Mason Fine

ABrownGMG

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He also looked dazed and watched as the pocket collapsed on him for 2-straight sacks to end the final posession.    Everyone needs to chill on crowning Fine right now.  Let Littrell do that.  
In the meantime, we need to hope Morris is being coached hard this week to better understand the offense (timing-wise, check-wise, otherwise) because he did not do enough to lose the starting job.

This is accurate. 2nd possession he was a little weary. This is still Morris' team, but Fine still needs reps now that his RS is off. Even if it's in there to throw screens and hand the ball off. Those are invaluable reps in game speed that practice will never serve up. 

• Upvote 1

All the speculation on every subject imaginable (and from all eras of North Texas Exes)  sho' do make me glad they still have to play the game.:Yes: 

Mason Fine looks like the real deal to me, but I'm just a Monday Morning QB novice.  

See some of yall this Saturday at amazing Apogee Stadium !   

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Maybe not, I assumed he had running scout team. Either way, he has at least seen SEC defenses attacking live for the last four years. He knows the speed and mass involved.

With an SEC offensive line.

Morris or Fine will get hit out there, no doubt. It's just a matter of hope right now that neither get hurt. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

True, but how do you know Mr. Fine has not already encountered the freak of nature that you described at Florida whilst playing in the Oklahoma HS football system. And the only thing he needs to adjust is how fast he ducks when the aforementioned freak of nature launches himself at him.  SMU is not a good measure for the speed and size of Florida, but I noticed that Mr. Fine managed to stay out of harms way on that TD drive that he engineered. In fact he outran some defenders whilst racing to the sidelines on one occasion. 

I'm not saying that he should be inserted into the starting job this soon, but from what I've seen of him, he adjusts pretty fast. And he's more durable than most people assume.

Because freaks like this are rare, CeCe was one of the highest rated recruits in the country.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/171346/cece-jefferson

9 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Because freaks like this are rare, CeCe was one of the highest rated recruits in the country.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/171346/cece-jefferson

Please!!

There are at least 3-5 guys who are bigger/faster/stronger freaks than Cece Jefferson playing Oklahoma 3A football.

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Because of my own fears, I want Morris to start at least through the Florida game. He knows what it's like to get drilled by an SEC front 7 and I don't want to tempt fate by rolling Fine out there against a SEC defense with their ears pinned back.

Anytime you roll Fine out to any defense you are tempting fate because of his size.  We learned that with Riley Dodge, who was injured both here and at McNeese State.  Yes, Florida's front seven will be bigger and faster than any in the C-USA, but any front seven is going to be big with Fine.

And, here's how that discussion will go:  "Littrell should have redshirted Fine to let him bulk up for a year instead of throwing him out there during a rebuilding year to get injured."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Anytime you roll Fine out to any defense you are tempting fate because of his size.  We learned that with Riley Dodge, who was injured both here and at McNeese State.  Yes, Florida's front seven will be bigger and faster than any in the C-USA, but any front seven is going to be big with Fine.

And, here's how that discussion will go:  "Littrell should have redshirted Fine to let him bulk up for a year instead of throwing him out there during a rebuilding year to get injured."

Coach loves Fine!!! Who was the last UNT Qb to play as a true freshman and how did that work? With Alec we saw the best Qb we have seen in years even with the picks! My arm is worn out from First Down! I think the coach is going slow with him strictly because his size and strength! ( not ht) Get into the 4 - 5th game then make the call! Watch Fines play on the crossing catch. He is back with feet set in a nano second! This will serve him well on staying healthy! Gmg 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Coach loves Fine!!! Who was the last UNT Qb to play as a true freshman and how did that work? With Alec we saw the best Qb we have seen in years even with the picks! My arm is worn out from First Down! I think the coach is going slow with him strictly because his size and strength! ( not ht) Get into the 4 - 5th game then make the call! GMG 

McNulty

Maybe put the cap on the anointing oil for another week or so.  As the NJ con man said, you are what you are.  Fine should get several more series between now an the Rice game but I am not sold on moving him into the starting role in the next few games unless Morris really struggles.  Take away Morris's 1st 4 passes and he was not horrible.

Not sure what to expect Saturday.  I doubt it will be 50/50, but Littrell sure does seem pretty smitten with Fine.  SL needs to be careful as to not alienate Morris.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NewNTfan said:

I am very familiar with Fine's career at Locust Grove.  He is very fast, scrambles to buy himself time, runs as a last resort, almost always slides or runs out of bounds (usually after a first down), depending on his location on the field.  I have seen him jump, dive, whatever it takes for a first down when desperate though.  I have seen lots of guys have him in their grasp and he seems to get away.  I don't know of him ever missing any game time with an injury.  I have seen him take some tough hits and jump up like it is nothing.  He commands the field and his leadership is outstanding.

This was definitely on display pre-snap.   Certainly an intangible that apparently comes naturally to him.    He still needs a little more seasoning at this level.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He also looked dazed and watched as the pocket collapsed on him for 2-straight sacks to end the final posession.    Everyone needs to chill on crowning Fine right now.  Let Littrell do that.  
In the meantime, we need to hope Morris is being coached hard this week to better understand the offense (timing-wise, check-wise, otherwise) because he did not do enough to lose the starting job.

Good post.

Rick

I have no problem with giving Fine some serious playing time after the Florida game. going into that game as a true freshman and without much time learning our offense would not be good. It would be unnbelievably rare for him to not only escape injury that game, but for him to play well. 

