PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

If the PAC implodes, losing to many of their members they will just cherry pick the best from the MWC and AAC and create a West and East division to reduce travel expenses. It may not immediately garnish acceptance as a so called P5 but it will move it into the top of the so called G5 while eliminating a conference as the leftovers merge into the Sun Belt 3. That’s where we will land. 
Eventually the new PAC will inch it’s way to a place at the P5 table. 

• Skeptical Eagle 4
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

UNT TO THE ACC!!!

Well if the ACC loses members do they backfill with East Carolina, USF, Navy further wiping out the AAC. Then the AAC backfills with LaTech, Arkansas St, Texas State, Louisiana Laf, Georgia Southern, Appalachian St. 

Any way you look at it, it’s not good for UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

If they all leave, honestly, I see the PAC folding.  What's the attraction at that point?  SMU would be all by their lonesome.

This is my hope as well, thus my post that IF it survives we’re screwed.  

Things are really looking up right now.  I’ve never been more excited about the future of athletics.  So, a scenario where the PAC looses six schools and backfills with AAC schools is scary.  It would pretty much negate the progress it seems like we’ve made in the past year.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

4 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Things are really looking up right now.  I’ve never been more excited about the future of athletics.  So, a scenario where the PAC looses six schools and backfills with AAC schools is scary.  It would pretty much negate the progress it seems like we’ve made in the past year.

If Judy were still our commish, then yes, I would be concerned.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, NT93 said:

If the AAC was taken over by PaaC where would we end up?  The Belch?

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

If the PAC implodes, losing to many of their members they will just cherry pick the best from the MWC and AAC and create a West and East division to reduce travel expenses. It may not immediately garnish acceptance as a so called P5 but it will move it into the top of the so called G5 while eliminating a conference as the leftovers merge into the Sun Belt 3. That’s where we will land. 
Eventually the new PAC will inch it’s way to a place at the P5 table. 

It depends on who all bails.  If Oregon, Washington, and Arizona go to the Big 12, I don't think there is enough appeal to what is left..   Eyeballs are scarce out west even with the best teams and these aren't the best teams.  The media rights the rump PAC would get probably couldn't even justify the buyout for the MWC schools.   If Oregon and Washington stay in the PAC it probably survives.

Sources: Pac-12 leaders presented with Apple streaming deal

"After months of negotiations and uncertainty, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff on Tuesday presented the conference's presidents and chancellors with a primarily subscription-based Apple streaming deal for its potential television contract that expires after this school year, according to multiple sources.....

There's not expected to be any imminent decisions on whether this TV deal is enough to appease Arizona, Arizona State and Utah, which are being heavily courted by the Big 12. The Arizona Board of Regents, which oversees both Arizona and ASU, is scheduled to meet later Tuesday, but no decision is expected Tuesday night after the meeting....

The realities of the decision also emerged on campus on Tuesday, as Arizona coach Jedd Fisch addressed local media about the start of training camp and took multiple questions on realignment. Fisch told local reporters that he Zoomed with the families of his players to assure them that clarity on the future would emerge soon. He said a guiding force in the process would be "stability wherever we land."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38116124/sources-pac-12-leaders-presented-apple-streaming-deal

• Upvote 2

Arizona, Arizona State, and Northern Arizona have the same Board Of Regents . From what I have read the Wildcats and Sun Devils are not necessarily joined at the hip and the University of Arizona could move to Big 12 on their own. At only $20 million guaranteed from Apple Plus I don't believe that Oregon on Washington will commit to any long tern Grant of Rights Agreement as they have hope that the BIG 10 will invite them after they digest USC and UCLA. In addition, the ACC contract is iron clad and will have to run its course. This leaves the PAC 12 having to back fill with MWC and AAC programs. With either Arizona, Arizona State, or Utah [ or all 3] moving to the Big 12 and both Oregon and Washington not committing  to the PAC 12 , this conference is on life support.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't believe that Oregon on Washington will commit to any long tern Grant of Rights Agreement as they have hope that the BIG 10 will invite them after they digest USC and UCLA. In addition, the ACC contract is iron clad and will have to run its course. This leaves the PAC 12 having to back fill with MWC and AAC programs. With either Arizona, Arizona State, or Utah [ or all 3] moving to the Big 12 and both Oregon and Washington not committing  to the PAC 12 , this conference is on life support.

Florida State has hired two law firms to find a defense to get out of their ACC GOR contract (based mostly on loss of revenue compared to other conferences).  Clemson also wants out.  Rumors recently suggest the Big10 will soon offer Oregon, Washington, FSU and Clemson, so that tells me they have found a potential loophole in getting out of the ACC.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, NT80 said:

"After months of negotiations and uncertainty, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff on Tuesday presented the conference's presidents and chancellors with a primarily subscription-based Apple streaming deal for its potential television contract that expires after this school year, according to multiple sources.....

