My Prediction For Starting QB. (It Has Changed)

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

I have full faith in Coach Morris and his staff making this decision and I have zero personal preference. 

But I'm also going to be the killjoy and say averaging 150 ppg and 15 yards rushing per game in today's college football is pretty pedestrian. Whoever gets the job has to make some plays down the field each game. Or we are going to be easier to defend. 

Stone averaged 6 yards per carry last year for us. I think that is pretty good.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Stone averaged 6 yards per carry last year for us. I think that is pretty good.

If it's six rushes for 36-40 yards that works. If it's two rushes for 12 yards....I think we'll need more production than that. 

There's no magic number, I just want the QB to be a threat. Harris was UTSA's third leading rusher with 600 yards and nine TDs. His yards per carry wasn't amazing but he made you pay a few times a game. That's all I'm hoping for. 

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, meanrob said:

My two cents on the quarterbacks-

We're basically going to have two types of games this year, games where we can run the ball and games that the other team holds our running backs in check. The games we can run the ball the quarterback can go 13-20 for 150 yards and we'll be okay. When we can't run the ball don't expect the quarterback to toss the ball around. Ward had 5 games over 300 yards last year and they went 2-3. Both of those wins were against lousy teams. I just don't think this kind of offense is going to light up the passing game. We averaged 460 yds a games last year. WSU averaged 360 yards.

WSU also held the opponent under 25 pts a game in nine games. We did it four times. 

Which means the quarterback needs to make plays with his legs. To me the perfect game with any of these quarterbacks is about 200-240 yards passing and at least 40 yards rushing. 

Morris may be from the Leach tree but don't expect that this year. Expect a pretty patient offense no matter who is the quarterback. 

Rogers didn’t put that level of stats up on average at ULM.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

If it's six rushes for 36-40 yards that works. If it's two rushes for 12 yards....I think we'll need more production than that. 

There's no magic number, I just want the QB to be a threat. Harris was UTSA's third leading rusher with 600 yards and nine TDs. His yards per carry wasn't amazing but he made you pay a few times a game. That's all I'm hoping for. 

Stone was our fifth best rusher by yardage last year only below our four-headed running back monster.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Stone was our fifth best rusher by yardage last year only below our four-headed running back monster.

I'm not sure of your point. I don't care who the QB is, they'll need to make plays with their feet. When it's third and nine and no one is open they need to get the first down with their feet. When it's third and two, the defense needs to know the QB is an option. And I don't mean once a game. If Stone provides that, awesome. 

• Upvote 2

When it comes to pure QB ability, Ruder is you guy. From what I observed in the spring he had the strongest arm, the most effortless release, and when he took off on a scramble he was surprisingly quick and fast. My only possible concern about him is his mental consistency.  It gets down to how he (or any other QB's) reacts to an interception. If he's not having that issue, then he is a better choice than the other two. 

HOWEVER, I think that if Ruder starts having mental/leadership issues, then Stone Earl is your guy. He's one of those QB's that doesn't pile up big stats, but he's going to do anything that he can to win......much like Harris at UTSA.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, meanrob said:

His yards per carry wasn't amazing but he made you pay a few times a game. That's all I'm hoping for. 

Worth remembering when looking at yards per carry in college football, sacks count as a loss in rushing yards. UTSA allowed 26 sacks last year (per the NCAA website). I have no idea if all 26 were on Harris but for the ones that were on him, those count against his rushing yards and therefore against his average yards per carry. I didn't go through every game but using the Army game, he had 8 "carries" for 30 yards for 3.8 ypc despite carries of 23 and 19 yards because he was also sacked 4 times for 29 yards. All that to say, I would 100% take Harris' rushing at our QB position. UNT allowed 11 sacks last year. Earle or Rodgers will both have the space to make defenses pay with their legs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Worth remembering when looking at yards per carry in college football, sacks count as a loss in rushing yards. UTSA allowed 26 sacks last year (per the NCAA website). I have no idea if all 26 were on Harris but for the ones that were on him, those count against his rushing yards and therefore against his average yards per carry. I didn't go through every game but using the Army game, he had 8 "carries" for 30 yards for 3.8 ypc despite carries of 23 and 19 yards because he was also sacked 4 times for 29 yards. All that to say, I would 100% take Harris' rushing at our QB position. UNT allowed 11 sacks last year. Earle or Rodgers will both have the space to make defenses pay with their legs.

