I am starting to have strong feelings towards Emmett

Jonnyeagle

2 minutes ago, Old Denton said:

Thankfully Clemson , Miami, Fla St etc. are not on our future schedules.  If only Fuente had some AAC experience...oh wait!

true, unfortunately, we also don't have the brand recognition/winning tradition that VaTech had. I don't fully understand this argument either, it's not like he was competing against those teams with Memphis. he had more than a level playing field

If you want to tell me he's a great recruiter, sure, that's a big selling point. If you want to tell me he's a great football mind, sure, that's a great selling point.

If you want to tell me we should hire him because he had success in our conference 7 years ago, ok, maybe... but it doesn't blow me away.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Old Denton said:

Thankfully Clemson , Miami, Fla St etc. are not on our future schedules.  If only Fuente had some AAC experience...oh wait!

Fuente could be incredible. I don't know if we could get him, but that would be somebody that has proven that he can do it.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's only the WR coach & Pass-game coordinator at Tech.     
Maybe there's a way NT could pay him & give him a promotion to full-time OC.  He's one of us, as an Alum!  He might go for it.

EDIT:   He makes $450k now at Tech.   Offer him $550k and full-time OC!

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

And Jeff Traylor was just a RB coach at Arkansas

I'm becoming more and more intrigued with Jones. Especially after Gabe Brooks' comments on our lack of effort south of I-20.

It's completely inexcusable with the amount of talent that schools like Desoto/SOC/Cedar Hill/Duncanville produce on a yearly basis.

Then offer Patrick Cobbs.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Then offer Patrick Cobbs.

We have an affinity for Pat as Mean Green fans, for sure.   But we cannot allow that loyalty/love affect the overall picture of winning.   

Jones' years in South Dallas would benefit UNT a TON in recruiting.    No doubt Pat knows how to coach-up RBs, but we've had him on staff for 3 years now, and he did not pull a single Denton Ryan or Braswell player from his previous job since he's been here (Do you think Henigan could have helped us???).  Now all of the guys he coached are graduated, so his relationships there are strictly with the coaches.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We have an affinity for Pat as Mean Green fans, for sure.   But we cannot allow that loyalty/love affect the overall picture of winning.   

Jones' years in South Dallas would benefit UNT a TON in recruiting.    No doubt Pat knows how to coach-up RBs, but we've had him on staff for 3 years now, and he did not pull a single Denton Ryan or Braswell player from his previous job since he's been here (Do you think Henigan could have helped us???).  Now all of the guys he coached are graduated, so his relationships there are strictly with the coaches.

Cobbs is more than capable of getting us into the South Dallas high schools.  

I have nothing against Jones, but the only experience difference between him and Cobbs is his connection to SOC.  UNT/Denton is where Cobbs wants to be.  Knowing his character, I would easily assume he would do whatever possible to be successful.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I like where you are going with this but it also seems risky.  We would need to pair him with a very experienced  Wally Rig type of assistant HC to help him along the way.

Assistant Head Coach doesn’t seem to matter. Patrick Cobbs is the assistant head coach and he is not in charge of the bowl game.  I see and get your point, just been dying to point ant out about Patrick.  I’m parcel to Patrick as he painted my house one summer while playing here!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

12 minutes ago, Green Dozer said:

Assistant Head Coach doesn’t seem to matter. Patrick Cobbs is the assistant head coach and he is not in charge of the bowl game.  I see and get your point, just been dying to point ant out about Patrick.  I’m parcel to Patrick as he painted my house one summer while playing here!

Hope he did a better job than that Mellencamp dude that I hired.  He painted it PINK!!!  I just shook my head and said "Ain't that America!".    Not as annoying as that Jagger guy that kept trying to paint my front door.  I told him that I liked it red and did NOT want it painted black.  This is Texas, do you know how hot a black front door gets!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 2

24 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Hope he did a better job than that Mellencamp dude that I hired.  He painted it PINK!!!  I just shook my head and said "Ain't that America!".    Not as annoying as that Jagger guy that kept trying to paint my front door.  I told him that I liked it red and did NOT want it painted black.  This is Texas, do you know how hot a black front door gets!!!

He did a god job.  Painted one of my son’s walls green and it turned out good. He was paired with some backup tight end named Grady I think from Tyler 

3 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Regarding Emmett, these guys seems to feel the same way. It’s a good listen.  Craven has seemed to soften his stance from the initial firing announcement on Sunday.  

Interesting, if true. Wren was the one pushing to keep Seth?

• Puking Eagle 1

14 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It was mentioned on the GMG podcast last night that people would be really excited about the names being mentioned for OC/DC. 

Random to quote you but I did since you mentions the line about the potential quality of the OC/DC…

The reason we have had issues in the past is bringing in inexperienced people for said coaching spots. With that being said, bring in experienced play callers and hope they hit and they get pulled to another gig next year, allowing for another coach such as Emmit to go from WR coach in year 1 for example to OC in year2 or 3. hC/OC/DC need to be experienced in and need to be home runs.

14 hours ago, GMG24 said:

He was the former HC at SOC before taking the WR job at KU.  He's got head coaching experience just not at the collegiate level for whatever that matters to anyone.  

Me personally this is the hire I would make.  He can lead a program, provide the ability to build a young and hungry staff, as well as recruit I20-I30 like UNT has never seen.  

While I get the whole we need to offer him a spot/job title that shows upward movement, we have seen this program have terrible luck with inexperienced coaches. Not saying he isn’t a great coach but when you get in a funk, or a cold streak experience helps you get out of it. I bring this up because some of the best times we had under GH, we were hot or frozen cold. 

I would offer him say something along the lines od WR coach/assistant OC or something. But with that being said, I really hope the next coach looks at areas we have missed out on such as south Dallas and find effective recruiters to go into these places and establish a pipeline

9 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Random to quote you but I did since you mentions the line about the potential quality of the OC/DC…

The reason we have had issues in the past is bringing in inexperienced people for said coaching spots. With that being said, bring in experienced play callers and hope they hit and they get pulled to another gig next year, allowing for another coach such as Emmit to go from WR coach in year 1 for example to OC in year2 or 3. hC/OC/DC need to be experienced in and need to be home runs.

While I get the whole we need to offer him a spot/job title that shows upward movement, we have seen this program have terrible luck with inexperienced coaches. Not saying he isn’t a great coach but when you get in a funk, or a cold streak experience helps you get out of it. I bring this up because some of the best times we had under GH, we were hot or frozen cold. 

I would offer him say something along the lines od WR coach/assistant OC or something. But with that being said, I really hope the next coach looks at areas we have missed out on such as south Dallas and find effective recruiters to go into these places and establish a pipeline

He already has that title at a big 12 school… why would he take it? His career has trended up at every step.  Last I checked Traylor was similar and look what he’s doing.

45 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

He already has that title at a big 12 school… why would he take it? His career has trended up at every step.  Last I checked Traylor was similar and look what he’s doing.

I have no issue with Emmitt, nor do I know all the exact titles coach’s have.. I would love for him to be added to a future staff here. I just have hesitation to add a guy who as far as I know isn’t calling plays, calling the plays our first year in the American, with a new HC/QB, etc. I just remember back to when GH was here and he had not called plays before, and we had streaks that we looked amazing and streaks we couldn’t get back to the line or scrimmage… I’d like to see Emmitt come in and give him whatever title/titles and allow him to open up Dallas to the new staff, and allow for him to develop as a coach and play caller, then in a year or two after we have somewhat stabilized the ship allow him to take over play calling duties.

• Upvote 1