UNT 2023 1ST scrimmage observations (4/8/23)

NT80

I was at the scrimmage and agree with @SilverEagle's thoughts.

Ruder and Earle were the best two QB's, with Ruder being ahead as of right now.

I have no idea what happened to Gunnell, but he's a statue back there. I would never go so low as to compare a QB to Josh Greer(Gunnell is no doubt miles better) but that is the closest recent Mean Green QB I could think of when I saw him today. Maybe it'll get better, but not a good start at all.

I'm not sold on Rogers, sure he can run, and his O-Line was letting him showcase that by not protecting him well, but his arm didn't impress me much.

On the Defensive side of the ball, these dudes were flying. Looked good at all levels, and really laying the wood on a few hits. I expect the defense to be ahead this early, but still it's an aggressive unit that is gonna make plays.

WR's looked good for the most part, and the run game did well (Adeyi and BK Jackson in particular caught my eye).

Kicking was a bit rough, but we'll see. 

My son decided he was not interested in football so my observations were a bit limited, but energy all around seems good, and I got to meet Coach Morris. Seems real down to earth, definitely excited to see him lead the team.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cooley said:

Take it easy on Gunnells. It was just a practice scrimmage.

Maybe so, but what I am hearing is what I observed in his short time of playing last year, there is something physically wrong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

I agree with everyone else. Ruder and Earle looked the best at QB. Ruder looked the best of all and seemed to have command of the offense and was able to move the offense the best. Rogers strikes me as a guy who has a run first instinct. His arm was mediocre at best. I am not impressed. I see him as 3rd on the depth chart as of right now. Gunnell and Head will need to change positions or they will be transferring because neither looked good in my opinion. The one overall positive that I noticed was the energy level from players to coaches. The energy level was much higher than I remember of SL scrimmages.

• Upvote 3

Offense was alright. Defense was POPPING. Ruder looked good. Other QB's need a bit more work. Run game was solid of course. Defense was TOUGH and flying everywhere. Good coverage and were really pressing the hitstick button. Good energy from the defensive crew for sure.

Did you guys also see WR Dorian Morris come out with an apparent injury? He was wobbling around the sidelines and around the field and sort of isolated himself. He was pretty upset and had a bag of ice taped to his hamstring so let's hope it isn't too serious.

Edited by Jdawg48
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I'm curious, people keep saying that our lines look big. Do we mean big for us or compared to schools like UH whose lines used to dwarf ours? Also, is Rogers looking early like a Jason Bean with a run first mentality? 

Definitely feels like they're bigger. I don't know if Rogers is run first per se, but the O-Line was getting blown up when he was in, so he kinda had to make something happen.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Coach Andy Mac changed the title to UNT 2023 1ST scrimmage observations (4/8/23)