Former UNT HC Matt Simon lands at Delaware

Harry

45 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

The Pomona-Pitzer Sage Hens would like a word with you. The UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs would also like to enter the conversation. 

At least you can put an image to them.  You're not gonna convince me that this is the first, most intimidating representation of a Hilltopper you can come up with.

wku.jpg?w=468

• Upvote 5

As I recall, when Simon was here many wanted to play SMwho.  One of the lame reasons for not playing us was a scheduling conflict.  Thus, Simon quipped that we would play them in a Safeway parking lot if Smoo would just name the time.  This is what legends are made of.  One of the problem with legends, for example is we don't have Safeway in this part of the country anymore.  

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

As I recall, when Simon was here many wanted to play SMwho.  One of the lame reasons for not playing us was a scheduling conflict.  Thus, Simon quipped that we would play them in a Safeway parking lot if Smoo would just name the time.  This is what legends are made of.  One of the problem with legends, for example is we don't have Safeway in this part of the country anymore.  

GO MEAN GREEN

There were no more safeways around here when Simon made this comment?

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

How 'bout the Sack N Save parking lot? 

Gotta give him credit for taking a senior-laden team in 1994 and pulling them together to have a good season with an SLC Championship and a playoff appearance.  Showed some hope with a 5-win season in 1996, but it seemed he and Helwig got crossways with each other, from what I recall.  Also, I loved the parking lot comment when he said it...and didn't mind that we didn't have Safeway's anymore!  We all got the point!

18 hours ago, Big E said:

Gotta give him credit for taking a senior-laden team in 1994 and pulling them together to have a good season with an SLC Championship and a playoff appearance.  Showed some hope with a 5-win season in 1996, but it seemed he and Helwig got crossways with each other, from what I recall.  Also, I loved the parking lot comment when he said it...and didn't mind that we didn't have Safeway's anymore!  We all got the point!

Okay now that is why I was so confused.  I thought for sure this quote was much older than 1994 because of the Safeway reference.  That is why it be attributed to Matt Simon did not make sense.  I don't remember Safeways being in this area after I started junior high school, that is when I discovered that UNT played football.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:08 PM, Big E said:

People talk about how bad DD and Dodge had it. trying to compete with a low budget, poor facilities and overall minimal resources.   Nether faced near the challenges that Simon got hit with.   Not sure if Simon was a good or bad coach, but he had very little chance of success with the schedule he played and the support he had.