GREEN...GREEN...GREEN

greenjoe

I'm a fan of North Texas wearing green and/or white.  And only green and/or white.

This weekend at West Point, I was pleased to see our Cheerleaders.  I didn't notice them until after halftime, but if they were there sooner, I just didn't notice.  But when I did finally see them, they were wearing black warm up suits with pink hair ribbons.  Black warm up suits.  I've got no problem with the warm up suit part.  It was cold and rainy and windy.  My issue is that most of the people at Michie Stadium that were not in the Armed Service were wearing black.  So without any green showing, it was hard  to know who these pretty young women were cheering for. 

Why not GREEN warm up suits ? 

Now, skip ahead to this week's game against UTSA.  I see from another post that UTSA is planning a "Black Out."  Good for them.  I hope they're successful.  But if our band (if they travel), and our Cheerleaders, and our fans show up in black, we'll all look like UTSA fans. 

Green is a somewhat unique color.  Most colleges use red, or blue, or black, or some combination thereof.  We need to embrace our green color and show it off.  Not white.  Not Black.  And not pink (is there somebody out there that isn't aware of breast cancer ?). 

You're on your own this weekend.  I can't go to San Antonio.  The team needs you to be present, to be on time,  and to wear GREEN.  That way, nobody will wonder who you're cheering for. 

Singing Glory to the Green

Singing Glory to the White

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 4

Don't understand this preoccupation with black.  For some unknown reason it is the color of choice among players everywhere.   Saw were all but one of NT' men bb players preferred the black uniforms.   

Black used to be a statement, think Dickey.   Now, it is overused with nearly ever team having a black uniform no matter what their colors are.  

Put the Green back into the Mean Green.    

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I will be in green, and I was told the band is going.

UPDATE: Assuming my tickets arrive on time. When I called this afternoon, I learned not all had been sent yet; and they could not tell me if my had or not. Hope to hear in the morning.

Edited by rws69
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RushnStudies said:

I love the green helmets.

I'm a purist when it comes to school colors, too. Green and white.

To me the green helmet with white SOW is our helmet.  Everything else in an alternate. Not saying its necessarily my favorite, just that its the helmet I think of when I think of UNT.

I don't mind a "blackout" uniform once a year (honestly those are probably my favorite look), but in general I agree that we should stick with green and white with black as an accent color.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, UNT 04 said:

SOW is the newest eagle logo that we have

IMG_1250.GIF

To further explain...SOW stands for Son Of Worm; the (Flying) Worm being the old stylized eagle initiated during the Hayden Fry era of the early 70s.  

GrandGreen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rws69 said:

I will be in green, and I was told the band is going.

The Green Brigade is indeed going to San Antonio as they did the last time a game was played in the 'dome.

They rehearsed today in full dress.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 6

18 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I'm a fan of North Texas wearing green and/or white.  And only green and/or white.

This weekend at West Point, I was pleased to see our Cheerleaders.  I didn't notice them until after halftime, but if they were there sooner, I just didn't notice.  But when I did finally see them, they were wearing black warm up suits with pink hair ribbons.  Black warm up suits.  I've got no problem with the warm up suit part.  It was cold and rainy and windy.  My issue is that most of the people at Michie Stadium that were not in the Armed Service were wearing black.  So without any green showing, it was hard  to know who these pretty young women were cheering for. 

Why not GREEN warm up suits ? 

I was most perplexed and disturbed by the pink panties of awareness the cheerleaders wore during our two October home games.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

The Green Brigade is indeed going to San Antonio as they did the last time a game was played in the 'dome.

They rehearsed today in full dress.

The entire band?  That would be awesome - did some donor pay for the buses?  When I talked to Nick at the Rice game, he said that they had brought about 80 (still larger than the MOB), and would bring about the same to UTSA.

Green warm ups are possible, but as mentioned by @greenjoe our green is a unique color. There's a chance green warm-ups cost a little more compared to the black warm-ups. Given that the Cheerleaders receive some money but not enough.

To be honest, I just don't understand why people get all up in the trees over our school using the color black.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Green warm ups are possible, but as mentioned by @greenjoe our green is a unique color. There's a chance green warm-ups cost a little more compared to the black warm-ups. Given that the Cheerleaders receive some money but not enough.

To be honest, I just don't understand why people get all up in the trees over our school using the color black.

This is probably due to the apparel deal with Nike as much as anything. 

Thumbs up to wearing green.  Green shows up on TV.  It shows up in the other team's stadium.  It shows up when you're walking around Times Square, the Riverwalk, wherever.  If you have a white, black or gray Mean Green shirt, put it with your other mowing or oil changing shirts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Well, against Army, who's main color is black, it doesn't make any sense.  To us old farts, we like our traditional colors, green and white.  Every team has some variation of black now so that you have no idea who they represent until you see their logo.  TCU is a good example of a team that has sold out for the all black look and barely uses their unique purple.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Every team has some variation of black now so that you have no idea who they represent until you see their logo.  TCU is a good example of a team that has sold out for the all black look and barely uses their unique purple.

I personally like traditional school colors. I like that Alabama, Texas, OU and Ohio state all have set uniforms that haven't changed in years if not decades. But 17-18-year-olds like the variety of Oregon, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and others. I've noticed many of the schools send tweets of their planned uniforms before the games and you should check out the number of hearts and retweets those generate. More and more schools are adopting the variable uniform look because their recruits WANT that. It's been posted multiple times "How many uniform variations do you have?" is one of the most common question by recruits. 

This actually isn't new. Back in the late 70s/early 80s SMU had the triple stripe on the legs of their uniforms. Coaches at other SWC schools commented on how silly and stupid it looks while PLAYERS from those schools all commented on how much they liked it. 

I think NT is uniquely suited to have a multiple uniform set. Since Hayden Fry arrived it seems every new AD (and several of the football coaches) have come in and changed the shade of green we use. When I look at the Mean Green shirts in my closet, it looks like one of those paint swatches from Sherwin-Williams. Why not make a virtue out of our vice and just embrace multiple looks? Our stands are going to be filled with lots of variations no matter what the "official" colors are. Let's go with what the recruits and students want.  

• Upvote 2