Embarrasing showing by TCU

5 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'd love to get embarrassed in THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. 

when your program highlights are a New Orleans Bowl victory, stopping Rice on 8 goal-line plays and still holding a grudge for a bad call in '88, maybe some perspective is needed before throwing stones. 

I don't know man. You just named memorable wins for ole U of NT. Not sure I'd want to be a part of the worst loss in post-season history. We already sort of claim the worst loss of regular season history. I didn't like that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Tcu beat Michigan by 6 with the help of 2 pick 6s and Michigan's offense gaffing off twice inside of tcus 5 yard line. Much like tcu's season, that game felt flukey. Tcu is not as bad as last nights game suggests. But they are not even a top25 team in terms of talent. It showed. Truthfully, look at their games all season... it showed often. Credit to them for finding ways to win. But I could easily see them .500 next season though. 

I think that's a fair assessment of TCU's season overall although I think they're much better than last night showed. Lots of comeback wins. Let's not forget Georgia was down by 13 to Missouri and trailed most of that game so there were some comebacks/flukes as well when you add in the Ohio State game.

Regarding the Michigan game, TCU was up by 13 late in that game. Michigan trimmed it to 6 with 3 minutes left. And interceptions are part of the game. So are offensive gaffs. Can't fault TCU for that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think that's a fair assessment of TCU's season overall although I think they're much better than last night showed. Lots of comeback wins. Let's not forget Georgia was down by 13 to Missouri and trailed most of that game so there were some comebacks/flukes as well when you add in the Ohio State game.

Regarding the Michigan game, TCU was up by 13 late in that game. Michigan trimmed it to 6 with 3 minutes left. And interceptions are part of the game. So are offensive gaffs. Can't fault TCU for that.

Yes.. but by my count. Tcu had six 1 possession games, four 10 point wins. Not the stuff of champions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 4

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't know man. You just named memorable wins for ole U of NT. Not sure I'd want to be a part of the worst loss in post-season history. We already sort of claim the worst loss of regular season history. I didn't like that. 

2 of the 3 were wins. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Am I the only one that thought the time outs to congratulate players by UGA was kinda unsportsmanlike?

I thought it was a classy way to recognize your seniors. He waited until the play clock was low before calling the timeouts so it isn’t like he was trying to extend the pain, just recognizing the ones who got you there that are moving on.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

48 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yes.. but by my count. Tcu had six 1 possession games, four 10 point wins. Not the stuff of champions. 

Just the stuff of the national championship runner up. 

Terrible showing, but a great season. 

Edited by ftworth
  • Upvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

I'd venture to guess that absolutely no tcu alums/fans are happy with getting to the championship and then getting their doors blown off in epic fashion.  Why does UNT's history come into play here?  If anyone knows what getting kicked in the balls feels like, it's us.  I think if I put myself in their shoes and took that flying missile nut kick that they took last night....it would hurt pretty dang bad.  It made me sick and I didn't really have a dog in the fight other than pulling for them as a "Texas team".  Doesn't change the fact that they had a great season, but that was an absolutely terrible way to end it.  

I think FFR nailed it earlier in the thread.  They absolutely got overwhelmed by the hype and bright lights, initially.  They were out of position, couldn't get off blocks, couldn't make routine tackles.  On offense they left Duggan in the pocket, rather than roll him out, run him, etc and he took an absolute beating for it.  Then they never really adjusted.  It wasn't just the players that played tight.  So did their coaching staff.  Georgia has more talent, coaching and experience and it showed up last night.  I think we all knew that going in.  We just expected TCU to fight back, even if they fell behind.  None of that spirit that they showed in all those come from behind or close wins showed up last night.  It's hard to come back when both of your lines are getting dominated...but I still expected to see more fight.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Ohio State in 2002 had seven one possession games in their undefeated title season.

One was against the same Cincy team we defeated in the New Orleans Bowl (we beat the Bearcats by more). One was against #4 Wisconsin on the road (quality win, no cloud over that one).  They beat #17 Penn State in the Shoe by six in another understandably tight win.  However, they escaped a mediocre Purdue by four and and even worse Illinois team IN OVERTIME.  

That's not even counting winning by 11 at a Northwestern squad that only had three wins.

Obviously the Michigan game being close and their eventual Title game victory can't be held against them.  My point though is that team had a lot of close wins, so I'm not sure one can say winning lots of close ones isn't the stuff of champions.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Ohio State in 2002 had seven one possession games in their undefeated title season.