There's not expected to be any imminent decisions on whether this TV deal is enough to appease Arizona, Arizona State and Utah, which are being heavily courted by the Big 12. The Arizona Board of Regents, which oversees both Arizona and ASU, is scheduled to meet later Tuesday, but no decision is expected Tuesday night after the meeting....

The realities of the decision also emerged on campus on Tuesday, as Arizona coach Jedd Fisch addressed local media about the start of training camp and took multiple questions on realignment. Fisch told local reporters that he Zoomed with the families of his players to assure them that clarity on the future would emerge soon. He said a guiding force in the process would be "stability wherever we land."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38116124/sources-pac-12-leaders-presented-apple-streaming-deal

But the deal, sources said, would incrementally improve and potentially be competitive with its peers in the Big 12 and ACC down the road, provided certain subscription numbers are met.

So....I'm going to assume that the Apple deal is for the Pac 12 with the current teams. What happens to this deal if Arizona, Arizona St, Washington and Oregon leave? That deal is no longer attractive for Apple. So it will change.

Then any future deal will be for the four leftovers (Stanford, Cal, Wash St and Ore St) and whatever MWC/AAC teams join and at that point.....I will question if the updated deal will be worth moving to the Pac 12 (even though it's technically called the "Pac 12") which doesn't make a lot of sense. The "history of the Pac 12" is non existent ( I guess we can run Cal/Stanford the band is on the field on a loop)

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NT80 said:

You go exclusively streaming you immediately lose casual fans who will tune into your games. I watch games all day but I’m not getting Apple TV to watch the PAC. Even if they do some free games like MLS I’m probably not tuning in. Basically you’ll only get the fans of the teams and that doesn’t cut it. 

Also, Fox and especially ESPN will tone down any coverage of leagues/sports they don’t broadcast. Goodbye 75% of your coverage. 

From the beginning they should’ve had the PAC network in the ESPN fold like the ACC and SEC, they should’ve expanded to protect themselves from defections, and booted Larry Scott years ago. Too many late night games that 3/4 of the country didn’t see. They’ll teach college courses on how bad they f’d this up. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, meanrob said:

You go exclusively streaming you immediately lose casual fans who will tune into your games. I watch games all day but I’m not getting Apple TV to watch the PAC. Even if they do some free games like MLS I’m probably not tuning in. Basically you’ll only get the fans of the teams and that doesn’t cut it. 

Also, Fox and especially ESPN will tone down any coverage of leagues/sports they don’t broadcast. Goodbye 75% of your coverage. 

From the beginning they should’ve had the PAC network in the ESPN fold like the ACC and SEC, they should’ve expanded to protect themselves from defections, and booted Larry Scott years ago. Too many late night games that 3/4 of the country didn’t see. They’ll teach college courses on how bad they f’d this up. 

Agree on pretty much all of this. One really important part is that the PAC somehow managed to have no exit fees, making all of their programs free agents. It means that if a comparable conference has a slightly better deal you can jump, but if it is inversed there is little to no incentive to jump. Its part of what put the PAC at risk in the first place and it is a sign of arrogance and negligence, as they figured they couldn't be raided. But even if you think nobody would ever want to leave, you should protect yourself -just in case. Leadership in the PAC failed to do so.

When OU/UT left the B12 they still had to pay enough for it to actually hurt so they would leave a after several years and not within a year or so. The MWCs exit fees blow those of the PAC out of the water and even those of the AAC are higher. Heck even leaving C-USA has a clearer penalty system for leaving the conference than the PAC.

19 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Agree on pretty much all of this. One really important part is that the PAC somehow managed to have no exit fees, making all of their programs free agents. It means that if a comparable conference has a slightly better deal you can jump, but if it is inversed there is little to no incentive to jump. Its part of what put the PAC at risk in the first place and it is a sign of arrogance and negligence, as they figured they couldn't be raided. But even if you think nobody would ever want to leave, you should protect yourself -just in case. Leadership in the PAC failed to do so.

When OU/UT left the B12 they still had to pay enough for it to actually hurt so they would leave an after several years and not within a year or so. The MWCs exit fees blow those of the PAC out of the water and even those of the AAC are higher. Heck even leaving C-USA has a clearer penalty system for leaving the conference than the PAC.

Certainly lousy timing contributed to this. The GoR expiring let the door open to this. Only thing I give the PAC a small pass on is USC/UCLA going to the B1G caught everyone off guard. But if you’re the conference commissioner you have to know those two schools are unhappy. 

This goes against current thinking but I would’ve added BYU and Boise years ago. Two passionate fan bases that travel and are easy trips. Not big markets but I’m watching Boise vs UCLA/USC every time. I don’t care about Arizona vs those schools. Plus it interjects new life into the conference. 

The irony of all this is the Stanford/Cal types and others didn’t want to be associated with those kinds schools. They thought it was about the academics, but it’s about the athletics. Well guess what, the USCs and Ohio States of the world don’t want to be associated with you. And adding BYU and Boise wouldn’t have threatened the teams at the top of the conference. 

