Avoid Fan Letdown

meangreanmick

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Nope—Baker got here in August of 2016

On June 30, 2016:

https://fbschedules.com/north-texas-host-houston-baptist-2020-rhode-island-2021/amp/

Ah, ok, thanks for the link. I was trying to find it... 

Incarnate Word and Liberty are Wren's?  Time is taking my scheduling memory. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, largekfcbucket said:

As a (2nd year fan and) student, I mean no disrespect to long-standing alumni and longtime fans of the program. But I absolutely cannot comprehend why anyone wouldn't mind missing any home game right now. This is possibly the best team in program history in the making. Let's not have a whole thread on here about expanding the stadium if we've got people who don't go out of their way to show up and support the guys. Not saying attendance dictates W/Ls but it certainly helps and we have to earn respect. I'll be out there tailgating at 11 and sticking around for the full game, rain or not. GMG.

None taken.  We need more fans like you.  If I lived closer, I would be there with you, but with my own teenage children and their activities, I have to pick and choose what games I can attend each year.  As they grow up and hopefully attend North Texas, I will be there every game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

If I lived closer, I would be there with you, but with my own teenage children and their activities, I have to pick and choose what games I can attend each year.  

Oh, absolutely. Location is a valid excuse to not make games. I'm talking to those who willingly skip games because of the opponent. I know plenty of classmates/friends who went to the SMU game and have zero interest in returning this weekend. Just frustrating. Either commit to supporting the team or don't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, largekfcbucket said:

As a (2nd year fan and) student, I mean no disrespect to long-standing alumni and longtime fans of the program. But I absolutely cannot comprehend why anyone wouldn't mind missing any home game right now. This is possibly the best team in program history in the making. Let's not have a whole thread on here about expanding the stadium if we've got people who don't go out of their way to show up and support the guys. Not saying attendance dictates W/Ls but it certainly helps and we have to earn respect. I'll be out there tailgating at 11 and sticking around for the full game, rain or not. GMG.

Well said....

To top that off, we have what's turning into a once in a lifetime player to watch in Mason Fine. Who knows what his legacy will be when he's done but we certainly don't want to take it for granted.

After last Saturday, we have 11 more home games to watch him...

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Well said....

To top that off, we have what's turning into a once in a lifetime player to watch in Mason Fine. Who knows what his legacy will be when he's done but we certainly don't want to take it for granted.

After last Saturday, we have 11 more home games to watch him...

I beg to differ.

We have 13 more home games, because the C-USA championship games will be played at Apogee over the next 2 years.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

I'll be there.  We've always said and wanted all we need to do is win and people will want to come regardless....well I agree Incarnate Word isn't all that to brag about but you still have to beat then and play a game on the field.  I'm so used to seeing North Texas starting a season 0-2  by getting our asses handed to us that if we win on Saturday we'll start the season 2-0 and it'll be a super great feeling to me.  Regardless of opponent I always love coming to Denton and attending games and this Saturday will certainly be no different.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

7 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Ah, ok, thanks for the link. I was trying to find it... 

Incarnate Word and Liberty are Wren's?  Time is taking my scheduling memory. 

Nope—both were scheduled as well by RV, well before the scheduling of Houston Baptist and Rhode Island...

Wren has scheduled SFA in the future, which is acceptable, in my opinion, for a FCS opponent. They bring people and our fans will show up to see us play them...

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Nope—both were scheduled as well by RV, well before the scheduling of Houston Baptist and Rhode Island...

Wren has scheduled SFA in the future, which is acceptable, in my opinion, for a FCS opponent. They bring people and our fans will show up to see us play them...

Well, Liberty is his baby at least. That was announced 5/17. It was the Army replacement, which was on Wren's watch too. 

https://fbschedules.com/liberty-north-texas-schedule-football-series-2018-2021/

I definitely don't miss RV though. Do not misunderstand what I am saying. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Wren did the Liberty deal. 

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Yep, he did that deal, but at least when we are playing them, they are FBS. The FCS schools we have played and will play over the next few seasons are all RV's...

Yeah,...I like WB, but that one remains a head-scratcher ununderstandable deal, probably the worst in his whole tenure here. Apart from the dislike, many have for the opponents "school", it was also a miserable failure to extract something from an opponent who needed this game much more than UNT did. If UNT were to have stood pat, it would not have been a huge problem for UNT; yes maybe playing army wouldn't be as much fun for SL and the team as for the fans, but there are definitely worse fates. Liberty however really needed an FBS opponent to come in in 2019. How WB didn't at least extract some few hundred k dollars extra is beyond me. I hope its at least C-USA refs both times.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Yeah,...I like WB, but that one remains a head-scratcher ununderstandable deal, probably the worst in his whole tenure here. Apart from the dislike, many have for the opponents "school", it was also a miserable failure to extract something from an opponent who needed this game much more than UNT did. If UNT were to have stood pat, it would not have been a huge problem for UNT; yes maybe playing army wouldn't be as much fun for SL and the team as for the fans, but there are definitely worse fates. Liberty however really needed an FBS opponent to come in in 2019. How WB didn't at least extract some few hundred k dollars extra is beyond me. I hope its at least C-USA refs both times.

Completely agree—felt like old Baylor AD and current Liberty AD, Ian Mccaw, took Wren to the woodshed on this...