POLL: How Many Wins in 2023?

Cerebus

How Many Wins for the Mean Green in 2023?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Win Total

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

How would the board react if we won the first six and then lost the last six?

I would fire the coach because that is exactly what we got with Littrell and fired him for: beat the weak teams and lose to quality teams. If we are scared of teams like Tulsa then we are in trouble. 

Hopefully in this scenario we aren’t blown out in those games like Seth usually was.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

With 83 votes in the consensus seems to be around 6-7 wins.

Some follow up question for those who voted:  How bad a season could this team have and still allow you to maintain a positive outlook on future seasons.

On the flip side: How good a season would you need to see to completely buy into this coaching staff?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Some follow up question for those who voted:  How bad a season could this team have and still allow you to maintain a positive outlook on future seasons.

On the flip side: How good a season would you need to see to completely buy into this coaching staff?

One season is one season, IMO.  Outside of a scandal or a toxic locker room, Morris's job is safe for next year regardless of how he does.  And I don't know that this one season could make me "completely buy in" to the point of disregarding what happens the next couple of seasons.

That said, I will be very worried with anything less than 5 wins.  5-7 wins are about what I expect.  8 wins or more indicates a very solid coaching job.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I respectfully think you are not giving this new AAC enough credit and also the difficult nature of our schedule.

Compare this year's schedule with last year's schedule, and they look very similar.  The only really tough AAC addition to our schedule is Tulane, and they most likely will not be as good as they were last year.  And I'm taking the slightly more difficult schedule into account.  So I'm saying knock 2 wins off of what we did last season--a season with which most of us were disappointed, a season where opportunities to win were squandered--and I see 5 wins as a less than thrilling, but understandable, outcome for a season.

• Upvote 4

On 8/16/2023 at 3:06 PM, Cerebus said:

It's really more of an eyeball test kind of thing.  Regardless of W-L record, I just need to see how how things look and if it appears players are buying in or not.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2023 at 2:40 PM, cousin oliver said:

I respectfully think you are not giving this new AAC enough credit and also the difficult nature of our schedule.

Psh. We're staring at a 3-1 OOC record. 5 wins implies we go 2-6 in conference play. That's unacceptable. 1 game differentiation means everything. It's buy in from current players. Buy in from hopeful future players. It's more practice and another nationally televised game. 6-6 is the floor, it must be. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

6-6 is the floor, it must be. 

I tend to agree.  I’ll also add that we have to keep the losses respectable.  The 20+ point losses (7 times) the last two seasons were what sent me over the edge.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, NT93 said:

I tend to agree.  I’ll also add that we have to keep the losses respectable.  The 20+ point losses (7 times) the last two seasons were what sent me over the edge.

This. No more looking unprepared and overwhelmed. I can handle losses, just not like we have had in winnable games or SMut under Littrell.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

This. No more looking unprepared and overwhelmed. I can handle losses, just not like we have had in winnable games or SMut under Littrell.

You make a great point that I failed to mention:  we’ve been blown out in 7 winnable games over the past two seasons.

• Upvote 3

I think Coach Morris is very solid, what I am not a good Judge of is what the NIL and portal did to us. A new system and coaching staff in a new conference it could be bad this year. I still return that Morris will make it happen, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Like others have said. It will be more of a “how do we look”

the schedule is weird….the last half of the season is tough. However the first half is much easier and I would say that’s good for the new staff….

win the games we should win, be competitive in the games we shouldn’t. Positive momentum into next year is what I’m looking for so I can’t get caught up in the record in year 1. If he goes 3-9 but we’re in every game….I’ll be patient. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Like others have said. It will be more of a “how do we look”

the schedule is weird….the last half of the season is tough. However the first half is much easier and I would say that’s good for the new staff….

win the games we should win, be competitive in the games we shouldn’t. Positive momentum into next year is what I’m looking for so I can’t get caught up in the record in year 1. If he goes 3-9 but we’re in every game….I’ll be patient. 

If we only win three it means we were out-coached and/or undisciplined (coaching). Either way, it would be a massive step backwards. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

So...

• Upvote 1