Depth Chart Vs Southern Miss

AustinFromUNT

22 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah if Brooks starts over him I think that's pretty dumb. Seth Littrell says "the tape doesn't lie" all the damn time. I'm curious as to what tape he's looking at.

I am wondering if they don't give them each a series or two and go with the player playing the best.  IMO both starters have done some good stuff this year and both gotten burned badly this year.  It is 100% not focusing on their technique and looking where they aren't suppose to.  With D1 speed, scratch that HS kids, if they look in the wrong spot it is 6 points out there on the island they are on. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, MeanGreen13 said:

Remember that Tuaalo, Young, and English were all over 300 pounds last year and were told to lose weight. Apparently, this is the right size for what we are trying to do on the Dline.

Actually yes. When you're slanting and stunting every down and you don't have quicker linemen, you're gonna get exposed. We may be lighter, but we've been playing run much better this year than last.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

If Brooks stops biting on the double move, then we're in a much better situation.

Honestly, i think Brooks could be moved to the safety position and taken out of the 1v1 scenario.  He was much better in the zone defense and getting in trouble with his eyes while playing man.  Moving him to the free safety position he could keep them eyes in the backfield and help sideline to sideline.  He is long enough to cover ground, tackling may be an issue just throwing it out there for discussion.

14 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Honestly, i think Brooks could be moved to the safety position and taken out of the 1v1 scenario.  He was much better in the zone defense and getting in trouble with his eyes while playing man.  Moving him to the free safety position he could keep them eyes in the backfield and help sideline to sideline.  He is long enough to cover ground, tackling may be an issue just throwing it out there for discussion.

Really our entire defense seems to have problems with man outside Hall/Jenkins. I think Ekeler made them play a lot more zone last year, and they got burned a lot less than this year.

Reffett is almost too aggressive it seems.

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Really our entire defense seems to have problems with man outside Hall/Jenkins. I think Ekeler made them play a lot more zone last year, and they got burned a lot less than this year.

Reffett is almost too aggressive it seems.

Reffett knows his guys' strengths.  He's not going to put them in positions to fail.
He has to trust them to stay home & do their jobs instead of trying to be heroes... otherwise a double move, or pump fake = toast.

Or, Littrell even mentioned in his presser, that IF you're going to jump a route like that, you have to play the back shoulder, so the double move ends up running the receiver into you instead of clean by you.  This was no-doubt drilled into him by coach Brown & coach Reffett.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Reffett knows his guys' strengths.  He's not going to put them in positions to fail.
He has to trust them to stay home & do their jobs instead of trying to be heroes... otherwise a double move, or pump fake = toast.

Or, Littrell even mentioned in his presser, that IF you're going to jump a route like that, you have to play the back shoulder, so the double move ends up running the receiver into you instead of clean by youThis was no-doubt drilled into him by coach Brown & coach Reffett.

Dear God I hope so. Our defense is starting to look extremely suspect. Especially against the pass

28 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Dear God I hope so. Our defense is starting to look extremely suspect. Especially against the pass

I bet, knowing how well Jenkins played last weekend, Reffett/Littrell will have an EXTREMELY SHORT leash for both Brooks and Hall this week.   Bite on a double-move/pump one time when in man (even if the play isn't a huge gain/TD) and you're gone.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The defense will surprise us all with a great game tomorrow.

I like that bold claim.   I hope you're right.

I'll take my bold claim a different direction:   Jeff Wilson knows Ito is the all-conference guy, and has likely had this game (along with ODU) circled to show everyone in this conference that HE's the better/best back in C-USA.   I expect a Jeffrey Wilson explosion.

• Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I bet, knowing how well Jenkins played last weekend, Reffett/Littrell will have an EXTREMELY SHORT leash for both Brooks and Hall this week.   Bite on a double-move/pump one time when in man (even if the play isn't a huge gain/TD) and you're gone.

I hope they consider sending more than a 3 man rush this week too. UAB had too much time to hit those deep routes on our corners last week.