Super Pit Banners

emmitt01

There are two banners hanging in the Super Pit that honor a couple of NT legends in Chris Davis and Kenny Lyons (he stood behind the bench helping Benford coach from the stands all night, by the way).  There are some others who I think are long overdue to join them though: 

Josh White

Tristan Thompson

Justin Howerton

Tristan Thompson 

Calvin Watson

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

There are two banners hanging in the Super Pit that honor a couple of NT legends in Chris Davis and Kenny Lyons (he stood behind the bench helping Benford coach from the stands all night, by the way).  There are some others who I think are long overdue to join them though: 

Josh White

Tristan Thompson

Justin Howerton

Tristan Thompson 

Calvin Watson

lol tap the breaks on Justin Howerton

SUMMARY

Career

G

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

-

FT%

eFG%

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

How about Joe Hamilton, the best player I have seen play for the Green.   No one on Emmitt's list comes close.  

Lyons and Davis banners were hung without any fanfare as far as I know.   A big deal was made on Mitchell and Reades banners which occurred way too early. 

A SP banner to me should be a much greater honor than the HOF.  It should be restricted to the very best NT players that were good enough to garner outside accolades.  Frankly, in my view only three men players deserve that honor from the teams I have watched: Lyons, Hamilton.  Davis is a good choice, but I would rate him a little lower.   On the girls side, Mitchell for sure.  Reedes was a good player, but IMO not that level.  

If you are going to consider White, Thompson and Watson; there are a myriad of players that should be considered.   Bobby Iverson, Crest Whitaker, Leroy Winfield, Melvin Davis, Kenneth Williams, Jon Manning, Jessie Ratliff, Tony Worrell, John Horracks, Tony Mitchell, Donnel Hayden, Jim Mudd, John Savage, Fred Hopkins, Rueben Russell, Fred Mitchell, Terry Bailey, Jordan Williams, Pat Hicks, etc.  Going to be crowded rafters.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

How about Joe Hamilton, the best player I have seen play for the Green.   No one on Emmitt's list comes close.  

Lyons and Davis banners were hung without any fanfare as far as I know.   A big deal was made on Mitchell and Reades banners which occurred way too early. 

A SP banner to me should be a much greater honor than the HOF.  It should be restricted to the very best NT players that were good enough to garner outside accolades.  Frankly, in my view only three men players deserve that honor from the teams I have watched: Lyons, Hamilton.  Davis is a good choice, but I would rate him a little lower.   On the girls side, Mitchell for sure.  Reedes was a good player, but IMO not that level.  

If you are going to consider White, Thompson and Watson; there are a myriad of players that should be considered.   Bobby Iverson, Crest Whitaker, Leroy Winfield, Melvin Davis, Kenneth Williams, Jon Manning, Jessie Ratliff, Tony Worrell, John Horracks, Tony Mitchell, Donnel Hayden, Jim Mudd, John Savage, Fred Hopkins, Rueben Russell, Fred Mitchell, Terry Bailey, Jordan Williams, etc.  Going to be crowded rafters.  

I agree...except for John Horrocks.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

If they hang banners printed exactly like the four that are up it does not matter.  Who can read the banners?  Poor lighting and each banner is a graphic nightmare.  Banners should really pop, but they do not.

My favorite banners in the SuperPit were the ones we used to see when we were winning. Like "Put In The White Boys!" when we were rolling and in control in the second half.

Those were the best banners of all.

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

One of my all-time best

I didn't know. A big THANK YOU, SIR! is in order, in addition to the +1 I gave you. One of my best memories of good times in the SuperPit. Hope we can all enjoy that again some day soon.

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If you are going to consider White, Thompson and Watson; there are a myriad of players that should be considered.   Bobby Iverson, Crest Whitaker, Leroy Winfield, Melvin Davis, Kenneth Williams, Jon Manning, Jessie Ratliff, Tony Worrell, John Horracks, Tony Mitchell, Donnel Hayden, Jim Mudd, John Savage, Fred Hopkins, Rueben Russell, Fred Mitchell, Terry Bailey, Jordan Williams, Pat Hicks, etc.  Going to be crowded rafters.  

Agree.  I would also consider naming the court "Bill Blakely Court" to help bring back an entertaining brand of ball. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree...except for John Horrocks.

Actually, Horrocks was drafted in the NBA.  So there is that and he is easily the best 7' footer ever at NT.  Of course there has only been 2 others to my knowledge and hopefully Brice can take that honor away from him.   Horrocks was actually a good player, but you make a good point; he probably is borderline on that list.