SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

4 hours ago, DentonStang said:

It's already been refuted as inaccurate, but even if it were true, Ion is on everyone's cable or satellite.  If ESPN took the to few games and Ion carried the rest, that's massively more coverage than their PAC-12 network arrangement today and better linear TV coverage than B12.  

enjoy your blueblood reruns after your 11 pm kick

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

Thanks for the articles, it is starting to clear things up.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Announcement around the 15th, is what's being said now.

Former Pac-12 coaches concerned about league's future amid ongoing issues: 'They're teetering on the brink'

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/former-pac-12-coaches-concerned-about-leagues-future-amid-ongoing-issues-theyre-teetering-on-the-brink/

Edited by NT80

16 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

lol.  Its going to be fun revisiting this thread from time to time.

Most of our fans, seem to be hoping you guy's don't get in a P5 or the PAC-12 in this case, but, the way SMU has been recruiting and investing in facilities, I'm hoping you do move on. Much easier path to the championship for UNT, if SMU moves to the PAC-12.

Edited by dodgefan
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

3 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Most of our fans, seem to be hoping you guy's don't get in a P5 or the PAC-12 in this case, but, the way SMU has been recruiting and investing in facilities, I'm hoping you do move on. Much easier path to the championship for UNT, if SMU moves to the PAC-12.

There seems to be two views here:

1) (Yours) Get yourself in a conference that is weak as possible, so that one singular team can carry the torch into national prominence/contention, OR...

2) Surround yourself by the highest level of competition you can, join/match their efforts, and hope that it elevates your own play as well as any external (IE, media) perceptions of you (and your conference)

I happen to think option #1 is an extremely risky model to pursue.  That the ones who do it are outliers, teams that enjoy a combination of unique circumstances and/or luck.  The rest of the time, when people pursue this, the media piles on the poor perceptions, you get lumped in with those pile-ons, and then spend all your effort failing to climb out of that situation.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, NT80 said:

UTA is in the WAC this year.  Smut could join UTA as travel partner!

I doubt SMU will wind up in the WAC. It's more probable that they will end up in the Mountain West, but I guess the WAC may be possible, especially if they need to cancel football.