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1