First Summer Camp of the Morris Era

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I wonder if coaches are re-thinking this, now that transferring is as fluid as it has become.

Agree. Not sure how it works, but I am guessing the extra schools help get more kids there so they can be seen but having Cal there???

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Most camps have multiple schools involved
image.png.3fb4a1db23a460e36692b8e799f711b3.png

Yeah, I've seen that before.  But it just looks wrong as rain on a Sunday picnic seeing Texas Tech's coach at our facility, at a camp funded by our (I assume) dollars, flashing "Guns Up" with a recruit attending our camp.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Yeah, I've seen that before.  But it just looks wrong as rain on a Sunday picnic seeing Texas Tech's coach at our facility, at a camp funded by our (I assume) dollars, flashing "Guns Up" with a recruit attending our camp.

I noticed we have someone at Houston's camp today

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I have zero insight but I'd guess all the schools either chip in and/or share involvement in each other's camps. Helps bolster camp attendance and maybe lay eyes on kids you may not have previously been recruiting. Then you can go out to the other camps and see the local kids who maybe couldn't make it to yours.

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

I wonder if coaches are re-thinking this, now that transferring is as fluid as it has become.

I doubt it. If a player wants to transfer, they're going to do it. It's also a two-way street and gives coaches more control over their roster than before. I'd bet the coaches who have come out complaining about the portal aren't generally as bothered by the transfer process as they claim to be.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I doubt it. If a player wants to transfer, they're going to do it.

If they're going to do it, they're going to go to a place that contacted them.  I don't think it's a reach to imagine a coach visiting one of these camps and getting into the ear of a player they otherwise would not have known about.  Just my 0.02.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

If they're going to do it, they're going to go to a place that contacted them.  I don't think it's a reach to imagine a coach visiting one of these camps and getting into the ear of a player they otherwise would not have known about.  Just my 0.02.

Absolutely. My point was it's happening in both directions. Those coaches come to our camp to meet local kids who couldn't otherwise travel hours away and our coaches go to their camps to meet their local kids who couldn't otherwise make it to Denton. Plus you get kids on campus who, even if they don't come to UNT out of HS may look back at their camp in Denton if they eventually enter the portal. Not like all 600 participants will be committing to UNT out of high school.

I doubt our coaches are running a charity event to help enhance other schools' recruiting. There's a benefit to all parties involved here.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I think it’s brilliant to have coaches from other schools at these camps. If a player thinks the camp is his way to get exposure to a coach from Tech, Ok State or Cal, they still walk through our facilities. Not every kid who wants to go to a Big 12 school is going to get an offer. And guess what… Our  coaches got to show off our facilities and their coaching style to that kid. I’m not worried about transfers at a HS camp.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

You’re worried that a high school kid or two that is not yet committed to North Texas may end up at North Texas, become a good player, and then transfer to a school that attended our camp? What about the players that wouldn’t have even entertained the idea of our camp without the P5 schools being there? My understanding is that the players have to pay to attend these camps.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You’re worried that a high school kid or two that is not yet committed to North Texas may end up at North Texas, become a good player, and then transfer to a school that attended our camp? What about the players that wouldn’t have even entertained the idea of our camp without the P5 schools being there? My understanding is that the players have to pay to attend these camps.

I’m speaking from the perspective of the coaches. My original post was not “why the f are they doing this?” It was “I wonder if the coaches are reconsidering.”

Factoring in the risk is not the same thing as worrying about it.  If the coaches believe the benefit continues to outweigh the risk, even in the face of the portal/NIL era, then they’ll continue doing it.  They have more insight than myself.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I think it’s brilliant to have coaches from other schools at these camps. If a player thinks the camp is his way to get exposure to a coach from Tech, Ok State or Cal, they still walk through our facilities. Not every kid who wants to go to a Big 12 school is going to get an offer. And guess what… Our  coaches got to show off our facilities and their coaching style to that kid. I’m not worried about transfers at a HS camp.

You make a valid point.  +1

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NM Green said:

Welcome to the political side of the business. Hire coaches aka influencers that make them want to bleed Mean Green.

Relationships always win. 

GMG

Agree.  I'm very impressed we had such a great turnout.  I always say...get them on campus to see our facilities and they will take us seriously. 

Fantastic for a program with a new head coach that hasn't even coached here yet.  It shows the work the coaches have been doing on social media, networking with high schools, and using past connections.   

• Upvote 1