Does anyone have any interest in Head?  Seems like he has disappeared.  Makes me think he is still injured or something.

47 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Harris had 25 sacks for -126 yards.

image.png.06e4bbfa150c444f4c99510d082d2fa0.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

I'm not sure of your point. I don't care who the QB is, they'll need to make plays with their feet. When it's third and nine and no one is open they need to get the first down with their feet. When it's third and two, the defense needs to know the QB is an option. And I don't mean once a game. If Stone provides that, awesome. 

Good point. Hopefully, our offense is a pass-first option for the QB, not centered on a QB racking up yards (we have plenty of good RBs). Not as worried about how many yards he has, but was he able to escape and keep drives going when needed?

• Upvote 3

Regarding rushing yards last year, Rogers had 145 carries, 353 yards, and 5 TDs. Passing, he was 216-319 (67% completion rate) 2,403 yards 15 TDs and 7 INT.

So he averaged 18-27  200 yards passing and 12 carries for 29 yards a game rushing. The good news is that he never threw more than 1 INT in a game.

He played on a bad ULM team. They only won 4 games. I wonder how he would have done behind our line last year and with our offensive weapons. Well the good news is outside of the 2 TEs and Shorter, we are returning most of the offense. So whoever takes over, they will have a capable OL, workhorse RBs, and a talented WR group. The future is bright or I'm just drunk on preseason green kool-aid.

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Regarding rushing yards last year, Rogers had 145 carries, 353 yards, and 5 TDs. Passing, he was 216-319 (67% completion rate) 2,403 yards 15 TDs and 7 INT.

So he averaged 18-27  200 yards passing and 12 carries for 29 yards a game rushing. The good news is that he never threw more than 1 INT in a game.

He played on a bad ULM team. They only won 4 games. I wonder how he would have done behind our line last year and with our offensive weapons. Well the good news is outside of the 2 TEs and Shorter, we are returning most of the offense. So whoever takes over, they will have a capable OL, workhorse RBs, and a talented WR group. The future is bright or I'm just drunk on preseason green kool-aid.

He was sacked 35 times for a loss of 222 yards which factors into the rushing stats. He rushed for 575 yards on 110 carries (5.2 ypc) if you take out the sacks which shouldn't count against rushing stats.

In comparison, UNT QBs were sacked 11 times for 71 yards.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He was sacked 35 times for a loss of 222 yards which factors into the rushing stats. He rushed for 575 yards on 110 carries (5.2 ypc) if you take out the sacks which shouldn't count against rushing stats.

I thought the rushing yards looked weird when reading the stat line. Thanks for the correction!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I thought the rushing yards looked weird when reading the stat line. Thanks for the correction!

No problem. I don't understand why sacks count against rushing stats in college. I don't think they do in the NFL but I could be wrong. Regardless, it's dumb. Let it be it's own category.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He was the leading rusher in attempts (barely) for ULM. That’s insane. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Right, because Patrick Mahomes and Cam Ward are indicative of a guy who doesn’t know what a good QB is.

You know what IS indicative of a guy who doesn’t know what a good QB is? A guy who’s never coached quarterbacks.

Morris has been here less than a year, he built a UIW program that went from a laughingstock to a conference champion. If he needs the time to evaluate his best option, I trust him way the hell more than I trust Littrell or Bloesch.

This happens again next year? I’m all in with you. I don’t think it does, because I think Morris knows what the hell he’s doing. Something Littrell showed he didn’t know the moment Harrell walked.

Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1