Breaking: North Texas hires Iowa State Assistant Director of Player Personnel to coach Linebackers

TheReal_jayD

14 hours ago, outoftown said:

I can easily see the recruiting involvement from the CV. But can you explain how he was involved in running that defense? Not trying to be snarky, I would love to see it, but looking at the cv it escapes me. Other than being at ISU at the same time as Caponi I need someone to enlighten me about how his role is involved in running the defense. I don't imagine an assistant director of player personnel breaking down film or teaching the intricacies of tackling, but maybe I am misunderstanding something about the role.

Is it possible that his title at Iowa St was a title only and he spent 90% of his time working on the field. The team can only hire so many LB coaches by title. 

I am betting he wants to be a coach and spent most of his time learning that craft, while doing his titles job. 

who in here does more at work than their title identifies, especially if you are trying to get to the next level 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

From what I am hearing he was very hands on with the defense. From scouting to practice to recruiting. Was the same as a defensive assistant without the title.

This. I think a lot of people underestimate how much "off-the-field" coaches get involved with practices and working with players.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Seems like we are working really hard to justify these coaching hires. That should be a red flag. 

Fairly sure I have not seen one official response from the athletic department trying to justify these hires. The only people question these are those of us here on a board who don't really know enough to make a legitimate call other than our own opinions.

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Fairly sure I have not seen one official response from the athletic department trying to justify these hires. The only people question these are those of us here on a board who don't really know enough to make a legitimate call other than our own opinions.

Hence the “we” in that sentence. I question most of the hires due to their inexperience. I am not qualified to evaluate their coaching abilities so I can only go off their resumes, which in my opinion are way too short and/or lack little direct experience at the position they were chosen for. I think that is a very logical assessment for a fan to make. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

Well, @TheReal_jayD, what does “taking over south Dallas” mean? We aren’t taking kids away from P5 programs that matter— meaning we aren’t going to be competing with the LSU, OU, or Tu’s of the world. So— does that mean multiple high level 3 or even four

But just because you get talent doesn’t mean it works out— the vast inexperience (2GA’s and a position coach) running a 3-3-5 worries me. Recruiting is the name of the game but the goal will be to not coach’em down. 

I hope I’m wrong. And they succeed. 

The goal at first should not to go out and beat LSU, OU and Texas. The goal should be regularly winning battles against SMU, Houston, UTSA and Tulane. Once that happens then you move on to bigger fish. And I honestly believe this staff is the first staff that can go head to head with those guys and compete. Seth has some solid recruiters during his time. Koonz and Biagi and Mayes stick out. But Seth never had a staff full like this too to bottom. 

• Upvote 6

So, I seem to remember a comment that was attributed to people in charge of hiring a new head coach that people with D-II heading coaching experience would not be considered. So our new head coach barely escaped that disqualification by being a head coach of a FCS division I school (University of Incarnate Word). So it seems that there have been no such comparable restrictions placed on Coach Morris regarding the previous actual hands-on coaching experience of his assistants. Being good recruiters seems to be the main criteria.  Someone commented earlier that that would seem to imply that actual coaching experience is not as important as being a good/great recruiter. 

I looked it up. And while Don Carthel was head coach at WTAM (and his son Colby was the DC), he rebuilt their program and there were four players drafted into the NFL. 2 in the 6th round and 2 in the 7th. When Colby was hired to rebuild the TAM-Commerce program he turned them around and they won a national championship in 2017. FWIW, his QB won the D-II version of the Heisman trophy.

Good coaching skills or good recruiting?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The goal at first should not to go out and beat LSU, OU and Texas. The goal should be regularly winning battles against SMU, Houston, UTSA and Tulane. Once that happens then you move on to bigger fish. And I honestly believe this staff is the first staff that can go head to head with those guys and compete. Seth has some solid recruiters during his time. Koonz and Biagi and Mayes stick out. But Seth never had a staff full like this too to bottom. 

This.    So much, this.  

31 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers