Wyoming, North Texas add two games to future football series

meangreen11

6 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

The Wyoming Cowboys and the North Texas Mean Green have added two games to their future football series, according to Wyoming’s 2023 football media guide.

Back in 2017, the two schools announced a home-and-home series that was set to begin during the 2023 season. After an amendment to the contract was made, the series was then slated to begin on Sept. 5, 2026 at War Memorial Stadium in Laramie, Wyo., with the second game slated for Sept. 18, 2027 at Apogee Stadium in Denton, Texas.

Per Wyoming’s media guide, the games in 2026 and 2027 remain as scheduled, but the series will now kickoff at Apogee Stadium on Sept. 21, 2024. Additionally, the Mean Green will visit War Memorial Stadium for the final contest of the four-game series on Sept. 21, 2030.

Wyoming-North Texas Series

• Sept. 21, 2024 – at North Texas
  • Sept. 5, 2026 – at Wyoming
  • Sept. 18, 2027 – at North Texas
  • Sept. 21, 2030 – at Wyoming

Read more:  https://fbschedules.com/wyoming-north-texas-add-two-games-to-future-football-series/

Nice!

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rws69 said:

We should not let the fear of recruiting keep us from scheduling opponents.

I get that but what are we getting out of it?  Seems like Wyoming gets a lot.  They sure will not bring any fans to our stadium.  I feel like we need to get a little more demanding in our expectations.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

56 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I am sort of mixed on this one.  It is good to get a Mountain West team in here, but I think they need us more than we need them.  They will want to come here to recruit DFW and we don't get much in return in my mind other than a D1 win.  Thoughts?

It's 2023. We have smart phones with video calls, email, text, social media, multiple online recruiting platforms and streaming sites for game film. I don't think any school needs any trip for recruiting anymore. Wyoming hasn't played in Texas since 2019 yet this past recruiting class, 9 of their 19 HS recruits in this past class are from Texas. They had 3 or 4 out of 17 in 2022 and 6 out if 10 in 2021 from Texas.

Wyoming has a home-and-home scheduled with Texas Tech starting this year when they host the Red Raiders. They then host UTEP in 2028 to start a home-and-home with them. They don't need our home-and-home for any Texas exposure anyways.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think coaches and recruits still value an in-person chat and handshake.

Other than that, you make some great points about Wyomin

Yes of course. In-home visits are very important. If you're a D1 football coach and you can't find a reason to make it to Texas on a regular basis so you need OOC games to do it, you need to be fired. If you're an athletic director at a D1 program and you can't find it in the budget to get your football coaches to Texas as often as they need then you need to be fired, drop football, drop divisions, or all of the above.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

We are trying to find teams that are winnable, but way ahead of the FCS programs.  Where is your dividing line? I find this Wyoming team to be in the same bubble as what we are getting out of Cal.  A winnable, mid-tier program.  Cal is a power conference school, but I don't know if that is much more important for what we are trying to do.  Mid tier and winnable.

People that gripe about it being Wyoming are the people that are looking for excuses to not support the program.  We can try and cater to that crowd, but you'll find it is really really hard.

Not to mention as @meanJewGreen stated, with us in the AAC plus this type of non con schedule - it’s like a dream for North Texas fans compared to our Big West/SunBelt days. Remember when La Tech would be the “marquee” non conference home game on our schedule?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

I don't get this series at all. Other than it is a game against a similar opponent.

Very tought travel to watch a team few care about on either side.

Surely NT is capable of getting better home and away series with closer g5 teams.   

A four game series with Wyoming appears to me, ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 9

6 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I get that but what are we getting out of it?  Seems like Wyoming gets a lot.  They sure will not bring any fans to our stadium.  I feel like we need to get a little more demanding in our expectations.

...  and somewhere a poster on the Wyoming message board named "Uncle Oliver" is posting "North Texas sure will not bring any fans to our stadium.  I feel like we need to get a little more demanding in our expectations".

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't get this series at all. Other than it is a game against a similar opponent.

Very tought travel to watch a team few care about on either side.

Surely NT is capable of getting better home and away series with closer g5 teams.   

A four game series with Wyoming appears to me, ridiculous. 

Have you seen our schedule the last 30 years?  We seldom have a team with the name recognition of Wyoming visiting Denton.  I know that’s a sad statement, but it’s the truth.

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Have you seen our schedule the last 30 years?  We seldom have a team with the name recognition of Wyoming visiting Denton.  I know that’s a sad statement, but it’s the truth.

So your response is that Wyoming's great name recognition makes this a great series.  Only 900 miles away and a .500 club over the last 3 years.  

Name recognition?

• Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

So your response is that Wyoming's great name recognition makes this a great series.  Only 900 miles away and a .500 club over the last 3 years.  

Name recognition?

Please re-read my response.  I didn’t say Wyoming had great name recognition, only that it’s better than most other OOC opponents who have visited Denton in the past 30 years.  I also ended by saying it was a sad but true statement.  That being said, Wyoming moves the needle more on a national level than North Texas.  If for no other reason than one of the best QB’s in the NFL played there a few years ago.

I also never said it was a great series, but I certainly think we’ve done much worse over the last 30 years.  Like it or not, Wyoming is a peer institution (though they would probably disagree).

I’m already typing so I may as well address the “.500 club over the last 3 years.”  This kind of proves the point that they’re a peer institution, even though their .500 record has been achieved playing in a better conference.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Name recognition?

Sorry, Alabama, who is just clamoring to do a home and  home with us, was busy on these dates.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I am sort of mixed on this one.  It is good to get a Mountain West team in here, but I think they need us more than we need them.  They will want to come here to recruit DFW and we don't get much in return in my mind other than a D1 win.  Thoughts?

We were desperate for a home OOC game next year (due to realignment taking away Memphis and SMU from the OOC schedule) with very few teams still with available dates next year.  The return trip is pushed out to 2030, very convenient for us.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry, Alabama, who is just clamoring to do a home and  home with us, was busy on these dates.

Really, I would go for that series.

I assume you realize that there are a great number of schools that are not perennial powers that are closer and would bring as many fans as Wyoming to Denton.  A few examples, Ark St, ULL, La Tech, WKU, Tx St, Incardent Word, ULM, New Mexico, New Mexico St, UTEP, etc.  Not to mention that I would predict less than NT 500 fans would make the trip to Wyoming. 

I would go for a home and away series with Wyoming, but scheduling 4 games series is a bit much.  I assume that there is a problem getting oc games or neither team would want a 4 game series.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2