Looking for bright spots

p_phelps

Ok so last night was pretty devastating, especially after the first 8 mins of the game.  That being said I'm going to make so observations and bright spots because I've been exclusively negative since half time of yesterday.

1. Hamilton is a player! A true sophomore, by his Senior yr I could see some lawler type that SMU has.

2. Trevor Moore continues to be great and will be a huge weapon lost next year.

3. We are very young and hopefully this experience to our WR will be invaluable.

4. Nic Smith is a player and will be fine at the position after Wilson leaves ( doesn't matter who runs if there's nowhere to run) sorry I had to go slightly negative about the oline .

Anyone else see some bright spots or building blocks?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Ok so last night was pretty devastating, especially after the first 8 mins of the game.  That being said I'm going to make so observations and bright spots because I've been exclusively negative since half time of yesterday.

1. Hamilton is a player! A true sophomore, by his Senior yr I could see some lawler type that SMU has.

2. Trevor Moore continues to be great and will be a huge weapon lost next year.

3. We are very young and hopefully this experience to our WR will be invaluable.

4. Nic Smith is a player and will be fine at the position after Wilson leaves ( doesn't matter who runs if there's nowhere to run) sorry I had to go slightly negative about the oline .

Anyone else see some bright spots or building blocks?

1. If we scheme correctly (Jesus F'in Christ, Harrell, try a deep ball early even if it isn't completed) and our O-line can keep him from running for his life...two big ifs...Mason is capable of moving this offense.  Despite the opinions of a selct few fools with an agenda...his stat line was not bad last night (higher passer rating than Hicks). One of the picks was a fluke batted ball and the other was him trying to force something on the run

2. Before they were entirely gassed, the defense did a good job against SMU's run game.  The big runs by SMU were in garbage time.  

3. Courtland Sutton isn't suiting up for any of the teams in CUSA.  That guy is a mandatory double team for everyone not named Alabama, USC, Clemson, etc...and he would get his catches against them too if he had a decent QB

4. The flood gates opened up early because of several miscues (or silly "trick" plays against a better coached team).  There is opportunity for cleaning things up and staying competitive deeper into the game.  

These are the "rays of light" in what was, predominantly, a dark night

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

1. If we scheme correctly (Jesus F'in Christ, Harrell, try a deep ball early even if it isn't completed) and our O-line can keep him from running for his life...two big ifs...Mason is capable of moving this offense.  Despite the opinions of a selct few fools with an agenda...his stat line was not bad last night (higher passer rating than Hicks). One of the picks was a fluke batted ball and the other was him trying to force something on the run

2. Before they were entirely gassed, the defense did a good job against SMU's run game.  The big runs by SMU were in garbage time.  

3. Courtland Sutton isn't suiting up for any of the teams in CUSA.  That guy is a mandatory double team for everyone not named Alabama, USC, Clemson, etc...and he would get his catches against them too if he had a decent QB

4. The flood gates opened up early because of several miscues (or silly "trick" plays against a better coached team).  There is opportunity for cleaning things up and staying competitive deeper into the game.  

These are the "rays of light" in what was, predominantly, a dark night

There is no agenda. Fine has proven to be the best QB on this team with his play. I don't think any other QB out performs Fine on the field. But pointing out his spike in QB rating, yardage, and points came on 2nd and 3rd stringers is not agendadized, it's just the truth. Defensive starters started to be filtered out in the 3rd quarter. Hicks last play of the game was at the 15:00 mark of the 4th Q and the score was 47-17. Then, like clock work, their 2nd string QB comes in for a 1 play drive and throws a 72 yd TD strike vs our starters. Then their 3rd string QB played almost the entire 4th Q. Meanwhile, our starters on both sides of the ball remained in the game to patch work the score. 

I cant stand the losing as much as anyone. The reality is that SMU is a year ahead with how long Morris has been with the Ponies. Until this point they

have clearly out recruited us as well. The score was indicative of what should transpire in that situation. It doesnt mean we like it, but they are a bit further down the

rebuilding trail than us. We are young and hopefully will learn from this loss. I hope to see improvements going forward, though. The ponies loss sure

sucks. It will take time to get rid of that feeling.  Lets grow and go get em boys. Go Mean Green

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, djohnnie said:

I cant stand the losing as much as anyone. The reality is that SMU is a year ahead with how long Morris has been with the Ponies. Until this point they

have clearly out recruited us as well. The score was indicative of what should transpire in that situation. It doesnt mean we like it, but they are a bit further down the

rebuilding trail than us. We are young and hopefully will learn from this loss. I hope to see improvements going forward, though. The ponies loss sure

sucks. It will take time to get rid of that feeling.  Lets grow and go get em boys. Go Mean Green

Smu looked much more than a year ahead. AAC play will bring them off of cloud 9, but they looked like a team primed for a national championship run vs us. 

9 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Be  clear there were no bright spots for UNT yesterday during the game. 

The biggest bright spot yesterday was the scenery on SMU's campus

Fine was way better at the deep pass last night, and Guyton/Darden/Lawrence at WR were bright spots.. Muhammad as on defense going up vs Sutton, and his multiple stops. Hall had an INT but did get owned by a RD1 WR, but again he was in the JUCO ranks as a unknown to all of us.

• Upvote 1

opening drive was great.

As BillySee58 said above, the WR group is all young.

Good to see Josh Wheeler back.

Trevor Moore is automatic.

Nice to see a lot of former players in attendance.  I saw Johnny Quinn, John Schellici, Patrick Cobbs, and Derek Thompson just in my area.

Edited by Marty
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Tired of bright spot threads and we're-not-there-yet posts.

Agreed, and our part can be improving on that .2% alumni donor base.. 

You want to see real changes in the AD office, let's change that and it will give WB and SL (whoever) the real tools to improve

33 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Sorry there were no bright spots see score. 

Don't make excuses

Nearly half the points and stats came against subs

NO Bright spots at all

Just because you don't like the results doesn't mean we had 0 bright spots.. stop being a damn drama queen/ child saying 0 came from this game.. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Agreed, and our part can be improving on that .2% alumni donor base.. 

You want to see real changes in the AD office, let's change that and it will give WB and SL (whoever) the real tools to improve

Just because you don't like the results doesn't mean we had 0 bright spots.. 

They could have put 70+ on us yesterday? We looked like a sad FCS program yesterday.  We should be at the very least competitive with SMU, and instead we were a joke.

So NO Bright spots sorry anything else is  just a sad excuse.