Lamar sportswriter: UNT game "should" be cancelled

Harry

2 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I couldn't disagree more. If UNT alums, fans, and city of Denton businesses have money to throw around like that, I would much rather them send those financial resources to the SE Texas region that is going to require a lot of financing to rebuild and rebound from the devastating weather they have dealt with the last week. Spending those resources to ensure a football game happens seems pretty wasteful at this point. If they can get here on their normal budget, then great. Let's play a game. If it requires extra finances, reschedule or cancel.

I am sure this is happening. Amazing selflessness is going on within this state right now, and it's all aimed toward SE Texas. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

From yesterday but this one blew my mind...

Not to undermine what is going on down there or to take away the hardship of any of the difficult situations some people are being put in, BUT people (And News Outlets) will find and take pictures of the most crazy looking detrimental areas and post/report them as a widespread 'common' phenomena. News outlets specifically will drive to the most ugliest, nastiest looking clip they can record in front of and media outlets will play it over and over on a circuit to the genpop thinks it is a common theme amidst an entire area. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

True but playing the game on a Saturday means even more gate and concession $$$. Why intentionally limit your potential attendance.

I'm sure that we would lose some fans, but I'm sure would pick up fans as well if Lamar did come up and we did a ESPN2 game on a Thursday. 

The call in and that would be great for them to get $ to help recover and it would put a lot of light in the situation at Lamar a smaller school in need of help. Not to get away from The situations down there but it would be a big boost in terms of people being aware about UNT/Lamar, Good PR as well which would go likely a long way in the state in terms of making people aware of UNT and how we are viewed (won't be that school with losing history, would be that school that helped Lamar and SE Texas)

• Lovely Take 1

46 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not to undermine what is going on down there or to take away the hardship of any of the difficult situations some people are being put in, BUT people (And News Outlets) will find and take pictures of the most crazy looking detrimental areas and post/report them as a widespread 'common' phenomena. News outlets specifically will drive to the most ugliest, nastiest looking clip they can record in front of and media outlets will play it over and over on a circuit to the genpop thinks it is a common theme amidst an entire area. 

If you want to find the "most crazy looking detrimental areas" in Southeast Texas right now, all you have to do is walk outside. That bad here.

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, DannyShapiro said:

If you want to find the "most crazy looking detrimental areas" in Southeast Texas right now, all you have to do is walk outside. That bad here.

Danny, prayers with all of you in SE Texas.  I lived in Houston previously and really loved the area, much more than I thought I would.  There are a lot of good people down there as evident by how everyone is working together.  You'll have to forgive some of our board members though.  The ignore feature is a good one to us from time to time.  Stay safe and hope this all passes soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I couldn't disagree more. If UNT alums, fans, and city of Denton businesses have money to throw around like that, I would much rather them send those financial resources to the SE Texas region that is going to require a lot of financing to rebuild and rebound from the devastating weather they have dealt with the last week. Spending those resources to ensure a football game happens seems pretty wasteful at this point. If they can get here on their normal budget, then great. Let's play a game. If it requires extra finances, reschedule or cancel.

While I completely agree with the intent, I don't think you are considering the difference between "inkind" support and cash donations. Hotels and restaurants can supply rooms and food locally for very low out of pocket dollars compared to making a cash donation to send to SE Texas. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

But the fact is, that situation IS going on there, and certainly not the only similarly shocking example. The flooding of thousands of homes is a devastation, that apparently is too much for you to imagine. It IS happening though, not a media created spectacle, and yours is one of the most insensitive and witless comments I've seen posted by anyone about it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

45 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

But the fact is, that situation IS going on there, and certainly not the only similarly shocking example. The flooding of thousands of homes is a devastation, that apparently is too much for you to imagine. It IS happening though, not a media created spectacle, and yours is one of the most insensitive and witless comments I've seen posted by anyone about it.

Let me reiterate...

"...Not to undermine what is going on down there or to take away the hardship of any of the difficult situations some people are being put in..." 

Now step away from the ledge. I was referring to the picture Harry posted. Read into context, it helps. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Just heard that there is now an issue with the main water pump for Beaumont, so they have no fresh water.  

Also, check this site out for road flooding/closures:  https://drivetexas.org/#/7/32.340/-99.500?future=false

Lamar may have to get creative in finding a route here. 

City of Beaumont has lost its water supply due to Harvey floodwaters

Transportation may be an issue for them, too.   Today's Ft. Worth Star-Telegram had a story about two local area schools that were sending their football teams - but not their bands or cheerleaders - to games in Oklahoma because so many charter busses were being used to transport refugees in the Gulf Coast area. 

• Lovely Take 1

Having grown up in SE Texas and seeing/watching several of my friends and family work through this tragedy, I am all for the cancellation or rescheduling of the game.  With limited practice time, not mention the added weight of being separated from family and friends who are at home dealing with the after affects, the game should not be played on Saturday.  In fact, I'm disappointed at the UNT athletic department for this even being an issue this late in the game (no pun intended).   Houston and UTSA cancelled, even the NFL cancelled the Cowboys/Texans game on Thursday (will all proceeds going to a relief fund at that).  I understand the need for a tune up game(but also remember Portland State).  I would rather watch UNT play a team that was mentally and physically prepared to play rather than show up for a check because they had to.  Just my thoughts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, fester0754 said:

Having grown up in SE Texas and seeing/watching several of my friends and family work through this tragedy, I am all for the cancellation or rescheduling of the game.  With limited practice time, not mention the added weight of being separated from family and friends who are at home dealing with the after affects, the game should not be played on Saturday.  In fact, I'm disappointed at the UNT athletic department for this even being an issue this late in the game (no pun intended).   Houston and UTSA cancelled, even the NFL cancelled the Cowboys/Texans game on Thursday (will all proceeds going to a relief fund at that).  I understand the need for a tune up game(but also remember Portland State).  I would rather watch UNT play a team that was mentally and physically prepared to play rather than show up for a check because they had to.  Just my thoughts.

I am sure UNT catered to them and offered up reasonable scenarios. It'd be naive for us to think they did not. 

• Upvote 1