Attendance

oldguystudent

39 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

The club was actually pretty crowded, but homecoming is a different animal.  Lots of visiting VIPs up there, and it becomes a place to see and be seen.  Lots of people never went out to their seats.  Like lots of them. 

Ah yes, the feeling of having to feel important. 

• Downvote 14

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

For the first time ever I though attendance was actually under counted.  

Agree.
Looking around, it definitely seemed closer to 23-24k.   The student side was pretty packed.  LATech brought some fans.  There were more folks than usual up in the wing.  And my section, which is usually spotty when attendance is around 19k, had way more people than usual,including a couple recent players a couple of rows up who were comical in their assessment of the game.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Felt that way too.  I wasn't there and we never saw the alumni side on TV, but the place looked packed except for the upper corners of the student side and the upper portions of the wing zone.  I assume the corners of the alumni side were open too.  There's never a time when everybody is in their seats so take that into account as well.  There are always people milling around, buying concessions, etc.  Maybe we don't sit close enough to each other, but I'm not sure you squeeze another 9,000+ into the empty spaces.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

I am having a really evil thought. Probably no truth to it. But could it be that the old AD sometimes had attendance numbers artifically increased to have the school and himself look good, while the new AD has no interest to have attendance numbers look better than they are in his first season, as that would raise the bar for later on?

• Upvote 4

On November 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Christopher Walker said:

Our glaring area of concern was the Season tickets and Club side. 

I will agree with you on the "season tickets", but not on the "Club".  Why?  Well, from visuals of the outside of the Club area it often appears under-attended.  But, and this is what I do not care much about regarding the Club area, many folks stay inside a good portion of every game!  That bothers me because by doing so our crowd appears smaller than it is and crowd noise is lessened.  Yes, many of us do make a decent amount of noise within the Club area.  I got a "look" or two this Saturday.

But, one could say, Club seat holders have paid the freight to enjoy the game any way and in any location they please, so I guess we all might as well get used to it looking like the Club area is not filling up, when, in fact, it fills very well for the majority of games.

Now, about those season ticket sales...work to be done, but I am thinking this new regime has their sights set on increasing our season ticket sales big time...in fact, there is a senior level department admin referring to himself as "Chirf Revenue Officer" working on any area that involves revenue...including season ticket sales and Club Seat/Suite sales.

Winning will help......

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, keith said:

Felt that way too.  I wasn't there and we never saw the alumni side on TV, but the place looked packed except for the upper corners of the student side and the upper portions of the wing zone.  I assume the corners of the alumni side were open too.  There's never a time when everybody is in their seats so take that into account as well.  There are always people milling around, buying concessions, etc.  Maybe we don't sit close enough to each other, but I'm not sure you squeeze another 9,000+ into the empty spaces.

Alumni side was sparsely populated as compared to the student side. Maybe 50-55% full.

On November 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Christopher Walker said:

Our glaring area of concern was the Season tickets and Club side.

There are many locals who bought club seats that are not alums. I have a friend that is an OU grad who pays for club seats and buys season tickets each year. He attends about one game a year because he is usually following OU in person or by TV. I appreciate his support and don't begrudge his team preference.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

Ahh yes.  The inevitable, "blame the alumni" post for still having the passion to show up, despite seeing years of bad football.  Sorry it's not up to your standards, yet.

To be clear, I'm not assigning any blame. I'm saying when you objectively look around the stadium that day, that's where the glaring holes were.

No need for the Jimmies to have been rustled™.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Now, about those season ticket sales...work to be done, but I am thinking this new regime has their sights set on increasing our season ticket sales big time...in fact, there is a senior level department admin referring to himself as "Chirf Revenue Officer" working on any area that involves revenue...including season ticket sales and Club Seat/Suite sales.

Winning will help......

Hail to the Chirf

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

The club was actually pretty crowded, but homecoming is a different animal.  Lots of visiting VIPs up there, and it becomes a place to see and be seen.  Lots of people never went out to their seats.  Like lots of them. 

well hopefully alot of them were impressed with the first half and wrote a nice check for us to keep these coaches around.. and to give them some more coin to help improve the recruitment of the players or development of players..

I think student attendance might have been under counted. About 10 minutes prior to kickoff there was one of the longer lines I recall at the gate on the student side. The AD staff was handing out paper vouchers to quickly get students into the game prior to kickoff. Kudos to the staff for recognizing the importance of getting the students in quickly even if it skewed the official attendance. I overheard two very high level members of the AD talking about how one of their staff members did a good job of getting the students in quickly.

• Upvote 2

When 1/3 of stadium is empty for homecoming it just shows that we have work to do. Winning cures a lot of ills, but not necessarily attendance.[refer to 2013] . I am hopeful that moving forward our A.D. will have more promotions, we will win more games, and generate new fans. We have a core of about 15,000 who support the program annually. We just need to figure out how to double that figure.I expect this to be accomplished in the next 5 years, as at 73 I am running out of time , money, and patience.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/8/2016 at 8:14 PM, wardly said:

When 1/3 of stadium is empty for homecoming it just shows that we have work to do. Winning cures a lot of ills, but not necessarily attendance.[refer to 2013] . I am hopeful that moving forward our A.D. will have more promotions, we will win more games, and generate new fans. We have a core of about 15,000 who support the program annually. We just need to figure out how to double that figure.I expect this to be accomplished in the next 5 years, as at 73 I am running out of time , money, and patience.

Many of us, wardly, are running out of time.  Health concerns can be problems for some of us at our age. (Type 2 diabetes kept me home last Saturday).

Yet, I don't get it (& never have) why we seem to stay at the same base of fans.  The below numbers suggests we should sell out Apogee Stadium every game.

U of North Texas & Some Demographics:

City of Denton:   Approximately 115,000

Denton County: 780,612 (as of 2015)

UNT Fall Enrollment:  Approx. 38,000

DFW UNT Alums:  230,000 plus North Texas Exes according to campus figures 

We all hope Wren can come up with a solution to this problem. 

Of course, having a few winning seasons in a row & an occasional OOC Top 50 P-5 "name school" opponent could do wonders.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1