Bowl prediction

mgfan

I think it is too early and we have a lot of season ahead of us, but here you go....

Popeyes Bahamas Bowl

Thomas Robinson Stadium, Nassau, Bahamas
Dec. 23, 1 p.m. (ESPN)

Schlabach: Louisiana Tech vs. Tulsa
McMurphy: North Texas vs. Connecticut

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl

Cotton Bowl Stadium, Dallas
Dec. 27, noon (ESPN)

Schlabach: Minnesota vs. North Texas
McMurphy: Northwestern vs. Louisiana Tech

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 3

Not the first time this season we've shown up on the list.  Honestly, with as up-and-down as the performance has been thus far this year with our remaining opponents, we could reasonably end up anywhere from 4-8 and 9-3.  And I don't think the Bahamas Bowl is a terrible idea overall, but they have to figure out a better way to market it and probably try to get some more regional teams.  It's nice for the players and staff and any fans who can get there, but try to use teams from the Carolinas or Georgia or Florida whenever possible.  I'm hoping for the Gildan New Mexico Bowl...or of course one in AZ, just because it's an easy drive for me and not insanely far for the rest of you...but HOD would be awesome as well and if the next couple of months are as lucrative as I hope they will be, I could hop out for a visit for that one.  But really...any bowl in Seth's first year would be so nice.

• Upvote 1

I don't care who we are playing. My ultimate wish would be us playing again in the HoD Bowl again. The local hype and support would be fantastic for local recruiting. The 2013 HoD Bowl was amazing and I'm confident we would be able to continue this momentum under the fantastic leadership of our President, AD, Littrell and coaching staff. 

Not to mention what this staff will be able to do with recruiting!!

Exciting times in #NewDenton #UNTouchable

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Please, please no to the bahamas bowl. They need to flush that bowl down the toilet. Or at least relocate it. If we get Minnesota (or any big10 school this time) at the HOD I will geek out. 3 more to go!! 

Actually 4 more to go because FCS games don't count.

• Downvote 9

2 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Actually you can count one FCS win every other year. That said I think we need to be 7-5 to be invited to a bowl. 

It all depends on how many teams make it to 6 wins. If i am not mistaken, in the past they struggled to find enough teams and that was part of yhe reason we didn't play a big 10 school in 2013 HOD. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Actually you can count one FCS win every other year. That said I think we need to be 7-5 to be invited to a bowl. 

The every other year thing is also gone.  It's one win per year now.  See Emmitt's link, page 6.

We get to 6-6, we'll go bowling.  They started making rules for 5-7 teams to go based on APR because there are so many freaking bowls now that they're struggling to find enough eligible teams to fill them.

With 41 total games including the College Football National Championship, 80 teams will play in a postseason game in 2016-17, which is 63% of the FBS.

There is almost a mathematical certainty that teams with 5-7 records will go bowling this year. 

• Upvote 1

IF we do make it to a bowl game, and I still have to say IF. Because we are only halfway there.. I get that people are a little more picky for the HOD bowl, and I would buy tickets to fly down there and attend that game in Dallas in a heart beat. But at this point, idc if we go to a bowl game in the Arctic circle. I just want to go bowling like 2013 again!

• Upvote 1

Honest question and I don't want to be negative BUT, IF we beat Army and UTSA which can realistically happen if we play like we did against Marshall, and we go into the final month of the season 5-3 but we end up losing all remaining games which can also realistically happen (Aaron Jones can take over a game and anything can happen on any given Saturday), do we end the season in disappointment that we got so close and just couldn't finish it or in optimism that we were 1-11 a year ago? What's the sentiment following a season like that considering the previous campaign? I would feel so giddy and excited heading into the final month that I would have to feel a bit disappointed that we couldn't get that one final win.Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Honest question and I don't want to be negative BUT, IF we beat Army and UTSA which can realistically happen if we play like we did against Marshall, and we go into the final month of the season 5-3 but we end up losing all remaining games which can also realistically happen (Aaron Jones can take over a game and anything can happen on any given Saturday), do we end the season in disappointment that we got so close and just couldn't finish it or in optimism that we were 1-11 a year ago? What's the sentiment following a season like that considering the previous campaign? I would feel so giddy and excited heading into the final month that I would have to feel a bit disappointed that we couldn't get that one final win.Thoughts?

If we lose to UTEP with 5 wins that is a disappointment. No other way I could look at it. 

Though as long as this team remains competitive on the back half of the schedule this is a significant improvement from last year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

At this point, there's no denying that ANYTHING is just gravy for this team. Any win, bowls, losses, whatever. We already exceeded expectation, so we already succeeded.

Let's succeed some more!