Your Nationally Ranked Mean Green Softball Team Just Dominated Georgia Tech

FirefightnRick

NT Softball beat UConn, Ga Tech, St. Francis and Illinois-Chicago in this tourney.  Outscored opponents 26-3.   

Texas has great softball (and baseball) programs in the high schools and club teams to recruit from.

NT needs a Baseball program this time of year also...

UNT Baseball on Twitter: "2014-15 UNT Club Baseball team!  http://t.co/8pCFDEx8hj" / Twitter

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 10
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

13 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Thrilled we have a ranked team. But Damm this makes me want baseball so bad... I may make the trip up to denton to see this team, they've been Damm good for a while, getting the attention they deserve now

A financially successful softball team is going to be the ticket to us getting baseball back. It will show that the demand is there.

• Upvote 6

And speaking of baseball, come listen to Danny Suges Wednesday at Rudy’s.  7:00am at the Denton Breakfast Kiwanis meeting.  Breakfast is on the Kiwanis Club.  I hope to see Mean Green Baseball backers Wednesday morning.  You’ll be done by 8:00.  GMG

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

And speaking of baseball, come listen to Danny Suges Wednesday at Rudy’s.  7:00am at the Denton Breakfast Kiwanis meeting.  Breakfast is on the Kiwanis Club.  I hope to see Mean Green Basevall backers Wednesday morning.  You’ll be done by 8:00.  GMG

This in good to hear.  I would really enjoy fielding a baseball team again.  I think we could be very good very quickly.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Looking to make it out to the North Texas Invitational at the end of the month against Northwestern State and Wichita State. Plus I know we have Senior Day for men's basketball the first Saturday in March, but it's also a good opportunity to visit Fayetteville and root against the softball girls against the likes of Arkansas, Iowa State...

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

Hopefully they find their way back in the top 25. For some reason, they were 24 in pre-season rankings but are no longer ranked. Louisiana Lafayette has occupied the #24 spot since the season started. Anybody know when the next rankings come out?

Edit: looks like it's different rankings. D1Softball ranked North Texas as 24 in their preseason poll. The other polls had North Texas outside the top 25. Screw em.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Hopefully they find their way back in the top 25. For some reason, they were 24 in pre-season rankings but are no longer ranked. Louisiana Lafayette has occupied the #24 spot since the season started. Anybody know when the next rankings come out?

Edit: looks like it's different rankings. D1Softball ranked North Texas as 24 in their preseason poll. The other polls had North Texas outside the top 25. Screw em.

Is there a poll that is the standard bearer? I would guess its the USA Today Coaches Poll, but I'm no softball expert. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Is there a poll that is the standard bearer? I would guess its the USA Today Coaches Poll, but I'm no softball expert. 

The one that ranks UNT in the top 25 is the best. 

Honestly I have no idea. Never followed softball until I started watching some North Texas games on ESPN+.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

On 2/13/2023 at 10:50 AM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Good question, and I’m no softball expert but I’ll try to answer as best I can.

NCAA encompasses/recognizes 5 different ranking systems but keeps their own RPI ranking active up front on their Softball link. And I’m guessing since the season is so early there’s not been enough games yet to rank by RPI so last year’s season (as I type this) is still available.  Here are the five ranking systems.

ESPN.com/USA Softball

D1softball.com 

USA Today/NFCA Coaches

Softball America

NCAA Women's Softball RPI

Since softball overall as a sport is  year round and not just played during the NCAA’s designated period of the spring the NCAA defer’s to an organization that dedicates to rear round following, that being D1Softball.com for their preseason ranking,…and that’s who had us at #24 for the preseason.  Here’s the NCAA’s own link to that preseason ranking.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/article/2023-01-17/2023-college-softball-rankings-preseason-top-25-d1-softball

As of yesterday D1 now has us ranked at #22..

No idea when the first RPI poll will begin but I’m sure it’s gonna be soon. ESPN and USA Today/Coaches polls currently  have us as the third team in “Others Receiving Votes” after the first week of competition.  Softball America does not have us ranked yet.  

Either way I hope we keep DeLong here for a great duration of his career because like McCasland the man is a very special talent and has placed us on an athletic map the majority of the country can only dream of.  He’s done extraordinary things so far and the sky is the limit.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Even more impressive is that this team only has three seniors on the roster.  Ashley Peters, ace of the pitching staff, Saleen Donohoe, part-time contributor and back-up catcher Karina Falkstrom.  This group will be strong for a couple of years.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Good question, and I’m no softball esprit but I’ll try to answer as best I can.

NCAA encompasses/recognizes 5 different ranking systems but keeps their own RPI ranking active up front on their Softball link. And I’m guessing since the season is so early there’s not been enough games yet to rank by RPI so last year’s season (as I type this) is still available.  Here are the five ranking systems.

ESPN.com/USA Softball

D1softball.com 

USA Today/NFCA Coaches

Softball America

NCAA Women's Softball RPI

Since softball overall as a sport is  year round and not just played during the NCAA’s designated period of the spring the NCAA defer’s to an organization that dedicates to rear round following, that being D1Softball.com for their preseason ranking,…and that’s who had us at #24 for the preseason.  Here’s the NCAA’s own link to that preseason ranking.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/article/2023-01-17/2023-college-softball-rankings-preseason-top-25-d1-softball

As of yesterday D1 now has us ranked at #22..

No idea when the first RPI poll will begin but I’m sure it’s gonna be soon. ESPN and USA Today/Coaches polls currently  have us as the third team in “Others Receiving Votes” after the first week of competition.  Softball America does not have us ranked yet.  

Either way I hope we keep DeLong here for a great duration of his career because like McCasland the man is a very special talent and has placed us on an athletic map the majority of the country can only dream of.  He’s done extraordinary things so far and the sky is the limit.

Rick

The team just posted this. Seems like these are the four polls they follow. I presume NR means "Not Ranked"....and I guess RV means "Receiving Votes".....not sure. 

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 4