4 teams from AAC agree to leave?

SMU, Tulane, and Rice are small schools with small fan bases, their media footprint is tiny, especially compared to the remaining PAC schools.  A potential media deal would not be lucrative to the PAC with just these schools being added. 

Memphis is in a medium market, but the only game in town, and they have a bigger media footprint then the others.  However, that conference might not be as attractive for basketball (which is big at Memphis). They may not have enough schools for a auto bid for the tournament.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

The COVID year showed us games can be scheduled within a couple of weeks (BYU/Coastal Carolina comes to mind) 

Yeah, both schools were desperate for a game at the time... this is not that situation

i have no doubt that the four schools could fill a schedule, but they would play more away games than home games, and they would be playing a lot of 'lower tier' schools

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

That's just some kid who doesn't know anything. He's repeating what he read from MHVer3's feed.

Actually blocked me on Twitter when I asked if that's where he got the info.

Yeah that's what I thought since nothing came up online when I researched the so-called "Cal Insider." I just figured if we're posting random Twitter sources, might as well post one that can calm down gomeangreendotcom before bedtime.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

So much wheel spinning on here.

If Cal and Stanford are focusing their efforts to get out of the PAC, then nobody, not even SMU, is going to waste time and money to get into a conference with freakin Oregon State and Washington State.   

Aresco also can't ethically negotiate a group of schools out of the conference and he certainty couldn't do so and become the new PAC commissioner.  He would be buried in lawsuits.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

So much wheel spinning on here.

If Cal and Stanford are focusing their efforts to get out of the PAC, then nobody, not even SMU, is going to waste time and money to get into a conference with freakin Oregon State and Washington State.   

Aresco also can't ethically negotiate a group of schools out of the conference and he certainty couldn't do so and become the new PAC commissioner.  He would be buried in lawsuits.

IF there is any truth to the above tweets, that means the PAC 4 are no longer standing together or trying to rebuild their conference.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Whatever happens, wherever we end up I hope Aresco is our commissioner. In that case I would feel really good about our future. 

I like that he has a proven plan for growing a league and that it has been reported by several places that a condition for teams to join was a commitment to invest in athletics. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

IF there is any truth to the above tweets, that means the PAC 4 are no longer standing together or trying to rebuild their conference.

He obviously has confused himself.   IF as he says Luck is only working with OSU and WSU, then why does he refer to "Momentum shifting towards PAC-4 expansion rather than merger."  It would only be the PAC-2 considering those options according to his own tweets.   I have No confidence in his news!

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

SMU would be fine with that arrangement. 

The 6 new additions, UNT, UTSA, FAU, Charlotte, UAB and Rice would probably be the schools on the endangered list. If the PAC 4 takes all the programs that were in the conference before Cincy, Houston , and UCF left, which 3 of the recent additions are taken  which gets them to 11 yes votes? NOT Charlotte, FAU or UNT, so it could happen unless the AAC says all or nothing as the MWC did, which got them dropped as a potential landing spot for all 4 PAC programs.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, wardly said:

The 6 new additions, UNT, UTSA, FAU, Charlotte, UAB and Rice would probably be the schools on the endangered list. If the PAC 4 takes all the programs that were in the conference before Cincy, Houston , and UCF left, which 3 of the recent additions are taken  which gets them to 11 yes votes? NOT Charlotte, FAU or UNT, so it could happen unless the AAC says all or nothing as the MWC did, which got them dropped as a potential landing spot for all 4 PAC programs.

Tulsa? Really!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I do not believe Stanford will join the AAC or MWC, especially in 2024. They will keep pushing for the ACC and go independent for 1-3 years if needed. I think Cal believes if the ACC happens, then they would get an invite, also. I don't see how Cal could afford to try the independent route. OSU and WSU should make a deal with the AAC or MWC because the two California schools will not worry about them.

• Upvote 2

If its just Wazzu and OSU, then i doubt the additional money is good enough for them to choose the AAC over MWC and its geographically closer programs. But if it is just those two I also doubt they can just rebuild as the pull would likely be very small. Wazzu and OSU have much less power by themselves. MWC and AAC (and sun belt) would all happily take them as normal members. Even as members with slightly increased payouts. But none of them would risk conference peace over them.

I also do not see why Arresco would meet with Luck to discuss anything other than a merger/ AAC picking up teams, or at least a coalition that benefits his conference membership as a whole.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

From what I read Luck, who is who the PAC 12 should if hired in the 1st place as commissioner, is exploring options for the remaining 4 programs. His first hurdle in saving the conference is to put together some type of TV contract that pays as much as the American Athletic Conference , somewhere if the $10 million plus range. Without one the PAC 12 conference is dead . If he can get one, which is a big if, then they can add 4 AAC programs now and a few MWC schools later. If not, then the PAC 4 can decide to go independent or join the AAC . The only 2 schools who might chose the independent rout are Stanford and Cal, and Cal has major financial problems in their athletic department. If appears the the MWC is a no go because of the length of their media contract and the fact it only pays $4 million a year,. On the other hand the AAC has an option in their media contract that they can renegotiate if they bring in new members that increases the conference's value. Isn't this fun.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, wardly said:

From what I read Luck, who is who the PAC 12 should if hired in the 1st place as commissioner, is exploring options for the remaining 4 programs. His first hurdle in saving the conference is to put together some type of TV contract that pays as much as the American Athletic Conference , somewhere if the $10 million plus range. Without one the PAC 12 conference is dead . If he can get one, which is a big if, then they can add 4 AAC programs now and a few MWC schools later. If not, then the PAC 4 can decide to go independent or join the AAC . The only 2 schools who might chose the independent rout are Stanford and Cal, and Cal has major financial problems in their athletic department. If appears the the MWC is a no go because of the length of their media contract and the fact it only pays $4 million a year,. On the other hand the AAC has an option in their media contract that they can renegotiate if they bring in new members that increases the conference's value. Isn't this fun.

Good info!  One thing you are missing is there was some type pf accounting error from Comcast that overpaid Pac 12 by the tune of 50 million dollars and they will have to pay it unless they just shut the whole thing down.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/pac-12-network-must-pay-comcast-50-million-dollar-after-fiasco/?amp=1

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1