All-time best UNT FB player you ever witnessed

greenminer

Sorry, I just can't give a single answer to the O.P.'s question.  But I'll throw out a few:

Mitch Maher - The guy just made you feel like you had a chance in every game.

Freshman Jamario - I had been very worried when P.C. went down, but Freshman Jamario ended up being way better than P.C. (no disrespect to P.C.--the guy is a Mean Green legend, and would make my top 10 list of all-time NT players).  That's saying something.

Booger - As others have mentioned, he was a very disruptive player.  After he sacked Chris Simms all those times in that game, Mack Brown was ready to kiss Booger's feet and do penance for failing to offer him.

Brelan - Johnny Quinn and Casey Fitzgerald were amazing, but Brelan could make plays in so many ways.  He was tremendously physical, which is saying something when he was what--5'9", 180 lbs.?

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I think Booger is the only Mean Green player to have had a bobble head made in their likeness.   That's gotta account for something. 

SPC-Photos_S16_UNT125th-Exhibit-119.jpg?

Yes Kennedy is the only bobblegead in a UNT uniform but I'm sure Joe Greene has bobbleheads out there somewhere.

Wow! I am amazed how many posters we have around here that got to see Joe Greene.  I never had that pleasure.

Brelan was special, because of speed and toughness, but he didn't dominate his side of the field like Booger did.  Booger was such a force to be reckoned with, the protection usually had to account for him with 2-3 guys.  The numbers would then play in our favor at nearly every other position.  Booger could still bust through the OL and chase a mobile QB from behind.

Cobbs was my all-time favorite RB.  He had a sense of timing and burst within Dickey's scheme that was special.

wish i could have seen Greene, and I also started watching UNT football my freshman year, 2004, our first year after Booger (A.B.)

I have followed pretty closely since then and would have to give it to Brelan, he had the speed, the quickness and was unbelievably tough for his size. 

Dunbar's game against MTSU in the rain almost gets him there, though

Booger is obviously my choice (see profile pic).   It appears I'm not alone!
He was insanely fast/shifty for a dude his size, and if he got by his double-team, no QB was going to get away from him, and most RBs were not going to get around him either, unless they strung it out all the way to the boundary (which, by that time, Buckles was on his way way to meet them).

Some others:
Lance Dunbar
Brelan Chancellor
Craig Robertson
Zach Orr

And for "most-underrated player", give me Kevin Galbreath.  The guy was sandwiched between Ja'Quay & Pat, so he's often forgotten, but his 2 seasons here were extremely productive.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And for "most-underrated player", give me Kevin Galbreath.  The guy was sandwiched between Ja'Quay & Pat, so he's often forgotten, but his 2 seasons here were extremely productive.

So true, although I would label him the "Most Under-Appreciated Player" instead.  Great back.

• Upvote 2

This is tough. 

QB - Vizza with a tip of the hat to Hall

RB - Freshman Jamario

WR - Quinn

OL - I loved The Badger. 

DL - Booger

LB - Cody Spencer with a tip of the hat to Robinson, Kassell, and Orr.

CB - it might have been from this year. Lots of guys but no one standing out from the rest.

Safety - Craig Jones/Laramie Lee

Returner - Brelan

Kicker - Keith Chapman

Punter - Toby Gowin although I have enjoyed Keena the most.

The Best of the best was Booger.

As my GMG handle implies, I graduated in 1969. I saw all home games plus three road games for Joe Greene. Only five losses (3 to Memphis, one to Arkansas by 2 points, and one to Tulsa) over three seasons (66-67-68) were recorded by NT. 

For the teams I watched, including last ten years as a season ticket holder, Joe Greene is tops in my book. Must also mention Hardman, Ramsey, Shanklin, Love, Orr, Chancellor, and Dunbar.

• Upvote 1

First game I watched was vs Illinois State in 1996.  

Best overall player I have seen in my time is Booger Kennedy.  Absolutely wrecked everyone.  

Position by position offense:

• QB: Scott Hall
  • RB: Jamario Thomas
  • WR: Johnny Quinn
  • TE: Brian Waters
  • C: Andy Brewster
  • G:  Have to think, maybe Turney or Y'Barbo?
  • T: Nick Zuniga 

Defense:

• DE: Adrian Awasom and Darrell Daniels
  • DT: Besides Booger, Mike Pruitt was greatness.
  • LB:  So many to choose from, Zach Orr or Cody Spencer
  • CB: Don McGee
  • S: The Bash Brothers: Craig Jones and Jonas Buckles, and Marcus Trice 

Special Teams:

• P: Toby Gowin
  • K: Nick Bazaldua
  • Returner: Brelan Chancellor, nudges out Ja'Mel Branch