MGB: Recruiting tidbits on slots available in 17, et cetera

Brett Vito

Just now, Harry said:

Wish he could specify the blue shirts.  Wonder if Raveyon is on that list?

These are the guys who came into play after signing day:

Jalen Thomas, Anthony Wyche, Eric Jenkins, Mylam Peters, Devin O'Hara, Quinetin Jackson, and Demonte Hood.

That is 7 guys who committed/signed after signing day and were here in time for fall camp. So it seems we had 2 spots left in the 2016 class to count these guys, and the remaining 5 needed to utilize the blueshirt tactic and be pushed forward to the 2017 class.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Jalen Thomas, Anthony Wyche, Eric Jenkins, Mylam Peters, Devin O'Hara, Quinetin Jackson, and Demonte Hood.

That is 7 guys who committed/signed after signing day and were here in time for fall camp. So it seems we had 2 spots left in the 2016 class to count these guys, and the remaining 5 needed to utilize the blueshirt tactic and be pushed forward to the 2017 class.

This may explain why it has been quiet lately.  We don't have that many spots and we need to be very careful on how we use each one. 

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

With Hood being a grad-transfer I thought he would just count for 2016 class? Also I'm assuming Johnson and Haynes never making it to campus, would those 2 openings be the 2 your talking about? 

12 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

With Hood being a grad-transfer I thought he would just count for 2016 class? Also I'm assuming Johnson and Haynes never making it to campus, would those 2 openings be the 2 your talking about? 

Grad transfers are no different from high school or JUCO players from a perspective of being able to blueshirt. He came in very late. If we were out of 2016 spots then he had to have either blue shirted or walked on, and it sounds like he didn't walk on.

As far as Hayes and Johnson, those could be the 2 spots that opened late for the 2016 class. Or maybe there already were 2 spots. I've never found a definitive answer on if the spots of signees who don't qualify open up if they don't make it in.

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Also, by my count we have 15 on board for this class. There are 13 listed commits on 247, but that does not include Pahinui and Isadore.

So not sure if Vito is saying Pahinui and Isadore have taken up 2 of the 5 spots already used in the class, or if we actually only have 5 spots left this class.

I believe Isadore is a Blueshirt (candidate).

10 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

So we got one season out of Hood, now we have to go 3 seasons without being able to replace his scholarship?

But if we had used Hood's scholarship on a high school player then we could have gotten four seasons of production out of that scholarship slot?

No. You have a scholarship max of 85 and a max of signees per class of 25. There are some things you can do to move around spaces between classes. The 85 scholarship max is a firmer cap(occasional exceptions can be granted but then you have to reduce a future scholarship).

Hood took a spot in a singing class ('16 or '17) and a scholarship. His 'ship will be available to someone else next season, but we have to count him in a singing class.

51 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

No. You have a scholarship max of 85 and a max of signees per class of 25. There are some things you can do to move around spaces between classes. The 85 scholarship max is a firmer cap(occasional exceptions can be granted but then you have to reduce a future scholarship).

Hood took a spot in a singing class ('16 or '17) and a scholarship. His 'ship will be available to someone else next season, but we have to count him in a singing class.

Yeah, but aren't we WAY under the limit of 85? So Hood's scholarship (1 of the 25 we get every year if we are under 85) could have been given to a kid who could have contributed for four years instead of just one. 

We get 25 new ships in 2017 and if Hood's ship had gone to a HS kid that kid would still be eligible (unlike Hood) and would be one more player who would help us get closer to the max of 85. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen

Just now, untcampbell said:

We REALLY needed Hood for the one he gave us. And he contributed!

A freshman might have contributed in that spot, but probably not much in 2016. That was a big hole Hood filled.

GMG

Hood was awesome. Loved watching him play. 

But it seems like giving scholarships to guys like him is the type of short term thinking that will leave you with 40 returning scholarship players (like we have).

Kinda like how Jerry Jones used to use money from next year's salary cap to pay players this season. It is hard to pay for bread that is already eaten.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Yeah, but aren't we WAY under the limit of 85? So Hood's scholarship (1 of the 25 we get every year) could have been given to a kid who could have contributed for four years instead of just one. 

By my count we were at 69 on scholarship come the day of the bowl game. With 16 scholarship seniors, we're at 53 with apparently 20 spots left (5 going to guys already on the roster). That means if no one leaves, we don't add any blueshirts next fall, and we sign a full class, we're looking at 73 max next year with about 20 projected scholarship seniors.

Meanwhile we only have a combined 32 scholarship sophomores and freshmen, who will be juniors, sophomores, and redshirt freshmen next year. I think Littrell realized the grade imbalance and is choosing to ease up on the JUCO/grad transfer guys, unless they're at the right spot like QB.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Yeah, but aren't we WAY under the limit of 85? So Hood's scholarship (1 of the 25 we get every year if we are under 85) could have been given to a kid who could have contributed for four years instead of just one. 

We get 25 new ships in 2017 and if Hood's ship had gone to a HS kid that kid would still be eligible (unlike Hood) and would be one more player who would help us get closer to the max of 85. 

Yeah, we were/are in a tough spot. Not enough numbers and Hood was at a big position of need. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

I would count him in an opera singing class but others might put him in jazz.

5 hours ago, untcampbell said:

That was a big hole Hood filled.

GMG

?

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Grad transfers are no different from high school or JUCO players from a perspective of being able to blueshirt. He came in very late. If we were out of 2016 spots then he had to have either blue shirted or walked on, and it sounds like he didn't walk on.

As far as Hayes and Johnson, those could be the 2 spots that opened late for the 2016 class. Or maybe there already were 2 spots. I've never found a definitive answer on if the spots of signees who don't qualify open up if they don't make it in.

Thanks for the info about the grad transfers.

I thought basically they would slot into whatever class year-wise that they committed to their original school without impact on the 2016 or 2017 class. Then after they completed their 1 year usually they would just fall off the books

• Upvote 1