Living out West part of me is bummed it’s falling apart but a bigger part thinks they’re getting what they deserved. And when USC and UCLA are going 7-5 in the B1G and spending millions on travel, they’ll all get what they asked for. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Certainly lousy timing contributed to this. The GoR expiring let the door open to this. Only thing I give the PAC a small pass on is USC/UCLA going to the B1G caught everyone off guard. But if you’re the conference commissioner you have to know those two schools are unhappy. 

This goes against current thinking but I would’ve added BYU and Boise years ago. Two passionate fan bases that travel and are easy trips. Not big markets but I’m watching Boise vs UCLA/USC every time. I don’t care about Arizona vs those schools. Plus it interjects new life into the conference. 

The irony of all this is the Stanford/Cal types and others didn’t want to be associated with those kinds schools. They thought it was about the academics, but it’s about the athletics. Well guess what, the USCs and Ohio States of the world don’t want to be associated with you. And adding BYU and Boise wouldn’t have threatened the teams at the top of the conference. 

Living out West part of me is bummed it’s falling apart but a bigger part thinks they’re getting what they deserved. And when USC and UCLA are going 7-5 in the B1G and spending millions on travel, they’ll all get what they asked for. 

The PAC is an Athletic Conference association of schools.  But some ADs and Presidents have been at odds over expansion criteria.  ADs want power programs, like Boise and BYU for scheduling strength and media strength.  School Presidents want Academic fits.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If they all leave, honestly, I see the PAC folding.  What's the attraction at that point?  SMU would be all by their lonesome.

Absolutely. If Arizona leaves the PAC is over, no one is staying and the 4 left over schools go independent (Cal and Stanford) or join the MWC (Washington State, Oregon State). 

11 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Well the big boys in the pac 10 will be looking for new homes.  The new deal is 20 million per school which will be down from 33.6 million per school.  The big 12 pays their schools 38 million a year.   The big 10 pays 54.3 million a school.  You have to think the Oregons, Washington's Arizona and Utah are looking for a new conference.  

Since SMU and SDSU are leading candidates for the jump they will will get more money leaving the AAC so they will be gone as well.  So this about to get real interesting and not a good way for us.  I look for a MWC leftovers and AAC left overs to become one league.   The mwc pays out about 4 million a year. The AAC pays about 7 million a year to its teams.

By the way the ACC pays it member 30.9-37 million per team and the big east 10-14 million per team. CUSA pay out is 400-500k a team.  These numbers are rough estimates.  I checked several sources and the numbers are a bit different on each source.

It is all about the money and we will be one of the teams on the outside looking in. They need to do revenue sharing in college football but we know the big boys wont do that.

So SMU leaves we no longer play them or the old deal still in play?

SMU and SDSU are not going anywhere.

9 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

@ the 10:40 mark we discuss what the PAC 12 future could hold 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0hQor9lTxg

No way the new PAC media deal remotely gets to 25 million much less 30 million per school. They all know the numbers and they’ve known for a while. That’s why Colorado left, they knew it was going to be 20 million with no linear option. The rest are just waiting for official numbers. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, meanrob said:

07cf07e5df332cab662d830a5ff74757_normal.

I did the math on the crappleTV deal for the Pac 12. They would need 32.6 million subscribers to get Big 12 numbers. That's a bit less than 10% of America. That's about how many people are currently subscribed to AppleTV. That's a separate +$20/month subscription. Good luck.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, C Rod said:

It's Twitter so take this with a grain of salt but it appears Brett Yormark and Arizona's president Robert Robbins had dinner tonight in Dallas. 

... and if it turns out that the deal to doom the PAC happened in SMU's backyard... oh the comedy.   

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, C Rod said:

It's Twitter so take this with a grain of salt but it appears Brett Yormark and Arizona's president Robert Robbins had dinner tonight in Dallas. 

The Arizona BOR (same Regents for UA, ASU, and NAU) met at a virtual meeting today, no agenda mentioned.  This was just scheduled yesterday for this afternoon, short 30 minute duration Executive session.   

Again, take with grain of salt, but AZ follower says the BOR Reps have gone "dark"....giving no info about content or subject of meeting

https://saturdayoutwest.com/pac-12/arizona-sets-previously-unscheduled-board-of-regents-meeting-per-report/

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The Arizona BOR (same Regents for UA, ASU, and NAU) met at a virtual meeting today, no agenda mentioned.  This was just scheduled yesterday for this afternoon, short 30 minute duration Executive session.   

Again, take with grain of salt, but AZ follower says the BOR Reps have gone "dark"....giving no info about content or subject of meeting

https://saturdayoutwest.com/pac-12/arizona-sets-previously-unscheduled-board-of-regents-meeting-per-report/

• Upvote 1