One was against the same Cincy team we defeated in the New Orleans Bowl (we beat the Bearcats by more),. One was against #4 Wisconsin on the road (quality win, no cloud over that one).  They beat #17 Penn State in the Shoe by six in another understandably tight win.  However, the escaped a mediocre Purdue by four and and even worse Illinois team IN OVERTIME.  

That's not even counting winning by 11 at a Northwestern squad that only had three wins.

Obviously the Michigan game being close and their eventual Title game victory can't be held against them.  My point though is that team had a lot of close wins, so I'm not sure one can say winning lots of close ones isn't the stuff of champions.

Sure, it can be. Usually isn't. 

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I'd venture to guess that absolutely no tcu alums/fans are happy with getting to the championship and then getting their doors blown off in epic fashion.  Why does UNT's history come into play here?  If anyone knows what getting kicked in the balls feels like, it's us.  I think if I put myself in their shoes and took that flying missile nut kick that they took last night....it would hurt pretty dang bad.  It made me sick and I didn't really have a dog in the fight other than pulling for them as a "Texas team".  Doesn't change the fact that they had a great season, but that was an absolutely terrible way to end it.  

I think FFR nailed it earlier in the thread.  They absolutely got overwhelmed by the hype and bright lights, initially.  They were out of position, couldn't get off blocks, couldn't make routine tackles.  On offense they left Duggan in the pocket, rather than roll him out, run him, etc and he took an absolute beating for it.  Then they never really adjusted.  It wasn't just the players that played tight.  So did their coaching staff.  Georgia has more talent, coaching and experience and it showed up last night.  I think we all knew that going in.  We just expected TCU to fight back, even if they fell behind.  None of that spirit that they showed in all those come from behind or close wins showed up last night.  It's hard to come back when both of your lines are getting dominated...but I still expected to see more fight.

Bright lights and the moment are hyperboles. They were overwhelmed by speed and size. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

TCU made it to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP after a 5-7 season

We lose the Frisco Bowl to a 6-6 MAC team.

These are not the same. 

I missed the part were I say NT and TCU were the same. 

Seems I stated the opposite.

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not trying to compare NT to TCU football, because there is no doubt; TCU would beat NT as bad as they got beat by Georg

It was a horror show and truly embarrassing, especially with the context of Sonny taking pot shots at the SEC scheduling.  TCU had the second oldest team in college football this year with an average age of over 23.  They also had some truly miracle comeback wins.  You can't rationalize losing the most lopsided bowl game IN HISTORY ON THE BIGGEST STAGE.  There were people googling TCU for all the wrong reasons last night.  In two years no one outside of Cowtown will remember the great run the Frogs went on to make it the title game but everyone will remember 65-7.  It was a nuclear meltdown.

That is not to take away from what was an unbelievable run but they lost the Big 12 CCG and were utterly humiliated in the NCG.  They'll still recruit well and be a major player in the portal but they'll be replacing a ton of production and depth on both sides of the ball next season.  Funny that they can't even hang a Big 12 Championship banner.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

It was a horror show and truly embarrassing, especially with the context of Sonny taking pot shots at the SEC scheduling.  TCU had the second oldest team in college football this year with an average age of over 23.  They also had some truly miracle comeback wins.  You can't rationalize losing the most lopsided bowl game IN HISTORY ON THE BIGGEST STAGE.  There were people googling TCU for all the wrong reasons last night.  In two years no one outside of Cowtown will remember the great run the Frogs went on to make it the title game but everyone will remember 65-7.  It was a nuclear meltdown.

That is not to take away from what was an unbelievable run but they lost the Big 12 CCG and were utterly humiliated in the NCG.  They'll still recruit well and be a major player in the portal but they'll be replacing a ton of production and depth on both sides of the ball next season.  Funny that they can't even hang a Big 12 Championship banner.  

I like it.  This is exactly how I would describe it if smu had been in the same place.  All the angst and jealousy from a rival is on full display here.  🙂

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I missed the part were I say NT and TCU were the same. 

Seems I stated the opposite.

True, TCU and North Texas are not the same, but, that loss yesterday has essentially terminated hopes that the Big XII will be anything other than a high G-7 conference after Texas and Oklahoma's departure. That loss will be Exhibit A referenced in any future debate regarding comparable leagues.

