Cameron Robertson Commits to SMU

TheReal_jayD

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Because this was the intent of the NIL.  Sorry, but crap like this is ruining collegiate athletics.  These kids are being paid for their name, image and likeness, they are just being paid.  "This close" to saying screw it and just watching high school ball, which probably isn't far behind in some stupid payment scheme as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Who says SMU was paying Siggers anything

14 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Well yeah because we can't afford 50k a player to stay put.  Even the scrubs at SMU are making 40k.  Sat next to a guy at a game in Denton last year who came to see his HS player (he was a coach) playing for SMU and said that the player claimed every athlete at SMU was making at least 40k a year.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

14 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Well yeah because we can't afford 50k a player to stay put.  Even the scrubs at SMU are making 40k.  Sat next to a guy at a game in Denton last year who came to see his HS player (he was a coach) playing for SMU and said that the player claimed every athlete at SMU was making at least 40k a year.

Reminds me of Mel Gibson in Bravehart:

"Young Soldier : William Wallace is seven feet tall!

William Wallace : Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Because this was the intent of the NIL.  Sorry, but crap like this is ruining collegiate athletics.  These kids are being paid for their name, image and likeness, they are just being paid.  "This close" to saying screw it and just watching high school ball, which probably isn't far behind in some stupid payment scheme as well.

Not sure I watched a full P5 vs. P5 game in the past couple of years. Personally, thanks to ESPN+, I have started watching more G5, FCS, and D2 games when North Texas is not playing. I choose to watch the Texas teams in the WAC and Southland and other G5 teams. There are also some good D2 games. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Reminds me of Mel Gibson in Bravehart:

"Young Soldier : William Wallace is seven feet tall!

William Wallace : Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse."

interesting. I've always thought SMU alums were just like Mel Gibson...but from his police stop. 

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/1/2023 at 11:10 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

I think the (probably wrong) perception is that every player at SMU is being paid 35-40K per year

SMU's deal to pay every football and basketball player $36K a year for 2022-23 was publicized everywhere. They were the first school collective to do something like that, though some bigger dogs in P5 followed with much bigger yearly salaries, er, nameimagelikeness-eries.