Breaking: Mesquite Horn OL Davion Hurth Commits to North Texas

3 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Your attitude is similar to why more people get divorced than stay married these days. What is the point of a commitment?

This is either an intellectually dishonest question, or a really naïve one.

Here's the point:  A commitment means you have a paid ride to school, plus NIL$.   If you don't commit to a valid offer, you don't have that guaranteed.   Pretty simple.

People on this message board have absolutely zero skin in the game of Mr. Hurth's monumental decision... yet can't wait to hold him accountable.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, greenjoe said:

So, tell me again what COMMITS means ? 

What is a Facebook "FRIEND"?  Obviously the term isn't limited to true friends, because I would venture to say that very few people have hundreds of true friends, while pretty much everyone on Facebook has hundreds of Facebook "friends."

Similarly, a NCAA verbal "commitment" isn't a commitment in the absolute sense of the term.  As the rules make pretty clear, recruits are free to verbally commit and decommit as often as they have the opportunity and choose to do so.  So maybe they should call them "indications" or "present choices" rather than "commitments," when they are just verbals.  I may not like it when players who verbally "commit" to us are not fully committed, but it will make it easier on us all if we understand that verbal "commitments" are not necessarily absolutely committed (although some may be).

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

One can style this any number of ways.  But a commitment is just that.  A commitment.  Done.  Over.  No do-overs. 

Here’s an example.  I want either eggs or steak for breakfast.  

What’s the difference you ask.

With eggs, the chicken is involved.  

With steak, the cow is committed. 

Do we want chickens or cows ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

One can style this any number of ways.  But a commitment is just that.  A commitment.  Done.  Over.  No do-overs. 

Your issue is with the diction I guess.   Because it's really not difficult to understand the business decision.   

Lock up your best opportunity early so you definitely have it.   If other opportunities come along, you listen, but don't jump unless you're positive it's better. 

Now, for just about every single person on this board... you can't get a better offer than our beloved Alma Mater.   But we need to understand, these youngsters do not have the same affinity for the U of NT like we do.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Now, for just about every single person on this board... you can't get a better offer than our beloved Alma Mater.   

Drama Swat GIF by CBS

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But we need to understand, these youngsters do not have the same affinity for the U of NT like we do.

You Are Dumb Mario Lopez GIF

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Your issue is with the diction I guess.   Because it's really not difficult to understand the business decision.   

Lock up your best opportunity early so you definitely have it.   If other opportunities come along, you listen, but don't jump unless you're positive it's better. 

Now, for just about every single person on this board... you can't get a better offer than our beloved Alma Mater.   But we need to understand, these youngsters do not have the same affinity for the U of NT like we do.

You bring up good points. I will add that the more HS players do this, the more coaches will move towards recruiting transfers. It also makes it much easier to be okay with how Sanders handled things in Colorado (between pulling offers at the end and cutting players). Everybody wants to be all about "business decisions." Well, these decisions work both ways and with no controls in place, it's hard to imagine things getting any better.

10 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I think you mean to say that the chicken is involved, but the cow is committed.  At least, that’s the way Ribby Paultz told it🤣🤣.

Edited by NT93

This kid should be ashamed of himself!

Any other 18 year old would stick to every decision they make.  

None of them would choose a college major and change it, possibly several times, while in school.  

None of them would fall “in love” with a girl/guy and swear that this is the “the one”, only to end up with someone completely different.  

No young adult would ever, given the freedom for the first time to choose the trajectory of their life, have a hard time making that kind of decision.  

I know that the script I wrote for my life while still in high school is EXACTLY the way things have turned out.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The problem is the word commitment. Maybe they should say, “My current choice is …”.

I think the real problem is a bunch of grown ass men agonizing over the slightest whim of teenagers. (I include myself in this, of course, as I suffer the same illness: college sports.)

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/23/2023 at 1:19 PM, greenjoe said:

tom delonge wtf GIF