SPRING BALL - Updates and Twitter links

El Paso Eagle

Man I was hoping the complete lack of any access to practice would change with a new coach. Is this really an AD policy? Because we're gonna get a whole lot of nothin over the next couple weeks, same with fall practice. There's people on this forum with more sources than our beat writer of 20+ years and the 247 coverage has dropped off considerably since Brune left. I realize we have more people on staff to create content but damn I was hoping to have a little more insight in to what's going on with the football program going forward, that's unfortunate.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4

13 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Man I was hoping the complete lack of any access to practice would change with a new coach. Is this really an AD policy? Because we're gonna get a whole lot of nothin over the next couple weeks, same with fall practice. There's people on this forum with more sources than our beat writer of 20+ years and the 247 coverage has dropped off considerably since Brune left. I realize we have more people on staff to create content but damn I was hoping to have a little more insight in to what's going on with the football program going forward, that's unfortunate.

almost 30 years now of football fandom for me, and my experience has been that you're gonna get Spring coverage about 50% of the time.  Some coaches don't mind it.  Some do.

Just off the top of my head, though.  That number could be off.  I just remember a lot of no-coverage.

• Upvote 1

• El Paso Eagle changed the title to SPRING BALL - Updates and Twitter links

Caught some practice from a distance today because I’m now craving football. It looks a bit different than last year in many ways, but I think our fans and players should be excited… 

There is an open scrimmage next Saturday, I’ll definitely be at that and have the ability to observe things.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Caught some practice from a distance today because I’m now craving football. It looks a bit different than last year in many ways, but I think our fans and players should be excited… 

There is an open scrimmage next Saturday, I’ll definitely be at that and have the ability to observe things.

And you will share your observations?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

What time?

• Upvote 2

On 4/1/2023 at 11:48 AM, 97and03 said:

I am concerned about that. I am pretty sure the rules require the WR to have to stop or backtrack to constitute a legal catch. I am worried we are going to get a penalty in games if we teach this illegal play in practice!

If it's not at the wrs feet is it a legal pass?

• Upvote 1

It's not that it's a total lockout this year.  We have gotten a little film and some sparse comments but the coaching staff is putting in a new system, offense and defense, so any distractions should be held to an absolute minimum.  Bret may not be allowed at the practice, I don't know, but he has been allowed to interview a coach (Cobbs) and a player (Nwaiwu).  It seems that they had a little difficulty with the new stuff early but things are getting better by the practice and the players are liking it.  Somehow, I feel that in spite of losing some very good players who had eligibility left, we will be better than last year and we haven't had the fall enrollers yet and I believe that three or four of them could be starters or immediate backups.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GrayEagle said:

It's not that it's a total lockout this year.  We have gotten a little film and some sparse comments but the coaching staff is putting in a new system, offense and defense, so any distractions should be held to an absolute minimum.  Bret may not be allowed at the practice, I don't know, but he has been allowed to interview a coach (Cobbs) and a player (Nwaiwu).  It seems that they had a little difficulty with the new stuff early but things are getting better by the practice and the players are liking it.  Somehow, I feel that in spite of losing some very good players who had eligibility left, we will be better than last year and we haven't had the fall enrollers yet and I believe that three or four of them could be starters or immediate backups.

Seems like the football team is better than the national government at keeping secrets and limiting information getting out.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Media schedule this week: 

THURSDAY (4/6)

Approx. 9-9:30 am – Open Practice Window (Lovelace and McNatt Families Practice Facility)

Approx. 10:45 am – Head coach Eric Morris and selected players available to speak to the media(Lovelace and McNatt Families Practice Facility)

• Upvote 4