The yet to be announced Pac defections are going to create the other G-7. 

15 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I like it.  This is exactly how I would describe it if smu had been in the same place.  All the angst and jealousy from a rival is on full display here.  🙂

And you'd be correct.  I'd have done unspeakable things for SMU to be in the position TCU was in this year.  Everything fell their way until well....it didn't in the most humiliating fashion in the history of the sport. 

If you get to the national championship game and lose in the most lopsided outcome in the history of bowl games then you deserve to get drug to the grave.  2022 TCU football will be a great trivia question someday.  Nothing more.  

Edited by SMU2006
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ADLER said:

True, TCU and North Texas are not the same, but, that loss yesterday has essentially terminated hopes that the Big XII will be anything other than a high G-7 conference after Texas and Oklahoma's departure. That loss will be Exhibit A referenced in any future debate regarding comparable leagues.

There won't be any PAC defections when they announce a media rights package w/ AMAZON that exceeds the $/school that the new Big 12 just announced.

5 minutes ago, ADLER said:

They literally just beat the Big 10 champ last weekend.  How does that fact get wiped out by last night?  They got absolutely destroyed.  I get it.  But how do we know that Michigan, or anyone else, would have fared better?

What will truly be used against them are the TV numbers from the game, and tickets sold.  Did they bring fewer butts and eyeballs once the dust settles on the ratings?  I'd love to see what the ratings were in the 1st quarter of this game.  I'd be willing to bet there were a lot watching on TV.  Especially from Texas.

Also, once we go to 12 teams in the playoffs, there will be a higher likelihood that they'll earn one of those spots.  Win games and you keep your reputation high enough to drive rankings.

1 minute ago, TIgreen01 said:

They literally just beat the Big 10 champ last weekend.  How does that fact get wiped out by last night?  They got absolutely destroyed.  I get it.  But how do we know that Michigan, or anyone else, would have fared better?

What will truly be used against them are the TV numbers from the game, and tickets sold.  Did they bring fewer butts and eyeballs once the dust settles on the ratings?  I'd love to see what the ratings were in the 1st quarter of this game.  I'd be willing to bet there were a lot watching on TV.  Especially from Texas.

Also, once we go to 12 teams in the playoffs, there will be a higher likelihood that they'll earn one of those spots.  Win games and you keep your reputation high enough to drive rankings.

No one is going to remember you beat Michigan if you lose the following game by the largest margin in the history of college football bowl games.  Do you remember who the 92 Bills beat in the AFC Championship Game?

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

No one is going to remember you beat Michigan if you lose the following game by the largest margin in the history of college football bowl games.  Do you remember who the 92 Bills beat in the AFC Championship Game?

Yes - 
Buffalo Bills 29 at Miami Dolphins 10 

Just kidding (I Googled it)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

No, I don't, but I remember their comeback against the Oilers.  People remember great games.  That Michigan - TCU game was an all-time great game.  Up there with the Boise - OU Fiesta bowl.  Personally, I'll remember that game over the championship game because I flipped the channel at half-time.  It was never an actual contest.

Obviously, the record books will likely only track the championship game....and that score line will be repeated over and over.  I agree with you there.  Doesn't mean I won't remember that semi-final game more, though...because again, it was one of the most entertaining college football games ever.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

And they have the right to.  Not only was this the worst natty loss, it ended up being the worst loss is bowl history, ever. It's laughable. 

Fans of our program certainly don't.   Both our programs were challenged very significantly in regards to conference realignment.  TCU has the extra excuse of being a small private religiously associated university.  When the SWC/Big 12 told them to kick rocks they kept beating on the door for admittance with investment in their program and winning on the field.   UNT floundered dropped down to FCS, did nothing on that level and since returning to FBS have a losing record against FBS competition.  --- Oh and they have a major bowl win as a G5 program, the first G5 Doak  Walker Award Winner (only 2 all time).  Not to mention finishing in the AP top 25 several years as a G5.  How many has UN--eh let's not go there.    

In my top 10 things I want to see the Mean Green do, beating a TCU team having a good year is probably somewhere between 7-10.  Instead of laughing maybe we need to be doing everything we can to bring in people who were there for the time TCU was rebuilding towards being a competitive P5 team.  

But if hating on TCU gives you more enjoyment than going to UNT games, more power to you.  Just please offer that disclaimer first so I can skip the rest of your comment.  🤷🏻‍♂️

• Eye Roll 1