Is UNT Changing Their Scheduling Philosophy?

Under Wren it seemed like UNT was set on playing OOC schedules consisting of one P5 (home&home series), two G5's (home&away series), & buying a home game against an FCS program. But looking at our future OOC schedules that philosophy seems to be changing. Beginning around 2027 or 28, UNT is only scheduling 1 away game per season, no FCS games, and has no more than 3 OOC games scheduled for any season.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/north-texas/

Is UNT expecting the AAC to move to a 3 OOC game structure in '27 or '28? Or is UNT expecting to be in a different conference that only plays 3 OOC games a year? Are you happy that the FCS games seem to be going away? 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

The FCS does not help the power rankings which become more important with a 12 game playoff.  How sad would it be to miss the 12th spot because you bought a win against Texas Southern?

We’re in the best G5 conference. Beating an FCS school isn’t going to hurt our chances as long as we win the AAC. 

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

We need to drop the annual FCS games.  They only weaken our schedule.   Use them only as filler if needed on an emergency basis, like when Cal cancelled on us so they could add Notre Dame.  

Otherwise, I agree the future schedules look thinner only because we had to drop some scheduled OOC series when they became conference games.  I would still seek more OOC games with MWC teams.   

Some SEC teams are leaning toward dropping G5 games until they see the impact with strength of schedule on the newly expanded playoffs.   If P5s start locking out G5s it could be the start of division separation.  But it will be hard for them to get 7-8 home games every year without G5s as single games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

In a season when we play a money game, keep the FCS games. We need wins. We aren’t going to compete for a national championship any time soon.  Otherwise home- and- home FBS series only. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Part of it is that we had OOC series scheduled against Tulane and Memphis plus seemed to be expecting the annual SMU game as well. With all of those becoming Conference foes that put us back to the drawing board with some OOC games.

Yes, but there is more going on than just replacing the SMU, Tulane, and Memphis games. 

As of now, beginning in 2027, UNT isn't scheduled to play at any G5 programs on the road. That is a major change. Meaning we will be seeing 7 homes games every season. That's what the bigtime programs like Texas, USC, Bama, & Notre Dame do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm guessing we just have yet to fill our OOC schedule for those years.  I wouldn't read a thing into it.  Yet.

And if that is the case, those 4th games would be home games against FCS programs. Which gives us 7 home games a season. That is a big change from what we usually do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

21 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

In a season when we play a money game, keep the FCS games. We need wins. We aren’t going to compete for a national championship any time soon.  Otherwise home- and- home FBS series only. 

UNT Doesn't have any more money games scheduled. All of our P5 games (Texas Tech, Baylor, Missouri, & Colorado) are all home and home series. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT Doesn't have any more money games scheduled. All of our P5 games (Texas Tech, Baylor, Missouri, & Colorado) are all home and home series. 

Wow, just realized that Wisconsin game is off the schedule. Was supposed to be a buy-game in 2025.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Wow, just realized that Wisconsin game is off the schedule. Was supposed to be a buy-game in 2025.

Exactly. Mosley is quietly upgrading to more favorable situations and making UNT's OOC schedules more like those of power programs. 7 homes games. Only home & home series with P5's. No road games at G5 programs. And, maybe no FCS home games weakening our schedule strength. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Exactly. Mosley is quietly upgrading to more favorable situations and making UNT's OOC schedules more like those of power programs. 7 homes games. Only home & home series with P5's. No road games at G5 programs. And, maybe no FCS home games weakening our schedule strength. 

It looks like Wren cancelled the Wisconsin game, per this article from Nov. 1, 2022.    WVU hired Wren Nov. 30, 2022.

"The 2025 Wisconsin-Middle Tennessee contest will mark the first-ever meeting between the two schools on the gridiron.

Wisconsin was previously scheduled to host the North Texas Mean Green on Sept. 6, 2025, but that game has been canceled according to a copy of the mutual termination agreement obtained by FBSchedules.com. No penalty payment is due to either team as a result of the cancellation."

https://fbschedules.com/wisconsin-adds-middle-tennessee-to-2025-football-schedule/#:~:text=Wisconsin will host Middle Tennessee,the copy of the contract.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Just asking, but how many bowl games would we have missed without an FCS win to qualify?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Since the AAC isn't going to be set up on a divisional basis our schedule will vary.  We will play the team nearest (SMU) every year home and away.  From there, I don't believe that it's an established pattern.  It seems that you will play teams that are closer to you a little more often than those further away.  Just guessing, but we will likely play three OOC games each year against FBS opponents with no games against FCS opponents unless it's an emergency (cancellation by scheduled opponent).  Ideally, we should have two OOC home games one year followed by one OOC at home.

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2023 at 5:59 PM, NT80 said:

We need to drop the annual FCS games.  They only weaken our schedule.   Use them only as filler if needed on an emergency basis, like when Cal cancelled on us so they could add Notre Dame.  

I don't understand why this got down votes.  For our program at this time FCS games don't make a lot of sense.  Now that we are in the best conference we've ever been in there are several G5 programs that are decent draws out of conference.  It is all about the product we are selling on game day.  Even the novelty of having a HBCU with a great band doesn't make a lot of sense.  Grambling and PVU are in the Cotton Bowl every year just down the road.  Regional FBS teams we can foster a new rivalry with or enhance an old rivalry with should be the priority.  Also with 3 games OOC it gives us flexibility for conference changes inside the AAC.   I think we should target getting teams the AAC could logically add to the conference in the next decade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

On 7/8/2023 at 6:27 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Yes, but there is more going on than just replacing the SMU, Tulane, and Memphis games. 

As of now, beginning in 2027, UNT isn't scheduled to play at any G5 programs on the road. That is a major change. Meaning we will be seeing 7 homes games every season. That's what the bigtime programs like Texas, USC, Bama, & Notre Dame do. 

We play at Army in 2029. That's a road G5 game.

And what makes you so sure we won't schedule road games as part of a H/H series (especially in '28 and '29) that see us getting a return games in 2031 and beyond? For example, I'd much rather schedule a H/H with Houston that sees us on the road in 2028 and the Cougars coming to Denton in 2031. 

image.png.03d691881334d95a4a076579629d403d.png

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

We play at Army in 2029. That's a road G5 game.

And what makes you so sure we won't schedule road games as part of a H/H series (especially in '28 and '29) that see us getting a return games in 2031 and beyond? For example, I'd much rather schedule a H/H with Houston that sees us on the road in 2028 and the Cougars coming to Denton in 2031. 

image.png.03d691881334d95a4a076579629d403d.png

Army is a special situation. They are a national brand military academy and independent.

I can't see a series with Houston happening like that. Technically, UNT still owes Houston a road game since we didn't play down there during COVID. 

I'd personally prefer it if the AAC went to a 9-game conference schedule, and the '28 & '29 OOC schedules were set.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Side.Show.Joe said:

Army is a special situation. They are a national brand military academy and independent.

I can't see a series with Houston happening like that. Technically, UNT still owes Houston a road game since we didn't play down there during COVID. 

I'd personally prefer it if the AAC went to a 9-game conference schedule, and the '28 & '29 OOC schedules were set.  

Heck it wouldn’t shock me to see Army join the AAC by then.  They seem to want to be back in a conference again.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Okay, it’s still a G5 program. And Houston was just an example. The point is, I’d rather stay at 6 home games and schedule H/Hs with known programs than buy 7th home games with FCS opponents. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1