SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

5 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

$22 million is not enough to run the program?  How much do they get today?  How much do we get?  🙄  I’m pretty sure they can run the programs.  

I think you missed the point.  SMU would delude that $22 million per team unless they would forfeit a share until they get Dallas market viewing numbers justify an extra 22 million added to the contract.  No media partner is paying SMU 20 million let alone 22 million.  No one on this board has PAC 12’s national championship viability in their top 10 of sports concerns.  🙄😂.  This was said way earlier in this comment section but people high off pony manure couldn’t accept it.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think you missed the point.  SMU would delude that $22 million per team unless they would forfeit a share until they get Dallas market viewing numbers justify an extra 22 million added to the contract.  No media partner is paying SMU 20 million let alone 22 million.  No one on this board has PAC 12’s national championship viability in their top 10 of sports concerns.  🙄😂.  This was said way earlier in this comment section but people high off pony manure couldn’t accept it.  

It would not surprise me to se SMU paying to get into the league.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1

On 3/5/2023 at 8:48 AM, Wag Tag said:

I could easily the new PAC  SMU, Memphis and Tulane for adds.

That is a diminished PAC 12/14.  Travel cost for all those adds would be horrible.  SMU might have it a little easier with a major airport hub here.  Also you have to take the perspective of the 2 most valuable programs left.  Why would Oregon & Washington want incur the travel cost and share revenue with any of these schools?  Only SMU offers access to one of the richest recruiting areas in the country.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

On 3/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, Mike Jackson said:

The point I'm making is that it is hard to believe anything those guys say after proclaiming that these PAC schools can't run their programs with $22M/school when that would be more than they currently get (~$250M/12).  Yes, they are falling further behind the other 4 power conferences.  No, they are not going broke anytime soon.

What is interesting is that the PAC already has offered membership to smu and SDSU.  Whatever numbers they are negotiating absolutely have to be negotiated knowing that they are/will be members soon.  Whether or not smu and sdsu warrant $20M each is beside the point.  The collective of schools still there are likely still driving the numbers.  SDSU and smu benefit by association.  Maybe they agreed to take less money, but those details haven't been made public as far as I know.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

What is interesting is that the PAC already has offered membership to smu and SDSU. 

That definitely isn’t official.  Because the math doesn’t work unless one their media partners want to throw money in for those 2 schools.  Also with it being a 5 year deal most likely it doesn’t give the media partner much incentive to build In renegotiating the payout based on better than expected rating before the contract ends.  

Also no one was suggesting that these programs couldn’t run off of 22 million.   But survival isn’t the goal of programs like Oregon & Washington.   Ask yourself this.  Why would AD at most valuable programs want to be in a position of not having enough money to give themselves and employees competitive annual raises?  Leaving 10 million on the table just to keep the name Pac and going on the road a thousand miles to play SMU is not a good investment.  Without adding a P5 school or add a G5 that performs exponentially better expected the PAC won’t be a P5 conference by the end of the 5 year GOR.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

That is a diminished PAC 12/14.  Travel cost for all those adds would be horrible.  SMU might have it a little easier with a major airport hub here.  Also you have to take the perspective of the 2 most valuable programs left.  Why would Oregon & Washington want incur the travel cost and share revenue with any of these schools?  Only SMU offers access to one of the richest recruiting areas in the country.  

If they loose the 4 corner schools, this would give them some teams for SMU plus more central time zone schools. They would also be higher rated programs than the one left over in the MWC.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

59 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Part of it is SMU, but this has also been a catch-all for realignment and what's going on with the Pac12, as well as scenarios for the Big12, MWC, AAC and Big10. 

Agree.  Just change the title to "Realignment Rumors".  It all potentially affects the AAC and us too.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Can we give SMU their own forum.  It can have a name like Dog and Pony Show, My little Pony, Mustang Sally or pony express.  If they go they go who cares.  

IF they do leave for the Pac 12 are home and away games gone?  

Dawg and Pony Show is the name for our new rivalry with Washington 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 2

I’ve recently seen rumors that Oregon is on board with staying in the PAC12 because they want to make appearances in the playoff and that will be easier to do in a watered-down PAC12. This makes sense to me as exposure from being in the playoff likely counterbalances an increase in conference media revenue. 

I’ve also recently seen rumors that Colorado State and Tulane are being considered alongside SDSU and SMU as additions. This is interesting because many want Colorado State / Air Force in the AAC. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I’ve recently seen rumors that Oregon is on board with staying in the PAC12 because they want to make appearances in the playoff and that will be easier to do in a watered-down PAC12. This makes sense to me as exposure from being in the playoff likely counterbalances an increase in conference media revenue. 

The difference in BIG10 media $ and potential PAC12 media $ would be about $20-30M per year, not counting other revenue from being in an elite conference and hosting BIG10 opponents in all sports.  Probably upwards of $50M a year difference.   

That’s why Florida St and Clemson are considering legal action against the ACC and willing to lose $100-150M in legal fees to join the SEC. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve also recently seen rumors that Colorado State and Tulane are being considered alongside SDSU and SMU as additions. This is interesting because many want Colorado State / Air Force in the AAC. 

If CSU is being considered you'd think CU is on the way out. Why would they want to double up on the Colorado market? 

• Upvote 4

There seems to be two views here:

1) Get yourself in a conference that is weak as possible, so that one singular team can carry the torch into national prominence/contention, OR...

2) Surround yourself by the highest level of competition you can, join/match their efforts, and hope that it elevates your own play as well as any external (IE, media) perceptions of you (and your conference)

I happen to think option #1 is an extremely risky model to pursue.  That the ones who do it are outliers, teams that enjoy a combination of unique circumstances and/or luck.  The rest of the time, when people pursue this, the media piles on the poor perceptions, you get lumped in with those pile-ons, and then spend all your effort failing to climb out of that situation.

• Upvote 1