I am starting to think this may really be happening!

3 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Well, actually I never “alluded” to some kind of insider information concerning AAC expansion. That’s your perception. 

All we have is hearsay, speculation and sports rhetoric.

Before we get all giddy let’s get the facts. We live in a world where common sense and logic are cast aside and replaced by the need for  control, power and greed which can lead to foolish and insane decisions. There are too many twist and turns yet ahead of us.

Sorry if you thought I was keeping insider information from you  

Go Mean Green  

Appreciate your honestly, but many of us on here respect you as a poster and you do seem to have some inside knowledge of the inner-workings at UNT.   So I think a lot of us give credence to what you have to say.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Sometimes it's good to be the best of the worst options (for the Pac-4).  As some of these now far-flung conferences have shown, geography is not that important.  Geography is what's causing some to say the Pac-4 should just merge with the MWC.  

Given the onerous exit fees, it sounds like it would be hard for the Pac-4 to reconstitute by picking off MWC schools one at a time.  It would require the MWC voting to dissolve itself and moving whole or in part to join the Pac-4.  Could happen, but seems unlikely.  On the flip side, I'm not convinced the MWC has the pull for things to go the other way and absorb the Pac-4/2.

Assuming the AAC institutions stick together, the other options the Pac-4 are pursuing evaporate and nothing happens with the MWC, the AAC is the next best option for the Pac-4 (or the Pac-2).  The Pac-4 picking off AAC schools one a time is probably the biggest risk for the AAC.  We all know who I'm talking about.  Stick together, stay strong and I think the entire AAC emerges out of this mess in a better place (although it may have a different name).

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 2

Let's not fall too much in love with the idea of Oregon State and Washington State coming to the AAC. 

"If Cal and Stanford are accepted into the ACC -- a possibility that hit roadblocks Wednesday evening -- there is a widespread expectation that Oregon State and Washington State would move to the MWC, sources told ESPN."

Mountain West mulls next move as ACC decides on Cal, Stanford - ESPN

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Let's not fall too much in love with the idea of Oregon State and Washington State coming to the AAC. 

"If Cal and Stanford are accepted into the ACC -- a possibility that hit roadblocks Wednesday evening -- there is a widespread expectation that Oregon State and Washington State would move to the MWC, sources told ESPN."

Mountain West mulls next move as ACC decides on Cal, Stanford - ESPN

this makes so much sense. Why would you go to the AAC, when you can save on travel costs in the MWC? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

this makes so much sense. Why would you go to the AAC, when you can save on travel costs in the MWC? 

What really killed the PAC 12 was the academic standard that Stanford, Cal, and USC held prospective expansion members too. Because of their " better than you " attitude I don't see  Stanford and California  lowering themselves and join the MWC or AAC. Cal also has large financial problems in their athletic department. They are in the process of spending millions updating their stadium. Poor timing. On the other hand  OSU and WSU would be a good fit in the MWC.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Because the AAC is the better league...stronger teams, has the richer TV deal, and would give WSU and OSU more exposure across the country. The AAC could establish divisions that would limit how much WSU and OSU travel east of Texas. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/11/2023 at 9:25 AM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Because the AAC is the better league...stronger teams, has the richer TV deal, and would give WSU and OSU more exposure across the country. The AAC could establish divisions that would limit how much WSU and OSU travel east of Texas. 

I could be wrong[ I often am] but I think most conferences are eliminating divisions so at the end of the season the best two teams play each other in their conference championship game. If memory serves the Big 12 led the way in this format.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, wardly said:

I could be wrong[ I often am] but I think most conferences are eliminating divisions so at the end of the season the best two teams play each other in their conference championship game. If memory serves the Big 12 led the way in this format.

They did. Out of necessity though. No other format made sense with only 10 programs. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/11/2023 at 7:08 AM, meanJewGreen said:

Though no one cares about academics, Stanford and Cal clearly still do. The AAC offers them better university partnerships in this regard. Also, more guranteed money. Also, a path to swipe the best MWC programs in 18 months and build a legitimate conference. The MWC conference decision, if made, would be viewed as nothing but a temporary solution. The AAC may be viewed somewhat similarly, but there is the chance of a legitimate conference being born in the AAC. 

• Upvote 1

As Wardly says, "I could be wrong" but I'm just pumped enough to believe that maybe the reason Aresco wants to take the Pac 4 teams is that he believes that would move us to A5. In addition it might allow basketball to have to have more than one team in the Big Dance.  Those four teams could be the open door because there is now one less formerly 12 team conference.  There has to be a reason why Mike is pushing hard to include the west. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

As Wardly says, "I could be wrong" but I'm just pumped enough to believe that maybe the reason Aresco wants to take the Pac 4 teams is that he believes that would move us to A5. In addition it might allow basketball to have to have more than one team in the Big Dance.  Those four teams could be the open door because there is now one less formerly 12 team conference.  There has to be a reason why Mike is pushing hard to include the west. 

I think in the mind of Aresco what it would do is guard to some degree against future changes to the playoff. If- as i am sure Sankey is aiming to do- from 27 onward they reduce to only the 5 best champions and 7 at larges (or maybe 11) using the PACs demise as an argument, then you can't be behind the MWC in quality. Getting these teams allows you to keep a foot in the playoff every year. Letting them go the the MWC could squeeze you out down the road.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

On 8/12/2023 at 11:28 AM, GrayEagle said:

Not sure if this has been floated around (with so many realignment threads). Here’s an half-joking but maybe dumb enough to work idea.

Since SMU is so desperate to be A5, and w*horing themselves out playing for free, why not give up their share of the AAC TV revenue (say $8M a year) and split that amongst the P4 teams? The extra $2M may be good enough of an incentive for them to join the AAC. Then add a few MWC teams down the road, possibly creating a P5 conference.

SMU will get its wish and the P4 teams will get some extra revenue.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The PACLeftovers have no leverage in asking for/expecting more money. You don’t get more just because. What do they bring to the table that would necessitate them getting a bigger piece of the pie? Nobody on the west coast watches or supports Stanford or Cal, and the Pullman and Corvallis markets are worthless. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

The PACLeftovers have no leverage in asking for/expecting more money. You don’t get more just because. What do they bring to the table that would necessitate them getting a bigger piece of the pie? Nobody on the west coast watches or supports Stanford or Cal, and the Pullman and Corvallis markets are worthless. 

https://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/160876-4-teams-from-aac-agree-to-leave/?do=findComment&comment=1445148

• Upvote 1