Remember the hurting UNT (a good CUSA team at the time) put on UTEP's true freshman QB in 2013? that was in front of 25K and facing a decent pass rush... not the crazy athletes that a good SEC team can roll out.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

If Fine were redshirted he would have ZERO game experience next year when we should be improved in most other areas.  How do you know that bulking up would reduce his chances of injury?  You're not going to make him 6-3, 210 pounds with his frame.  He is in tremendous shape and the added weight might diminish his ability to get out of the way.  He and Riley Dodge are not that much alike, especially in temperament, and unlike Dodge, Fine was not injured in high school.  Fine is a quarterback.  Dodge was an athlete playing quarterback.

Littrell is closer to the situation than anyone on this board and I believe that if Seth thought that his quarterback needed more physical development that he would've redshirted him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NewNTfan said:

I am very familiar with Fine's career at Locust Grove.  He is very fast, scrambles to buy himself time, runs as a last resort, almost always slides or runs out of bounds (usually after a first down), depending on his location on the field.  I have seen him jump, dive, whatever it takes for a first down when desperate though.  I have seen lots of guys have him in their grasp and he seems to get away.  I don't know of him ever missing any game time with an injury.  I have seen him take some tough hits and jump up like it is nothing.  He commands the field and his leadership is outstanding.

But this is at a level where 16-18 year olds play and on any given Friday night you might have 1 kid worthy of a FBS scholarship. 

5 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

If Fine were redshirted he would have ZERO game experience next year when we should be improved in most other areas.  How do you know that bulking up would reduce his chances of injury?  You're not going to make him 6-3, 210 pounds with his frame.  He is in tremendous shape and the added weight might diminish his ability to get out of the way.  He and Riley Dodge are not that much alike, especially in temperament, and unlike Dodge, Fine was not injured in high school.  Fine is a quarterback.  Dodge was an athlete playing quarterback.

Littrell is closer to the situation than anyone on this board and I believe that if Seth thought that his quarterback needed more physical development that he would've redshirted him.

This. I don't think it's an indictment on him that Littrell didn't start him against SMU either. He went with the obvious choice at the time, but seems to be willing to make adjustments very quickly. Sticking to my prediction of him being the regular starter by week 4 or 5. I'm a believer, and for the record I was not high on previous back-ups whom I won't name individually.

Some of you guys clearly underestimate offseason football. It's NOT about bulking up like this is a Mr Universe contest. The muscle comes with proper weight training, targeting areas of need like the legs, hips, & shoulders. Agility drills work in combination with the weight training and increase explosiveness, stamina, durability plus take USE of the added muscle.  Mason Fine will be an exponentially  better QB, physically, with one offseason under his belt than he is right now. There is zero doubt about this. 

On 9/5/2016 at 0:32 PM, ABrownGMG said:

Morris is not an awful quarterback, but he was not immediately the savior of this offense in week 1. If he doesn't get better in the next few weeks why wouldn't we just let Fine start the remainder of the season? I personally just don't see the point in letting a talented young quarterback waste a season sitting on the sideline without a redshirt. Would it not be better to let Fine get the experience and chemistry with a receiver group that is returning a good amount of the players next year? 

I'm asking as a legitimate question, not so much stating my view point. I want to know why we would let Fine sit if there's a good reason that I don't understand. 

i was bringing this up before the season... I thought even though it would have hurt to have Fine RS this year, and then start game 1 next year that would have been better. Better talent and a kid that has spent an entire year in the offense plus a staff that has been around for a year and it also allows us to present to other GRAD Transfers and transfers as well you will play here if your good enough. Now we will get only 3 and half or even less. 

But year question, is Morris has more "college" experience as in playing in hostile(even if he was on the bench the C-USA is nothing close to the SEC) and playing on a winning team. I personly would have liked it seeing Fine come in and start day 1 next year and take the bumps and bruises that we run into this year and let Fine see how someone like Morris bounces back, but now I wonder how Morris feels? Was Fine part of the gameplan for SMU? or was it because Morris under-performed? Something else? These are questions that we(the fans) will not know but the team does. 

20 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

i was bringing this up before the season... I thought even though it would have hurt to have Fine RS this year, and then start game 1 next year that would have been better. Better talent and a kid that has spent an entire year in the offense plus a staff that has been around for a year and it also allows us to present to other GRAD Transfers and transfers as well you will play here if your good enough. Now we will get only 3 and half or even less. 

But year question, is Morris has more "college" experience as in playing in hostile(even if he was on the bench the C-USA is nothing close to the SEC) and playing on a winning team. I personly would have liked it seeing Fine come in and start day 1 next year and take the bumps and bruises that we run into this year and let Fine see how someone like Morris bounces back, but now I wonder how Morris feels? Was Fine part of the gameplan for SMU? or was it because Morris under-performed? Something else? These are questions that we(the fans) will not know but the team does

http://www.hark.com/clips/jpfxxvdtwk-the-shadow-knows

9 minutes ago, NewNTfan said:

and I would bet Fine is one of the stronger guys on the team.  definitely per pound, but probably would out lift most of them.

The "per pound" thing I might buy.  But there is no way a 180 pound true freshman is outlifting a 280 pound 5th year senior.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, NewNTfan said:

and I would bet Fine is one of the stronger guys on the team.  definitely per pound, but probably would out lift most of them.

LOL! Alrighty...

180lb kid outlifting most of the FBS football program....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3